6 (10.2%)
1911 (3-0)
4 (6.8%)
1910 (5-0)
24 (40.7%)
1865 Forfeit due to domination
25 (42.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Our best victory over Arkansas  (Read 7557 times)

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
Re: Our best victory over Arkansas
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 08:26:43 AM »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:30:04 AM by POWL »
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline the KHAN!

• Katpak'r
  • The Prince of Darkness and Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
I imagine Arkansas' role in the confederacy was pretty similar to its role in the SEC...Arkansas thought they were a full-fledged member of the gang, when in fact Louisiana and Alabama just let them hang around so they could run those Arkansans out as cannon fodder. After which, the dead and maimed Arkansans totally bragged about what an honor it was.

Come on man really?  You clowns are not even second fittle to the Texas and Oklahoma schools.  You are 2 notches behind Missouri, just behind Kansas, but thank God for Iowa State.  At least they keep you off the very bottom.

Struck a nerve have we?

GUYS, INSULT THEIR ROLL IN THE CONFEDERACY! IT'S THEIR BIGGEST WEAKNESS!

Did you know Lee once called men from Arkansas "the worst men in the south"?  Must sting.
The Scheme Doctor
Up the Banana Wall

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »
Over the holidays, I grabbed my great-grandfather’s memoirs from my parents’ house and found a few passages describing his encounters with piggaggie.

He was with a large contingent of wealthy alumni that followed Coach Ahearn down to Fayetteville in 1910.

“There was a quite the hullabaloo about the consequence of playing some backwoods school, that wasn’t even a member of an athletic conference, on our reputation among our peers in the Kansas Intercollegiate Athletic Association.”

He said a Fayetteville newspaper, that used a lot of woodcuts to illustrate its articles, caught wind of the controversy and ran a story about it. Some pigaggie were offended and wrote a jig that boasted of their wins over Drury College and Henderson State. Quaint.

“The prolific offense pigaggie alleged in song and slander never manifested, and it was just another  humdrum, workaday victory for State.”

After the game, he decided to go Hot Springs for the mineral baths and horse wagering, but it sounded far from relaxing.

Apparently at every stop pigaggie kept soliciting him to “dig for diamonds” in their fallow fields. For six bits, they’d give him a bucket and a spade and let him keep "whatever he found." I guess it was incredibly vexing for him to have to repeatedly take the Patek Philippe out of his pocket, open the face and explain that he would just assume let other people do that kind of work for him.

He didn’t say much about the 1911 game, other than that he served pigaggie soup with the hospitality committee and heard accounts of dozens of deaths from typhoid during their barge ride up to Kansas City. Sad.

In the Argonne, my great-grandfather had a number pigaggie under his command.

“In no other men did I witness such high morale under such trying circumstances.”

By his accounts, they were just giddy to have a regular supply of canned beef and hard bread, not to mention shoes, but it took the threat of corporal punishment to get them to stop frolicking around in the trench filth and join the offensive.

By 1926, defeating Arkansas had become “old hat” so there wasn’t much of an account of the game aside from witnessing the vulgar hog calling that my great-grandfather found perplexing, as in his experience pigaggie couldn’t afford to keep livestock.

“By my summation, pigaggie are a simple, spirited folk who, on the whole, are perfectly content with their miserable lot in life. Bless them for that.”