Author Topic: For the KSU WBB followers................(LONG)  (Read 3358 times)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
For the KSU WBB followers................(LONG)
« on: April 22, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »

I just got off the phone with Coach Ethridge (very nice lady).......

I'm not going to get into any specifics. But after a good 25 minute conversation with Kamie,
I am fully 100 percent behind this program. The players on the roster right now and the coaches are all extremely happy, on the same page, and are looking forward to working so hard for you and the University of Kansas State. And that's not just coach talk. It's the truth.

As I told Kamie, it's like a divorce.......and I would know since I have been through one. Things didn't work out between my ex-spouse and me. But that doesn't mean I have any hatred for her. I have always wished her well and hope she succeeds and has a happy life. Sometimes things just don't work out no matter how hard each party tries. The girls on this team will always care for Taelor............for Brianna........and for Alina. But they have all moved on to the next chapter and they are so excited about it. Just ask the girls - they will tell you. And while the coaching staff and players don't read the message board on a daily basis.......they do follow it from time to time, and some of the things that have been expressed on this forum can be hurtful to them....especially when there are things that are just not true.

I know some posters are going to be disappointed that I'm not giving you a "she said - - -she said" type of answer. I'm hoping and praying, though, that you will take my actions and just try to read my tone and come up with the same conclusion that I have. We have a terrific and hard working staff that has assembled a great bunch of students who are doing their best to excel as atheletes while at the same time trying to be the best role model they can be as they grow into adulthood.

Some people think it's easy for a player because they get a full ride or it's easy for a coach because they make this amount of money. Well, I'm telling you it's not. The players are supposed to put a winning result on the court while at the same time, go to a full work load of classes, and then to practice, and back at it the next day all over again. For the coaches, it's never ending not just with the teaching and the recruiting......but you have to mold these young ladies to represent K-State to it's finest. For those of you that have kids, you can know how extremely difficult that can be.

The phone call to me tonight sold me again on K-State women's basketball. And I'm going to do my darnest to spread that word. It's time to move on. I would hope that everyone will follow my lead here. That is your choice. I would not try to take that away from you. But this subject is closed. I can't wait until next fall when the season starts again....and I can't wait until this summer when I get a chance to hopefully see some of the girls who we are recruiting. And yes.......I do speak with a LOT of parent's recruits......and I guarantee you that I will be excited to let them know what a great place it would be for their daughter to play here if they ask me. Kamie told me they are working very hard at getting those post players that we desperately need. And I believe that we will get them!

Everyone have a great Easter and GO STATE !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also including what another poster (who is close to Shalee) found out and thought I would share her thoughts too....

We all need to be very careful as to what we believe... some things posted on this board have been outright lies.

In regards to the situation with the managers, I've been able to learn more of what really happened. The managers' scholarships were taken away but it was not for disciplinary or malicious reasons at all and all four managers were offered the chance to work as an hourly employee for the WBB program. I don't know what the circumstances behind this were but I do know that Dylan Griffin has said he is very thankful to have had three years of his college paid for and has enjoyed his time with the team. I don't know if he plans to continue as a manager or not.

I've also learned that while many schools offer scholarships for managers, many do not. For example, at Tennessee (a program that can't possibly have a shortage of funds for scholarships), managers are strictly volunteers for the first two years and are paid a stipend of $1,000/season for the third and fourth seasons. I can confidently say that even at an hourly wage, our managers would bring in well over $1,000 each season.

Now, moving on to the player departures...

I have learned that the reason our coaches are not talking is because they feel that anything they say will harm the former players' chances of being picked up by another quality program. The coaches intentions are to keep the Kansas State program strong, not to ruin the reputations of the departing players. Coach P and her staff see this as taking the high road even if it means that they are taking some hits along the way. Their top priority is the with the 8 girls who are continuing as a part of the team.

As Catchick mentioned in another thread, there are players who are here to stay and they deserve our support. Those girls are reading this board and are very upset by some of the things that have been posted. These girls need our support now just like they will need it next season when they are joined by two more players who WANT to be a part of this program. These 8 young women would probably love to get on here and tell us all the real story, but they are also above doing this. They aren't going to bad-mouth teammates even if they are former teammates. I see this as much like a family who chooses to keep their dirty laundry at home instead of sharing it with the public.

