Author Topic: Freedom is really not applicable to Christian businesses!  (Read 49355 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Freedom is really not applicable to Christian businesses!
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
Colorado's Cake Crafting Compulsion finally gets its day at the Supreme Court. This is an easy one, or at least it should be, even for Justice Kennedy.

Here in the US, businesses can't refuse service to customers based upon their race, gender, sexuality, or other protected classifications. But businesses are perfectly within their rights to discriminate against actions, ideas, or speech they disagree with. The inquiry is simple: on what basis did the business discriminate?

This ruling should hopefully drive a stake through one big tentacle of the left's PC fascism.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
I'm not fully informed on the details of the Colorado cake thing. Did the business refuse to make the couple any wedding cake, or did they refuse to make some sort of a custom cake that was different than the other cakes they make every day?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
I'm not fully informed on the details of the Colorado cake thing. Did the business refuse to make the couple any wedding cake, or did they refuse to make some sort of a custom cake that was different than the other cakes they make every day?

As best I understand, the couple did not request any special message to be printed on the cake. They said they wanted a cake for their wedding, and he (politely) refused. This guy has previously refused to bake cakes for other things he finds objectionable (including Halloween!) but the closest analogy would be when he refused to sell cupcakes to a lesbian couple when they told him they were for some sort of commitment ceremony. It wasn't the design of the cupcake itself that caused the problem - it was what it was for. I think that's what happened with the wedding cake.

And I'm fine with that. Business should not be required to support activities, speech, or ideas they disagree with. A reasonable inquiry should be made as to the basis for the discrimination.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2017, 11:49:28 AM »
It's not really anyone's business what the customer does with a product after they buy it.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
It's not really anyone's business what the customer does with a product after they buy it.

I could see that. That is why defining him as an "artist" makes it a bit different. If someone commissioned a painting from me but I knew it was going to be hanging in a house of devil worship...should I be allowed to turn their request down if I didn't want my name or artwork associated with their organization?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »

As best I understand, the couple did not request any special message to be printed on the cake. They said they wanted a cake for their wedding, and he (politely) refused. This guy has previously refused to bake cakes for other things he finds objectionable (including Halloween!) but the closest analogy would be when he refused to sell cupcakes to a lesbian couple when they told him they were for some sort of commitment ceremony. It wasn't the design of the cupcake itself that caused the problem - it was what it was for. I think that's what happened with the wedding cake.

And I'm fine with that. Business should not be required to support activities, speech, or ideas they disagree with. A reasonable inquiry should be made as to the basis for the discrimination.

It gets pretty complicated, then, since the business does support the activity of marriage. How do you differentiate hetero marriage from gay marriage without discriminating based upon sexuality?

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »

I could see that. That is why defining him as an "artist" makes it a bit different. If someone commissioned a painting from me but I knew it was going to be hanging in a house of devil worship...should I be allowed to turn their request down if I didn't want my name or artwork associated with their organization?

why not take the money and just make a real shitty cake/piece of art as a form of protest?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
I agree the cake person should be allowed to say no in this instance but what everybody is scared of is this leads itself to "I'm hobby lobby and I won't sell you candles because you are going to use it for a gay wedding"

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »

It gets pretty complicated, then, since the business does support the activity of marriage. How do you differentiate hetero marriage from gay marriage without discriminating based upon sexuality?

Further complication on this line: At the time of the refusal, gay marriage was not legal in Colorado.  The couple was married in Connecticut (?) but wanted to celebrate reception at home in Colorado.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:21:11 PM by Woogy »

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »

a) my reputation as an artist

b) because it might be considered a breach of contract / in the case of the baker - wouldn't want to ruin or complicate someone's "big day"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »
not confusing - the cake shop discriminated based on sexuality.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
Not confusing: try a different bakery
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
I totally agree if it's refusing to sell them like anything....like "no you can't buy that brownie cause gays"....this does have a little nuance to it.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
This is like a white trash walking into the official apparel store of the black panthers and demanding they make him a klansman robe, and when they say no thanks filing a lawsuit.

It's rough ridin' absurd there's litigation over this.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2017, 12:31:36 PM »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »
This is like a white trash walking into the official apparel store of the black panthers and demanding they make him a klansman robe, and when they say no thanks filing a lawsuit.

No, it’s more like a gay guy going into a store that sells Klan robes and being unable to buy a Klan robe because he’s gay.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 06, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »
Bakery is Masterpiece Bakery denotes an artist.  You would not expect to force a black artist to make a cross cake for a clan party.  These guys could have gone to Wallace Mart and bought a non artistic cake.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »
I totally agree if it's refusing to sell them like anything....like "no you can't buy that brownie cause gays"....this does have a little nuance to it.

no it really doesn't. they are refusing to sell them anything.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 06, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »

No, it’s more like a gay guy going into a store that sells Klan robes and being unable to buy a Klan robe because he’s gay.

Do you mean a gay klan robe?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 06, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »

If they are refusing to sell them anything then I retract my earlier comments....I thought this was about only a wedding cake.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 06, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »

If they are refusing to sell them anything then I retract my earlier comments....I thought this was about only a wedding cake.

it doesn't matter if it's only a wedding cake or something else

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
hypothetical: could a bakery owner legally refuse to make a cake with a swastika on it for a neo nazi's 40th bday bash?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 06, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »

I think it will make a difference.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 06, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »

Do you mean a gay klan robe?

Sure, if a gay klan robe is the same plain white klan robe that everyone else gets.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »

I think it will make a difference.

Is the "anything" supported in any record/testimony?  I haven't seen where it was "anything" - a custom wedding cake was refused, but other items apparently were offered.