Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 230003 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1675 on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:25 AM »
The first "Black Company" company book, by Glen Cook, was a lot of fun.  I am on to the second one now. 

I don't know why I keep up this vigil of posting about fantasy books, except that I keep hoping that Mr. Bread comes back and is proud of me.  I miss him.

Pete what's your fave fantasy series?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 16, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »
The first "Black Company" company book, by Glen Cook, was a lot of fun.  I am on to the second one now. 

I don't know why I keep up this vigil of posting about fantasy books, except that I keep hoping that Mr. Bread comes back and is proud of me.  I miss him.

Pete what's your fave fantasy series?

My favorite is an unfinished series by Patrick Rothfuss, the first book is called The Name of the Wind.   GRRM's Song of Fire and Ice (game of thrones) is great too of course.

I suppose a very close third would be Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy and three stand alone novels that are in the same universe.  They are pretty hard core.  The Bloody Nine, a key figure in the books, is one of my favorite literary characters ever.

There are so many others that I really like tho.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 17, 2017, 11:42:45 PM »
Thanks, Pete. I liked Fire and Ice

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 18, 2017, 12:33:47 AM »
My fave thing about asoiaf is the decade long wait between books

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 18, 2017, 12:34:12 AM »
Really separates the wheat from the sam

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: August 18, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »
At this point I can't even remember what happened in A Dance with Dragons.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 18, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
At this point I can't even remember what happened in A Dance with Dragons.

i think the last scene is when dany is wandering around in the grasslands and the dothraki find her and then drogon lands behind her

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 18, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »
And Jon just got stabbed, right?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 18, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »
yep

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 18, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »
It took me 3 years to read got and 1 year so far to 30% book 2 so I'll let you dudes know how book 5 ends in about 10 years
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 18, 2017, 08:25:12 AM »
should be just in time for when book 6 comes out

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 18, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »
That's the plan  :gocho:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 18, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »
It took me 3 years to read got and 1 year so far to 30% book 2 so I'll let you dudes know how book 5 ends in about 10 years

Sorry for the spoiler then.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: October 04, 2017, 08:20:01 PM »
I wasn't ready to tackle Infinite Jest, so I've been reading The Broom of the System. It's super quirky and pretty funny at times. It's a trip to read.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
I wasn't ready to tackle Infinite Jest, so I've been reading The Broom of the System. It's super quirky and pretty funny at times. It's a trip to read.

Just finished. Crazy entertaining. In a Pulp Fiction kind of way.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: October 27, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
Read Ubik by PKD. Very good, thanks @Kat Kid !
:adios:

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 27, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
reading the "Cases that haunt us" by John douglass.

all his books are great if you are into serial murder and detective stuff.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: November 22, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »

I'm just finishing up another trilogy, the Broken Empire, by some bro named Mark Lawrence.

so the last one is not good.  it's like he lost interest.  very strange for someone's talent to just completely abandon them like that only three books into a career.

You are a fast reader.  I am only half through the "Cold Commands."  This "gray places" dream like stuff is tiring.

i got a little wrapped up in it because it's like a mystery that i wanted answered.  like wtf is going on and what happened in the past that made it this way?  i love backstory and revelations. 

i'm two books into this demon cycle series by peter v. brett.  it seems pretty solid so far.  your guy pat rothfuss recommended him to me.

Well, you can tell Pat to go ahead and finish that third book.

i finished the first four books of the demon cycle series.  they're pretty good.  #recommendedtopete

Just finished the fifth and final book in the demon cycle series, which was just released. It was fun, like the others.  Overall, a very satisfying series.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: November 22, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »
Now, on to the newly released third book in the Brandon Sanderson “Stormlight” series.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 16, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
Finished the third book in the Stormlight series, Oathbringer.  Good but not great, keeps the plot moving.

Also read a very good Sci-Fi book called “Leviathan Wakes,” which is the first book in a series called “The Expanse.”  Scyfi Network made it into a series that got good reviews, but I haven’t seen the show.  Anyway, this book was super cool and fun to read if you like space ships blasting the eff out of each other and dudes getting their heads blown off in zero g gun fights.  Also lots of science around space travel and life support systems on other planets in our solar system.  Loads of fun.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: February 16, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »
Also, also Leviathan Wakes was a top 10 book on Goodreads list of best sci-fi books of the 21st century. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 16, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »
Finished the third book in the Stormlight series, Oathbringer.  Good but not great, keeps the plot moving.

Also read a very good Sci-Fi book called “Leviathan Wakes,” which is the first book in a series called “The Expanse.”  Scyfi Network made it into a series that got good reviews, but I haven’t seen the show.  Anyway, this book was super cool and fun to read if you like space ships blasting the eff out of each other and dudes getting their heads blown off in zero g gun fights.  Also lots of science around space travel and life support systems on other planets in our solar system.  Loads of fun.

I'm on book 6. So obviously I kinda like it. I will say there are some kinda lame moments across the series but man are there some great characters and cool space crap. I even like the politics and I think it's adorable that Mars is full of Asians with Texan accents.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 16, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
I like sci-fi movies. So, I try to get into sci-fi books. But I just can't do it. Just recently failed with Ubik, which takes place in the future (1992) and everything is both futuristic and also coin operated.

So, after that, I read "All the Pretty Horses." It was GREAT. I never knew a Western could be so intellectually stimulating and philosophically interesting. I want to read a bunch more Cormac McCarthy now.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 16, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »

I'm on book 6. So obviously I kinda like it. I will say there are some kinda lame moments across the series but man are there some great characters and cool space crap. I even like the politics and I think it's adorable that Mars is full of Asians with Texan accents.

Awesome, I immediately bought the second book upon finishing the first.  I will be starting that tonight! 

:Rusty:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 16, 2018, 07:00:20 PM »
I like sci-fi movies. So, I try to get into sci-fi books. But I just can't do it. Just recently failed with Ubik, which takes place in the future (1992) and everything is both futuristic and also coin operated.

So, after that, I read "All the Pretty Horses." It was GREAT. I never knew a Western could be so intellectually stimulating and philosophically interesting. I want to read a bunch more Cormac McCarthy now.
I loved Ubik! @Kat Kid sent it to me and i thought it was great. PKD is one of my top authors though
:adios: