Author Topic: :nono: Hoi  (Read 4791 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: :nono: Hoi
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
Pffft.  NCAA only trying to look like they're doing something by nailing a program that self-reports violations.  Hell, looking at established cheaters would take work, and if NCAA investigators wanted to work, they'd get themselves a job.

First of all, they haven't and won't nail ISU. Unless they find out that ISU is not completely disclosing the truth, the Clones are likely to get the two years of probation that they themselves asked for. Secondly, I'm confused about your point about "established cheaters" when the controversy that they are currently involved in is related to them busting an established cheating program and people getting butthurt about it.

2 years probation isn't nailing ISU?  Do you understand the consequences if something ELSE should happen while ISU is on probation?  It raises the level of jeopardy to their entire athletic department if something else surfaces, self-reported or not.

When I make mention of "established cheaters", it's collegiate programs where there are incidental or anecdotal disclosures of inappropriate benefits, or other violations of NCAA rules more serious than inappropriate contact with recruits.  Here, I'd cite the absence of scrutiny of NCAA in the multi-year Penn State scandal, or their notable absence in the more recent Rutgers scandal.  The information is out there, a good investigator can find it, but you have to look for it.  NCAA prefers the shooting-ducks-in-the-barrel approach of investigating self-reported violations. 

Yeah, I'm butthurt that the NCAA is patently ineffective.  Probably shouldn't be.

No, it isn't nailing ISU because that's what ISU is asking for. And no I don't think probation is that big of a deal. K-State had its football program, track program, and women's basketball program under probation at the same time for completely different infractions and nothing happened to the school or any of those programs. You can get violations while on probation and not get hammered as long as you don't get something like LOIC or you don't lie to the NCAA.

You mentioned Rutgers, you meant Auburn right? I hope you don't think the NCAA should also play a role in how schools handle personnel decisions. You also mentioned Penn State which also falls outside of the scope of what they should be enforcing. The reason why their investigators can't find these things, like the Auburn case is that they don't/can't have the proper number of investigators they need for all of these schools. There's more media devoted to covering Kansas State athletics than there are NCAA investigators, how are they supposed to find all of this stuff? I don't think the NCAA is as ineffective as people make it out to be and I know the membership feels the same way. It's hilarious because for most people and the media the NCAA can't possibly win. There are very vocal media people who think the NCAA should do more; Penn State should have gotten punishment and should have gotten the death penalty for instance. Yet there are people who think they should do less; pay players, drop the Miami investigation, etc. Using the NCAA as a punching bag is pretty lazy and usually short-sighted.

Hey, if you're OK with NCAA making examples of self-reporters, you'll just have to accept I'm not on that page with you.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
lol, but Kentucky remains untouched.

Probably because they don't need to cheat.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 07:30:53 PM »
lol, but Kentucky remains untouched.

Probably because they don't need to cheat.
It is easier to prove phone calls then it is to prove briefcases stuffed with money.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 08:08:35 PM »
Hey, if you're OK with NCAA making examples of self-reporters, you'll just have to accept I'm not on that page with you.

ISU: Hey NCAA, we were recruiting when we should have, making phone calls and sending text messages we shouldn't been doing, and not logging the calls we were supposed to make. We think you should just give us probation for two years.

NCAA: Fine, whatever. Don't do those things for two years, otherwise carry on.

ISU: Thanks bros, we'll do better

You're right, the NCAA shouldn't be so mean to ISU. They really seem like heartless jerks here.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
To give you an idea of how little probation means, Alabama was on probation when they won the championship in 2010

big-time, high-level post.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 06:33:48 AM »
To give you an idea of how little probation means, Alabama was on probation when they won the championship in 2010

big-time, high-level post.

:excited:

:bawl:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
ISU is super dirty, no surprise.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 02:43:07 PM »
Ames is synonymous with filth.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline brucewebberismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »
Yeah, hoiberg did nothing wrong at all...

More like they threw Moore under the bus to save their asses. they probably paid him a fat chunk to keep his mouth shut too.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
Makes the conf look bad.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
We should be on probation every year.  I am not saying we do stuff now that would lead to this if known, I am saying we should be doing  the kind of shady stuff that will lead to it, as long as it doesn't lead to anything other than us saying "sorry" and still getting the fruit of the shady dealings.

seems like a no brainer

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 07:31:21 PM »
We should be on probation every year.  I am not saying we do stuff now that would lead to this if known, I am saying we should be doing  the kind of shady stuff that will lead to it, as long as it doesn't lead to anything other than us saying "sorry" and still getting the fruit of the shady dealings.

seems like a no brainer
Exactly.  If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.  Just enough for the NCAA to go but not Michigan us.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »

seems like a no brainer
Exactly.  If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.  Just enough for the NCAA to go but not Michigan us.

I am not sure what you are referring to as far as Michigan goes, but they seem to be doing just fine.   :dunno:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »
I'm referring to the handful of guys who couldn't buy tickets through their alumni association's awesome ticket packages, including hotel accommodations and 2 free drink tickets, because they were naughty 10 years ago.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 01:35:25 AM »
Probation is pretty much in the eye of the beholder...and major network (including ESPN) TV.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:01 AM »
So I guess deputy dawg is not in favor of Oregon getting any punishment, I mean they did self report.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »
Someone needs to tell ISU that you don 't have to cheat to win.

Offline brucewebberismyhero

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 12:21:25 AM »
LPIQ here.  So does being on probation mean no bowls no NCAA tournaments for two years?

sad but true. the ncaa investigated Arkansas from 1988 to 2002( almost the entire time Nolan Richardson was coach) and then came back and then said they couldnt find anything. Then as soon as richardson was fired they hit Arkansas with probation and loss of scholarships under the new APR rules of the time.