Author Topic: Recruiting, relative to the rest of the conference  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Recruiting, relative to the rest of the conference
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Recruiting outcomes, relative to others within one's own conference, for 2015. Bill's class is over 1/2 of a standard deviation below the conference average. I have to think this would hold over time, considering we seem to land about the same in the recruiting rankings in conference every year.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/2/11/8008017/ohio-state-florida-state-boise-state-football-recruiting-2015

Considering our success on the field, Bill remains a golden god.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting, relative to the rest of the conference
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
We are mere Ewoks bowing down to our C3PO.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:10:42 AM »
it's amazing how people think our bad recruiting actually reflects positively on Bill/the staff
emaw

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:30:45 PM »
it's amazing how people think our bad recruiting actually reflects positively on Bill/the staff

Ha. There is some truth in this statement, although I find it unlikely that many people would recruit better and match the results on the field.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
One could argue that our results show we are very good recruiters

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
I think we are probably top 4 in the conference at recruiting. Maybe even top 3.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »
Talent evaluation and recruiting aren't the same thing guys.

We have great evaluators and so so recruiters.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »

they're directly related. one and the same.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:26:55 PM »

they're directly related. one and the same.
Sort of but not really. I could explain but I don't really think it's necessary.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
I would argue that talent development and recruiting are not the same thing.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »

good "recruiting" makes "talent development" much easier. It's a mistake to assume Snyder is just randomly landing scrubs without putting into thought into it and magically turning them into good players.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 02:31:22 PM »

good "recruiting" makes "talent development" much easier. It's a mistake to assume Snyder is just randomly landing scrubs without putting into thought into it and magically turning them into good players.

Oh, I agree that bill isn't just landing just anyone.  We are pretty good at recruiting kids that will work as hard and do whatever bill asks of them.  We are shitty at recruiting high athletically talented kids.  We just are also shitty at recruiting kids that have a high level of athletic talent and are open to the type of coaching that develops talent as well as bill does. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »

Oh, I agree that bill isn't just landing just anyone.  We are pretty good at recruiting kids that will work as hard and do whatever bill asks of them.  We are shitty at recruiting high athletically talented kids.  We just are also shitty at recruiting kids that have a high level of athletic talent and are open to the type of coaching that develops talent as well as bill does.

We get a lot of high athletic talent. The idea that these kids just work really hard and become all Big 12 despite not being as athletic as higher rated kids at other schools who don't is false. We don't win a lot of recruiting battles against other conference schools, though. So I can buy the "good talent evaluator, poor recruiter" argument. Snyder's staff is really good at finding talent at smaller schools or talent that gets passed up by other schools due to size. We are good at finding athletes that fit into our system.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »
This sounds like a chicken or the egg argument.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »

We get a lot of high athletic talent. The idea that these kids just work really hard and become all Big 12 despite not being as athletic as higher rated kids at other schools who don't is false. We don't win a lot of recruiting battles against other conference schools, though. So I can buy the "good talent evaluator, poor recruiter" argument. Snyder's staff is really good at finding talent at smaller schools or talent that gets passed up by other schools due to size. We are good at finding athletes that fit into our system.

we also don't engage in many battles against other conference schools. chicken or egg.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
I remember an interview with Stanbot where Stanbot accompanied Snyder on a recruiting trip.  Said that LHCBS evaluated players like cattle, commenting on physical attributes, with special attention to muscularity of buttocks.  True story.

So.....

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 04:57:25 PM »
I remember an interview with Stanbot where Stanbot accompanied Snyder on a recruiting trip.  Said that LHCBS evaluated players like cattle, commenting on physical attributes, with special attention to muscularity of buttocks.  True story.

So.....

So basically The Manhatter is LHCBS :Wha:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »

we also don't engage in many battles against other conference schools. chicken or egg.

enjoyed this post
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
If any of you have espn insider xavier kelly released his top 8 schools today but ya know espn wants money to view the article.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:05 PM »
looking forward to that insider article
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile