Author Topic: Do you miss the BCS?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Do you miss the BCS?
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:19:37 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Do you miss the BCS?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »
That article mentions the potential "risks and rewards" of having the confy champ game. The "risk" is there when the divisions are lopsided and there is a team with everything to lose vs a team with nothing, or not nearly as much to lose. If we were putting the best 2 teams from the round robin format into a rematch--which would have been the case with Baylor and tcu last year--then it would have provided that 13th quality game and 10000% chance the winner is a playoff pick, probably 2nd seed

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »
That article mentions the potential "risks and rewards" of having the confy champ game. The "risk" is there when the divisions are lopsided and there is a team with everything to lose vs a team with nothing, or not nearly as much to lose. If we were putting the best 2 teams from the round robin format into a rematch--which would have been the case with Baylor and tcu last year--then it would have provided that 13th quality game and 10000% chance the winner is a playoff pick, probably 2nd seed

How often will a 10 team Big 12 be able to produce 2 teams with a legitimate shot at the playoffs? More often than not they will have 1 team that would get in without a championship game, and the game will serve as nothing more than a needless hurdle that they still have to clear to get in. It will hurt more often than it helps.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »

How often will a 10 team Big 12 be able to produce 2 teams with a legitimate shot at the playoffs? More often than not they will have 1 team that would get in without a championship game, and the game will serve as nothing more than a needless hurdle that they still have to clear to get in. It will hurt more often than it helps.

I don't have strong feelings either way at this point, but I do wonder if adding a champ game does help one loss (assuming it is not in the champ game) conference teams get into the playoff.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »
When we finish the regular season undefeated and lose the semi-final, then I'll miss the BCS. Otherwise, the playoff is superior in every way.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
The Big 12 adding a champ game is dumb.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »

I mean...pretty much every year since we've gone to 10 teams, a rematch of the top 2 would have probably yielded a playoff berth to the winner. Unequivocally in 2014, very likely in 2011....Although in fairness 2011 OSU would have made the playoff had it been in place

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
We should get a waiver for 4 ooc games instead.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »

9 home games would be pretty amazing.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 01:29:05 PM »
 :shakesfist:

9 home games would be pretty amazing.
Yes. It also sounds borderline illegal to "disqualify" is for not playing an extra game. Legal routes would know more about that tho. It's also ridiculous to make the victorious co champ beat a team twice. Only fair scenario is to allow our conference the option to play an extra game.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
I like the BCS gone because now those fans in Lawrence can't use the whole "durrrr we have a BCS bowl game win durrrr" line constantly.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »

This would be good as long as one game has to be against a P5 team.