Author Topic: Serious hbbiq thread  (Read 6279 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Serious hbbiq thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
First, can you call what Wally and Jamar were doing "shots" in the paint? They looked more like throws at the backboard to me.

Secondly, we were within 4 points with 11 minutes to go last year, if I'm not mistaken. Just sayin'. Not the same type of games at all.

True, we were in the game much longer last year. Defensively overall the games were about the same, but last year we actually hit some shots. We did allow them to shoot a ridiculously high percentage this year compared to last, though both were bad.

KU is super-efficient with the ball.  Part of that is because they have great players, and the other part is that they are coached extremely well.  Whenever I watch them I am amazed at how easy it seems for them to get open looks.  This is one area where we have always struggled under Frank.  I don't think that playing JYC style defense is mutually exclusive from running crisp offense. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »
KU is super-efficient with the ball.  Part of that is because they have great players, and the other part is that they are coached extremely well.  Whenever I watch them I am amazed at how easy it seems for them to get open looks.  This is one area where we have always struggled under Frank.  I don't think that playing JYC style defense is mutually exclusive from running crisp offense. 

No, its not. But having really good players makes it easier to run crisp offense. We just have many more raw players and players you have to develop much more than KU does. Wally Judge is the only player on our roster that was RSCI Top 100. KU has 7. Our only choice is to win with JYC, KU can play pretty good defense, but also have great offense.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
Maybe we should stop recruiting raw offensive players. :dunno:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »

No, its not. But having really good players makes it easier to run crisp offense. We just have many more raw players and players you have to develop much more than KU does. Wally Judge is the only player on our roster that was RSCI Top 100. KU has 7. Our only choice is to win with JYC, KU can play pretty good defense, but also have great offense.

I don't disagree, and I said as much.  I guess the thing that bothers me is just how out of synch we always seem to be.  It is clear that we aren't the team that people thought we were in the preseason but there is no reason that we should've struggled like we have so far this year.  I really think that Frank has bludgeoned this team so much that it is killing them.  The substitutions, the benchings, blaming players, it is Frank's job to put the team in a position to win, not the other way around.  The yelling wasn't going to be effective when we were down by so much tonight, so what did Frank do?   He pouted like a rough ridin' baby on the sidelines.  

I'm going off topic, sorry, I am frusterated.  I feel like Frank is failing this team, out of sheer hard-headedness.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
I don't disagree, and I said as much.  I guess the thing that bothers me is just how out of synch we always seem to be.  It is clear that we aren't the team that people thought we were in the preseason but there is no reason that we should've struggled like we have so far this year.  I really think that Frank has bludgeoned this team so much that it is killing them.  The substitutions, the benchings, blaming players, it is Frank's job to put the team in a position to win, not the other way around.  The yelling wasn't going to be effective when we were down by so much tonight, so what did Frank do?   He pouted like a effing baby on the sidelines. 

I'm going off topic, sorry, I am frusterated.  I feel like Frank is failing this team, out of sheer hard-headedness.

Yeah, I can see that. No doubt, Frank has made plenty of mistakes with this team.

But again, I don't get overly frustrated after these games. I can see these coming, its the OSU and CU games that kill us and make these games worse. This team put itself in position that there is very little room for error and now they have to live with it; Frank, staff, players, and (unfortunately) fans.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 10:27:38 PM »
What I don't understand is how we have traditionally done better at KU playing in zones and also agressively attacking the rim (especially when we cant hit a jumper), but neither of these seem like part of the game plan year after year.  I remember stretches where we would make runs in the past and a lot of that was centered around switching to zones and KU taking 2 minutes to get back into rhythm.  Drives me nuts that this did not seem to be a part of the game plan tonight.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
First, can you call what Wally and Jamar were doing "shots" in the paint? They looked more like throws at the backboard to me.

Secondly, we were within 4 points with 11 minutes to go last year, if I'm not mistaken. Just sayin'. Not the same type of games at all.

True, we were in the game much longer last year. Defensively overall the games were about the same, but last year we actually hit some shots. We did allow them to shoot a ridiculously high percentage this year compared to last, though both were bad.

KU has 18.3 assists per game. (I say this because that seems to be the best stat in terms of measuring how well oiled a machine is) Must be nice.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:17 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »
MEH!

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »
KU is super-efficient with the ball.  Part of that is because they have great players, and the other part is that they are coached extremely well.  Whenever I watch them I am amazed at how easy it seems for them to get open looks.  This is one area where we have always struggled under Frank.  I don't think that playing JYC style defense is mutually exclusive from running crisp offense.  

I'm not buying the talent level being the reason we can't run crisp offense, you don't have to be a 5star to set screens, seal, move without the ball etc.  Hell every year you get to watch 2 or 3 mid-majors run crisp offense in the tornament with squat for talent. :jerk:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:56:42 PM by gatoveintisiete »
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »

I'm not buying the talent level being the reason we can't run crisp offense, you don't have to be a 5star to set screens, seal, move without the ball etc.  Hell every year you get to watch 2 or 3 mid-majors run crisp offense in the tornament with squat for talent. :jerk:

You know what ultimately makes good offense? Making shots. We had plenty of good looks at the basket in the first half while KU built their lead, we just didn't make very many of them. I'll grant that our offense doesn't have a lot of "pretty flow", but we still had plenty of decent shots and weren't just turning it over all the time. We just didn't make shots.

But we stunk just as bad on defense tonight, so it didn't really matter.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 11:50:20 PM »
I think it's pretty easy to see that this "poor shooting" we've had over the last month is due, in large part, to none of the players having any confidence in this offense. It seems wholly unfamiliar to everyone and players are shocked when they have an open shot.

I admit to having a LBBIQ, but even I know that any offense that makes pressuring the ball (25 ft away from the basket) so easy is never gonna work. Especially when the idea behind the offense seems to be very small windows in the defense that require split second timing on passes.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 02:49:36 AM »
I think it's pretty easy to see that this "poor shooting" we've had over the last month is due, in large part, to none of the players having any confidence in this offense. It seems wholly unfamiliar to everyone and players are shocked when they have an open shot.

I admit to having a LBBIQ, but even I know that any offense that makes pressuring the ball (25 ft away from the basket) so easy is never gonna work. Especially when the idea behind the offense seems to be very small windows in the defense that require split second timing on passes.

everyone that plays ku this year should press the hell out of them until their guards show they can handle it.

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »

Curtis Kelly was RSCI Top 100. #30 to be precise.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 09:27:27 AM »
the season is pretty easy to sum up.  kelly was suspended 6 games, we lost 3 of them.  we win 2 of those 3 and everything is fine.  

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »
Backdoor cuts.