Author Topic: Joint Checking Accounts  (Read 48196 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Joint Checking Accounts
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 05:27:24 PM »
joint acct to pay bills and whatever, sb private acct to buy drumset, mrs. sb private acct to buy cuisinart
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Joint Checking Accounts
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
put your money in a coffee can

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »
why a joint account?  seems unnecessary
Yeah.

I’m not married, but if/when I do become hitched, I intend to have 3 accounts. The bill paying one, mine, and hers.  Seems much easier to put x amount into each of our and y amount in the bill one. That way you can spend your money the way you see fit without starting arguments. She buys some expensive handbag? If it’s out of her account, who cares. You buy a wave runner without running it by her? Well, you used “your” money so she can’t say anything. Seems simpler. Kind of like you each get an allowance to do with what you want.

No, you should pool all your money and big purchases should be discussed and agreed upon together.  Do you guys even know anything about marriage?

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 05:46:01 PM »
pro-tip: having 1 checking account is easier than having 3 checking accounts
emaw

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 06:12:30 PM »
Man, keeping track of anything other than just my own account seems rough. It's easy to know mine because I always know what I buy. Will be tougher trying to keep an eye on what she buys and to make sure all her cards are paid at the right times.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »
I don't know if I could do a joint account. I'm pretty frugal compared to ms. wacky.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
Divorce stats proving out.  Buncha soon to be wrong side 50%'ers ITT.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »

pro tip:  having a checking account isn't hard

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 07:07:14 PM »
Pro-tip: if you are really :kstate grad: then you wouldn't spend more than 1 minute a month trying to figure out if you have enough money in your account to buy anything.

Also, even with separate accounts, big purchases should be discussed before being made. "Big" will be defined differently as you get older.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »
Schwab is BITB at this. Free checks (lol at checks), no ATM fees anywhere, no fees ever, super-nice customer service peeps, great website, can easily split money up between multiple brokerage accounts. I know many EMAW elites who use Schwab and have never heard one complaint.

Like other wise old EMAWs Slobbs and CNS, I am getting some good LOLs at these unmarried noobs over here. The key to married finances is not "mine vs. hers" or "jetskis vs. handbags," it's "Hey we got married, so we need to have regular conversations about our financial future. What goals do we have? What debts do we have? Where can we splurge? What's important to us?" You know, because you're married, and that's what happily married people do.

I mean, have none of you read the Debt Collectors thread?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
Schwab is BITB at this. Free checks (lol at checks), no ATM fees anywhere, no fees ever, super-nice customer service peeps, great website, can easily split money up between multiple brokerage accounts. I know many EMAW elites who use Schwab and have never heard one complaint.

Like other wise old EMAWs Slobbs and CNS, I am getting some good LOLs at these unmarried noobs over here. The key to married finances is not "mine vs. hers" or "jetskis vs. handbags," it's "Hey we got married, so we need to have regular conversations about our financial future. What goals do we have? What debts do we have? Where can we splurge? What's important to us?" You know, because you're married, and that's what happily married people do.

SUPER QUIZ:  what does any of this have to do with combining checking accounts? 

78% of Americans voted:  Nothing

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
I support the one checking account household.  #unitedwestand #dividedimbroke

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »
I had Schwab for a while. It's a nice account, but ended up switching to Wells Fargo.  the ATM fee thing is the main benefit for Schwab. everyone talks up tier customer service but it isn't really much better than most banks.

pro tip:  having a checking account isn't hard

your face isn't hard
emaw

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »
what customer service is it that you dumbasses are using from your banks?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 08:59:53 PM »

Wondermeal just knocked it out of the park
I'm purple down

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
I'd go to Midwest Federal. Talk to Bill Diehl.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »

hey WonderMeal.  I like your post.  have a good day!
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
Well yeah no doi everybody, so Kansas State Bank, then? (Basing this primarily on the fact that they sponsored my cousin's little league team.)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »
Go local with whatever you do. None of those evil assholes like Wells Fargo. And I don't really see a benefit of multiple checking accounts unless you're awful with money.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »
Just one on the side for splurges like an  Icee now and then. :D

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
I really don't get why small banks advertise their fantastic customer service vs. the big guys. I mean who really gives a eff if they know my name and say it when I walk in? I don't. Know what I give a eff about? Having tons and tons of ATMs and branches all around the city and country.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
I really don't get why small banks advertise their fantastic customer service vs. the big guys. I mean who really gives a eff if they know my name and say it when I walk in? I don't. Know what I give a eff about? Having tons and tons of ATMs and branches all around the city and country.

I can't remember the last time I went to an ATM or a branch. Let alone need one out of my city. I want a good app, good online management, and a bank that won't eff me over. Maybe some investment options? That's about it.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »
Just one on the side for splurges like an  Icee now and then. :D

Is the wife going to bust your balls over a couple bucks?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:39 PM »
If I wanted to leave myself an out from a marriage I wasn't sure of I would definitely have separate accounts. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:02 PM »
I feel bad for guys that have to check with their wives before they buy what they want, which is apparently several of you here. Have separate money so you can take your balls out of her expensive handbag she bought without asking
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.