Author Topic: Joint Checking Accounts  (Read 48259 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Joint Checking Accounts
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »
Just got married and once my very lazy and inefficient state mails back the marriage certificate and my wife's name change thingy we'll do the joint checking account. Thinking Schwab because of the no fees ever thing and the brokerage thing but open to just about anything right now. Currently just shopping around. Married cats! Tell me which bank to go with and why.
 :Wha:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Joint Checking Accounts
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »
Sidenote we are :kstategrad: so whatever deals best with millionaires is what we'll need.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
first national bank. reason? they have an ATM in my office for the rare occasions I need cash. source: A+.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »
first national bank. reason? they have an ATM in my office for the rare occasions I need cash. source: A+.

Sounds good. Mods, lock thread.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »
Centennial Bank - They do my mortgage so I let them hold my account to automatically yank money from

SD does make a solid point though

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:38 PM »
would not recommend Commerce Bank (no NOLA locations)
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 03:22:01 PM »
also Kansas State Bank
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 03:23:16 PM »
Central National Bank

MONEY 4 #LIFE

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
Thought about Kansas State Bank because I like being able to go to Chinese Chef after sending the deposit canister up the drive-through tube, but apparently now it's Chen's or something. :flush:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
US Bank; they let you put cool designs on your debit card; I have a golf ball.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Charles Schwab apparently reimburses you for every single ATM fee everywhere. This is important to us because we are stud travelers.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »
We went with a credit union because I thought I'd get a better rate on our mortgage.  Well that wasn't true at all.  But at least there's an ATM in my building.  That's a pro, I guess.  :dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
Charles Schwab apparently reimburses you for every single ATM fee everywhere. This is important to us because we are stud travelers.

I use a credit union that does this. It's nice for the 2-3 times per year that I have to come up with some cash.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

I use a credit union that does this. It's nice for the 2-3 times per year that I have to come up with some cash.

Yes. Bigger deal if you live in New Orleans because this city is supes behind the times and there are tons of places that only take cash for some dumbass reason.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

Yes. Bigger deal if you live in New Orleans because this city is supes behind the times and there are tons of places that only take cash for some dumbass reason.

Those places cheat on their taxes.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »

rampant corruption, money laundering, etc

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
If you travel a lot use a credit union that's a part of the co-op network.

http://www.co-opsharedbranch.org/
http://co-opatm.org/

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »

Is there an easy way to find an in-network ATM from a smart phone?  Like an app or something?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
I forgot my pin # about 5 years ago but I'm still waiting for it to matter.  The only thing I'm worried about is that a criminal will have a gun to my head and yelling at me to tell him the number and I won't know it, and then I'll just make one up and he'll punch it in and it won't work and he'll kill me.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »

Is there an easy way to find an in-network ATM from a smart phone?  Like an app or something?

Yes they have an app. My home credit union, Meritrust, has an app that shows all of the network atms and branches too.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
I really like Capitol One 360 (formerly ING Direct)

They don't have their own ATM network but instead uses a weird national network of ATM's at 7-11's, Targets, and scuzzy cash-only bars.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 03:43:01 PM »
I pretty sure this doesn't apply to skinben for either reason, but if anyone is from a small town and/ or has questionable credit getting in good with a small town bank is pure gold. After awhile they don't seem to give a crap about your other credit history, know you personally and will bend over backwards for you.

My mom has crap credit from her p.o.s ex-husband. When she moved to a certain Kansas small-town 8 or 9 years ago she started building credit with them almost immediately. She started small at first and now, even with a modest income, she has built a pretty good credit relationship with the local bank there. Credit is still tough for her outside of that, but she really doesn't need to look elsewhere.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »
why a joint account?  seems unnecessary

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »
why a joint account?  seems unnecessary
Yeah.

I’m not married, but if/when I do become hitched, I intend to have 3 accounts. The bill paying one, mine, and hers.  Seems much easier to put x amount into each of our and y amount in the bill one. That way you can spend your money the way you see fit without starting arguments. She buys some expensive handbag? If it’s out of her account, who cares. You buy a wave runner without running it by her? Well, you used “your” money so she can’t say anything. Seems simpler. Kind of like you each get an allowance to do with what you want.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.