Author Topic: Water Bill  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Water Bill
« on: November 02, 2018, 10:21:31 AM »
How much is your water bill?

Mine was $59.71 this month.  No idea if this is good or bad, I pay it just the same.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Water Bill
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »
mine is combined with my gas bill so is pretty low in spring and fall and pretty high in summer and winter. probably avg about $70 a month.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »
Are we pooping too much?  I turned off the sprinklers!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »
kids need to wash their hands a lot

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
I never pay attention to the bill and sometimes worry that there is some underground leak that I'm unaware of costing me thousands.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
My last bill was $51.49
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
I never pay attention to the bill and sometimes worry that there is some underground leak that I'm unaware of costing me thousands.

I legit went to City Hall and checked to make sure I was paying my water bill because it was on Auto-Pay on a CC that was also on AutoPay and I never saw the bill and was worried something was very wrong.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
I think mine is around $65 a month or so.  My children take 20 minute showers everyday and flush the toilet 1000 times a day.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 10:55:00 AM »
Last summer, I decided that I needed to power wash our fence. Months later, my wife made a comment about the water bill from that.  :rolleyes:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
i don't think mine has ever been over 30. just me and mrs. blast though and we don't use a ton of water for various reasons.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
mine has been consistently over $100/mo for like a year and a half now. i think it's because of all the sewer main replacements  :blindfold:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
Mine's between 80-90 a month.

My sewers are lined with gold.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »
mine has been consistently over $100/mo for like a year and a half now. i think it's because of all the sewer main replacements  :blindfold:

thanks again, people who always blindly vote against any taxes aimed at fixing stuff

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »
Are water bills all the same within a water bill collecting area and other fees like specials take care of maintenance/new construction?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 12:33:28 PM »
Are water bills all the same within a water bill collecting area and other fees like specials take care of maintenance/new construction?

Where I live they vary by age of the neighborhood.  Newer neighborhoods pay more for the sewers.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »
I think mine is around $65 a month or so.  My children take 20 minute showers everyday and flush the toilet 1000 times a day.

This.  My oldest likes to sit in the bathtub with hot water running for about half an hour while shaving her legs, then she takes a 20 minute shower.  She doesn't know it, but I just take her portion of the bill out of her checking account.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »

It depends on local regulations.  Some communities are pretty even across the board.  Others may charge industrial/commercial different rates due to increased usage (larger pipes, more outflow, etc..).  Others may have different districts that get credits based on where their water goes, age of pipes, etc..  Others provide service to rural customers and they generally get charged a higher rate than people within the service area.  Even other areas will be levied under special taxes for the particular area, where the citizens of a neighborhood pay extra fees/taxes to pay for new pipes over a 10-15 year period.  <- these generally happen in new development areas.

Water itself, on average, costs like a tenth of a cent a gallon, so it is dirt cheap regardless of where you live.

Wastewater, for many communities, is calculated when your water usage would generally be at its lowest (winter months).  The water utility will average out the amount of water usage from like November through February, and then calculate your monthly sewer charges for the next year off of that.  So months where a lot of the water usage doesn't end up in the Sanitation sewer (yard watering, pool filling, etc..), isn't taken into account.  If you want to shave a few dollars of your bill, limit water usage as much as you can during the winter.

Storm Sewers are a different animal and every community does them differently.  In general, most communities use some formula based on the amount of impervious area on your property that would lead to stormwater runoff.  The formula generally includes what the landuse of the property is as well.  Most communities don't try to calculate the amount of impervious area on a single family property, so a lot of times, all those properties will just get charged the same fee, regardless of size.  Some put that as a monthly charge in your water bill, others just tack on that amount in your end of year property taxes. etc...  This is why you'll often find retention ponds on or near areas with lots of pavement as a company like walmart can get a huge discount on their stormwater fee if they route the water to their own storage pond.

You didn't ask for all that, so sorry for the extra info.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »

It depends on local regulations.  Some communities are pretty even across the board.  Others may charge industrial/commercial different rates due to increased usage (larger pipes, more outflow, etc..).  Others may have different districts that get credits based on where their water goes, age of pipes, etc..  Others provide service to rural customers and they generally get charged a higher rate than people within the service area.  Even other areas will be levied under special taxes for the particular area, where the citizens of a neighborhood pay extra fees/taxes to pay for new pipes over a 10-15 year period.  <- these generally happen in new development areas.

Water itself, on average, costs like a tenth of a cent a gallon, so it is dirt cheap regardless of where you live.

Wastewater, for many communities, is calculated when your water usage would generally be at its lowest (winter months).  The water utility will average out the amount of water usage from like November through February, and then calculate your monthly sewer charges for the next year off of that.  So months where a lot of the water usage doesn't end up in the Sanitation sewer (yard watering, pool filling, etc..), isn't taken into account.  If you want to shave a few dollars of your bill, limit water usage as much as you can during the winter.

Storm Sewers are a different animal and every community does them differently.  In general, most communities use some formula based on the amount of impervious area on your property that would lead to stormwater runoff.  The formula generally includes what the landuse of the property is as well.  Most communities don't try to calculate the amount of impervious area on a single family property, so a lot of times, all those properties will just get charged the same fee, regardless of size.  Some put that as a monthly charge in your water bill, others just tack on that amount in your end of year property taxes. etc...  This is why you'll often find retention ponds on or near areas with lots of pavement as a company like walmart can get a huge discount on their stormwater fee if they route the water to their own storage pond.

You didn't ask for all that, so sorry for the extra info.

Here in Hutchinson, we have a storm water runoff fee.  Basically business's are charged by the size of their paved parking lots, for the amount of excess water that runs into the storm system instead of soaking into the ground.

And I just read the last part of your post..... my bad

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »
mines right around that KK.
my rental (use to live in that house) had rural water, I called the guy to have it all transferred to my name and everything when we bought it.. He sent me the first bill and then never sent a bill again.. I called a couple of times and left a vm to let him know I never got a bill but never got a response.  tenant has lived there for about a year and a half and has never got a bill either..

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
like $200 in the summer, $80 in the winter.  that includes garbage, so the actual water part is like $20 in the winter and $140 in the summer.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »

washing clothes and showers

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
Maybe $30 total/mo., if that.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 06:56:52 AM »

washing clothes and showers

yep lol.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
Ours used to run around a $100 per month + sewer which was based on water usage.   Total was probably pushing two bills a month. Moved into a house 2.5 times larger that is all electric,  well water,  and septic tank for sewer. Highest electric bill for everything has been around $600..... average is probably about $400 a month.  Should go down with new heating/ cooling unit.
@mikec2w