Author Topic: Basement Repair  (Read 3285 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Basement Repair
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 04:26:30 PM »
What kind of cracks are they? horizontal? Vertical? On the corner? near the center of the wall?

a couple <1/8" inch cracks horizontal, and near the center

sounds like this japanese girl i did back in high school
wow it just got fracking racist up in here.

wow, I am completely flabbergasted, that came out of nowhere.  I had no idea 'sclams has such a problem with people from the great Orient.
i ate at panda express today, GTFOOMF
The fact that you think this exonerates you speaks volumes.  :nono:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
Sounds like your main problem is drainage.  Make sure the ground slopes away from the house all the way around.  Keeping the water away from the foundation is your first step.  Once you've done that, then you can worry about crack-filling.

Do you happen to know how deep the static groundwater level is in your location?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
What kind of cracks are they? horizontal? Vertical? On the corner? near the center of the wall?

a couple <1/8" inch cracks horizontal, and near the center

How long are the cracks? If they're more than 3-4 feet, that could be bad. Horizontal means structural weakness in the wall itself. Are the walls still even and vertical? Do they bow at all?

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »
I might add my current basement is not a cinder block foundation it is concrete and is not structurally sound and that is why it has braces holding the wall up.  It has not moved in 30 years and we will replace the wall when we have the time and money but for now we have stopped the leaks, and did a semi finish job textured the wall and painted.

Nothing should be growing in our walls as I said they are not cinder block I guess I should have explained that in advance.  Also our cracks were about 30 feet long horizontal and 1/2" in areas but again no leaks and moisture free for now.  Like I said we have some work to do to fix the basement but the inspectors (3) the we had look at the house said it is structurally sound as long as the braces are in place.     

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »
I might add my current basement is not a cinder block foundation it is concrete and is not structurally sound and that is why it has braces holding the wall up.  It has not moved in 30 years and we will replace the wall when we have the time and money but for now we have stopped the leaks, and did a semi finish job textured the wall and painted.

Nothing should be growing in our walls as I said they are not cinder block I guess I should have explained that in advance.  Also our cracks were about 30 feet long horizontal and 1/2" in areas but again no leaks and moisture free for now.  Like I said we have some work to do to fix the basement but the inspectors (3) the we had look at the house said it is structurally sound as long as the braces are in place.     

Yeah, with concrete walls, you did the right thing. Patching and bracing is about all you can do.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
Not a basement but fairly similar...I live in an earth contact house where my back wall backs up to dirt.  Had a few cracks forming in the hallway and garage with some water getting in when it rained a decent amount.  Had some guys come over and the first day they put a patching over the cracks.  The next day they drilled holes in it and pumped a sealer in.  Haven't had any problems. I think it cost about $800 for 20' of crack.  The more feet of cracks there were the cheaper it was.  Now if there's wood or more severe structural damage, that's a whole different story.