Having had some time to think things through and reflect on what I know of the WBB program through my time in stands and traveling on holiday trips, I know that there are some things that Coach Patterson places a great deal of emphasis on and that she will not back away from. She expects her players to be positive individuals who do not bring negativity to the team. She expects them to be honest and trustworthy. She expects them to work hard in their classes and during practice while at the same time remaining humble and always putting the team above the individual. Jealousy and conceit do not have a place on her team and all her players know this. Those of you who have been fortunate enough to see the team off the court will know what I mean when I say that our team benefits from these ideals because they are friends off the court as well as teammates on the court. They have fun together and respect one another. Sometimes there are players who don't fit with this type of system and it's best for the team if they are gone.

Think about groups you've been involved with or watched over the years, not just teams either. Haven't you seen many times where one person was able to break down a group and cause all kind of problems? I have been in different work situations where one or two individuals could break down trust and cause lots of animosity that ended up hurting the entire workplace. I've also seen that atmosphere change when the individual moved on to a new job. I've also seen teams where one person could disrupt the flow and performance of the team by being selfish and negative. Know what I'm talking about? By holding to these high standards, the coaching staff is teaching players the value of being positive and contributing to best of their ability and these skills will carry over to any situations the girls find themselves in whether it be at work, PTA, professional team, etc.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: For the KSU WBB followers................(LONG)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »
Can you summarize the latest fiasco that the nutjob women's coach has created.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
Oh . . . and further proof that this $2 million dollar a year loser women's basketball program needs to be shut down.   Replaced with chick soccer for Title 9 and then Hockey on the men's side.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:19 PM »

This.

WTF Happened. Players banging the manager or something?  :dunno:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
http://www.kstatecollegian.com/news/three-players-unexpectedly-leaving-women-s-basketball-team-1.2545268

So what, they weren't making the chapel hours and had issues?

K-State needs to fire this bitch before Deb gets our ass sued big time. 

Let go JC, warm up your pen.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »

This.

Rick Daris is Catfan28 on GPC.  I'll pm him and try to get the inside scoop.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »
has the women's program ever used all their scholarships for a given year?

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
:dnr:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »

This.

Could be related to players rebuffing Kamie and Deb's advances? They are an item, right?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Oh . . . and further proof that this $2 million dollar a year loser women's basketball program needs to be shut down.   Replaced with chick soccer for Title 9 and then Hockey on the men's side.

oh my god yes. to all that.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »

oh my god yes. to all that.

+1

Deb's ability to win < Ability for women's basketball program to lose money

I know women's basketball will never make money, so if we're not gonna win at least hire the cheapest coach possible

I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »
Quote from: ESPN
Many Division I schools are distorting the number of students participating in sports so they can comply with Title IX, The New York Times reported Tuesday. Among the tactics is to pad rosters of women's teams with unqualified players or even men.

The newspaper found schools counted athletes who no longer wanted to compete or never played for that team, listing male practice players as women and trimming the rosters of men's teams.

The Times analyzed public records from more than 20 colleges and universities and federal participation statistics from all 345 institutions at the NCAA's highest level.

"Those of us in the business know that universities have been end-running Title IX for a long time, and they do it until they get caught," University of Miami President Donna Shalala told the paper.

National champion Texas A&M and Duke are among the elite women's basketball teams that take advantage of a federal loophole that allows them to report male practice players as female participants, the report said.

Passed in 1972, Title IX is a federal law that bans sex discrimination in schools and opened academic and sports opportunities for women.

Schools can comply in one of three ways:

- show proportionality of female athletes to female students on campus.

-demonstrate a history of increasing sports for women.

-prove it has met the interest and ability of the underrepresented group.

Women have grown to 53 percent of the student body at Division I schools, yet make up 46 percent of all athletes.

Instead of putting money into new women's teams or trimming the rosters of football, which can have 111 players, some schools are engaging in "roster management," the Times said. Shrinking budgets can prompt such an approach.

"It's easier to add more people on a roster than it is to start a new sport," said Jake Crouthamel, a former Syracuse athletic director.

Really hope we are doing this
I'm purple down

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 06:31:44 AM »
Quote from: ESPN
Many Division I schools are distorting the number of students participating in sports so they can comply with Title IX, The New York Times reported Tuesday. Among the tactics is to pad rosters of women's teams with unqualified players or even men.

The newspaper found schools counted athletes who no longer wanted to compete or never played for that team, listing male practice players as women and trimming the rosters of men's teams.

The Times analyzed public records from more than 20 colleges and universities and federal participation statistics from all 345 institutions at the NCAA's highest level.

"Those of us in the business know that universities have been end-running Title IX for a long time, and they do it until they get caught," University of Miami President Donna Shalala told the paper.

National champion Texas A&M and Duke are among the elite women's basketball teams that take advantage of a federal loophole that allows them to report male practice players as female participants, the report said.

Passed in 1972, Title IX is a federal law that bans sex discrimination in schools and opened academic and sports opportunities for women.

Schools can comply in one of three ways:

- show proportionality of female athletes to female students on campus.

-demonstrate a history of increasing sports for women.

-prove it has met the interest and ability of the underrepresented group.

Women have grown to 53 percent of the student body at Division I schools, yet make up 46 percent of all athletes.

Instead of putting money into new women's teams or trimming the rosters of football, which can have 111 players, some schools are engaging in "roster management," the Times said. Shrinking budgets can prompt such an approach.

"It's easier to add more people on a roster than it is to start a new sport," said Jake Crouthamel, a former Syracuse athletic director.

Really hope we are doing this
I know they have used male practice players in the past, don't know if we reported them as estroballers though.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »

I just got off the phone with Coach Ethridge (very nice lady).......

I'm not going to get into any specifics. But after a good 25 minute conversation with Kamie,
I am fully 100 percent behind this program. The players on the roster right now and the coaches are all extremely happy, on the same page, and are looking forward to working so hard for you and the University of Kansas State. And that's not just coach talk. It's the truth.

As I told Kamie, it's like a divorce.......and I would know since I have been through one. Things didn't work out between my ex-spouse and me. But that doesn't mean I have any hatred for her. I have always wished her well and hope she succeeds and has a happy life. Sometimes things just don't work out no matter how hard each party tries. The girls on this team will always care for Taelor............for Brianna........and for Alina. But they have all moved on to the next chapter and they are so excited about it. Just ask the girls - they will tell you. And while the coaching staff and players don't read the message board on a daily basis.......they do follow it from time to time, and some of the things that have been expressed on this forum can be hurtful to them....especially when there are things that are just not true.

I know some posters are going to be disappointed that I'm not giving you a "she said - - -she said" type of answer. I'm hoping and praying, though, that you will take my actions and just try to read my tone and come up with the same conclusion that I have. We have a terrific and hard working staff that has assembled a great bunch of students who are doing their best to excel as atheletes while at the same time trying to be the best role model they can be as they grow into adulthood.

Some people think it's easy for a player because they get a full ride or it's easy for a coach because they make this amount of money. Well, I'm telling you it's not. The players are supposed to put a winning result on the court while at the same time, go to a full work load of classes, and then to practice, and back at it the next day all over again. For the coaches, it's never ending not just with the teaching and the recruiting......but you have to mold these young ladies to represent K-State to it's finest. For those of you that have kids, you can know how extremely difficult that can be.

The phone call to me tonight sold me again on K-State women's basketball. And I'm going to do my darnest to spread that word. It's time to move on. I would hope that everyone will follow my lead here. That is your choice. I would not try to take that away from you. But this subject is closed. I can't wait until next fall when the season starts again....and I can't wait until this summer when I get a chance to hopefully see some of the girls who we are recruiting. And yes.......I do speak with a LOT of parent's recruits......and I guarantee you that I will be excited to let them know what a great place it would be for their daughter to play here if they ask me. Kamie told me they are working very hard at getting those post players that we desperately need. And I believe that we will get them!

Everyone have a great Easter and GO STATE !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also including what another poster (who is close to Shalee) found out and thought I would share her thoughts too....

We all need to be very careful as to what we believe... some things posted on this board have been outright lies.

In regards to the situation with the managers, I've been able to learn more of what really happened. The managers' scholarships were taken away but it was not for disciplinary or malicious reasons at all and all four managers were offered the chance to work as an hourly employee for the WBB program. I don't know what the circumstances behind this were but I do know that Dylan Griffin has said he is very thankful to have had three years of his college paid for and has enjoyed his time with the team. I don't know if he plans to continue as a manager or not.

I've also learned that while many schools offer scholarships for managers, many do not. For example, at Tennessee (a program that can't possibly have a shortage of funds for scholarships), managers are strictly volunteers for the first two years and are paid a stipend of $1,000/season for the third and fourth seasons. I can confidently say that even at an hourly wage, our managers would bring in well over $1,000 each season.

Now, moving on to the player departures...

I have learned that the reason our coaches are not talking is because they feel that anything they say will harm the former players' chances of being picked up by another quality program. The coaches intentions are to keep the Kansas State program strong, not to ruin the reputations of the departing players. Coach P and her staff see this as taking the high road even if it means that they are taking some hits along the way. Their top priority is the with the 8 girls who are continuing as a part of the team.

As Catchick mentioned in another thread, there are players who are here to stay and they deserve our support. Those girls are reading this board and are very upset by some of the things that have been posted. These girls need our support now just like they will need it next season when they are joined by two more players who WANT to be a part of this program. These 8 young women would probably love to get on here and tell us all the real story, but they are also above doing this. They aren't going to bad-mouth teammates even if they are former teammates. I see this as much like a family who chooses to keep their dirty laundry at home instead of sharing it with the public.

Having had some time to think things through and reflect on what I know of the WBB program through my time in stands and traveling on holiday trips, I know that there are some things that Coach Patterson places a great deal of emphasis on and that she will not back away from. She expects her players to be positive individuals who do not bring negativity to the team. She expects them to be honest and trustworthy. She expects them to work hard in their classes and during practice while at the same time remaining humble and always putting the team above the individual. Jealousy and conceit do not have a place on her team and all her players know this. Those of you who have been fortunate enough to see the team off the court will know what I mean when I say that our team benefits from these ideals because they are friends off the court as well as teammates on the court. They have fun together and respect one another. Sometimes there are players who don't fit with this type of system and it's best for the team if they are gone.

Think about groups you've been involved with or watched over the years, not just teams either. Haven't you seen many times where one person was able to break down a group and cause all kind of problems? I have been in different work situations where one or two individuals could break down trust and cause lots of animosity that ended up hurting the entire workplace. I've also seen that atmosphere change when the individual moved on to a new job. I've also seen teams where one person could disrupt the flow and performance of the team by being selfish and negative. Know what I'm talking about? By holding to these high standards, the coaching staff is teaching players the value of being positive and contributing to best of their ability and these skills will carry over to any situations the girls find themselves in whether it be at work, PTA, professional team, etc.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
+1

Deb's ability to win < Ability for women's basketball program to lose money

I know women's basketball will never make money, so if we're not gonna win at least hire the cheapest coach possible

FYP

No one gives a crap if you win at women's basketball.  Unless you're Texas and have all of the money in the world to spend on non-revenue sports, you should go on the cheap and spend all of your money on football and men's basketball, and use that revenue to gain more money to stay competitive in those sports.

Women's basketball is a luxury for a small group of people who long for the days of buttcheek basketball shorts and rules disallowing dunking.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »
"I just want to say that Texas and A&M was the national champion," said junior Jalana Childs of the women's basketball team. "We beat the national champions, so that makes us champions too."

:ksu:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 11:33:39 PM »
"I just want to say that Texas and A&M was the national champion," said junior Jalana Childs of the women's basketball team. "We beat the national champions, so that makes us champions too."

:ksu:

fantastic