Author Topic: olympics  (Read 75389 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: olympics
« Reply #450 on: February 17, 2022, 09:53:28 PM »
That crap was so wild I thought she was upset from watching her team mate absolutely implode I had no idea it was bc she was essentially protesting not getting gold. That’s insane

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 17, 2022, 10:09:33 PM »
That crap was so wild I thought she was upset from watching her team mate absolutely implode I had no idea it was bc she was essentially protesting not getting gold. That’s insane

I didn't either until I read twitter and NBC played a clip of her press conference.

With all the attention on 15-year-old prodigy Kamila Valieva, who in the wake of a doping scandal slipped to the ice and tumbled to fourth after topping the standings in the short programme, Trusova's moment of despair almost went unnoticed.

"Everyone has a gold medal, everyone, but not me. I hate skating. I hate it. I hate this sport. I will never skate again. Never," Trusova said as she briefly left the sight of Eteri Tutberidze, who coaches her, Shcherbakova and Valieva.

"It's impossible. That's now how it should be."

Trusova, the world championships' bronze medallist, elaborated in the post-event news conference, where she was also close to tears.

"I haven't been winning major events for three years. I always try to reach a goal, I always add more quads," the 17-year-old said.

"And when I get to that, I will win. This didn't happen, that's why I was upset."

I also found this tweet funny. In the previous tweet I posted someone noticed that the Chinese called this woman ramen head.
https://twitter.com/KOSTONlON/status/1494335017945759755
I can't stand figure skating but this was more entertaining than Tanya and Nancy.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 18, 2022, 08:55:44 AM »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 18, 2022, 09:01:17 AM »
Curling with a disappointing finish this morning.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 18, 2022, 09:42:59 AM »
I can't stand figure skating

I'm with MiR, I hate figure skating. Just drama and a sport with judged winners/losers. It and gymnastics are the same effing thing. Amazing athletes? For sure and absolutely. Dumbass controversy and bs run amok, yup. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 18, 2022, 12:03:26 PM »

Real sure. I've watched 30 minutes of figure skating the last decade. 10 minutes of Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski talking, in response to the Russian girl not being suspended, about the things they had to go through for drug testing from 13 years old and on. Then the 20 minutes last night. I already knew from notifications that the girl fell, but she took the ice just as I turned the TV on so I wanted to see it. Didn't know about the other crap, NBC got quite lucky to have all that footage and I'm guessing it being tape delayed helped them package it all up like they did.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 18, 2022, 01:40:22 PM »
These were one of the worst Olympics that I can remember.  Not sure if it was because the US generally sucked, or there not being any fans, etc. but I was pretty amped at the beginning and then just got bored. 

Also, anyone think it's weird that Eileen Gu chose to represent China?  I get her point of trying to inspire young Chinese athletes, but like picking China over the US is just odd.  I think we gave her more coverage than a lot of our own athletes.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 18, 2022, 01:47:00 PM »

Real sure. I've watched 30 minutes of figure skating the last decade. 10 minutes of Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski talking, in response to the Russian girl not being suspended, about the things they had to go through for drug testing from 13 years old and on. Then the 20 minutes last night. I already knew from notifications that the girl fell, but she took the ice just as I turned the TV on so I wanted to see it. Didn't know about the other crap, NBC got quite lucky to have all that footage and I'm guessing it being tape delayed helped them package it all up like they did.
Same. My wife just happened to flip over as the petulant, sore loser (silver medalist) skated. Wife knew about the drama via social media so we watched it unfold. I understand ROC's motivation to allow the doper to skate, but for the life of me I can't understand why the IOC allowed it to proceed. The best possible outcome happened, and it was still a crap show. The alternative was not having a ceremony at all if she medaled. WTaF?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 18, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »

Same. My wife just happened to flip over as the petulant, sore loser (silver medalist) skated. Wife knew about the drama via social media so we watched it unfold. I understand ROC's motivation to allow the doper to skate, but for the life of me I can't understand why the IOC allowed it to proceed. The best possible outcome happened, and it was still a crap show. The alternative was not having a ceremony at all if she medaled. WTaF?

The IOC didn't have a choice, they're the ones who wanted to suspend her but the Russians appealed to the court of arbitration of sport and they said because she's 15 and the Russians delayed the results she had to compete. So to recap, the Russians forced this 15 year old to dope, then when she tested positive they tried to hide the results. The CAS rewarded them for this behavior.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2022, 03:52:00 PM »
These were one of the worst Olympics that I can remember.  Not sure if it was because the US generally sucked, or there not being any fans, etc. but I was pretty amped at the beginning and then just got bored. 

Also, anyone think it's weird that Eileen Gu chose to represent China?  I get her point of trying to inspire young Chinese athletes, but like picking China over the US is just odd.  I think we gave her more coverage than a lot of our own athletes.

It's up there, no fans definitely sucks, but I think a giant reason why is the last 3 being in South Korea then Japan and then China paired with increased technology making it easy to see who did what before you got to see it I think is the main reason. I think it's fatigue of having such a huge time zone difference.

Like I remember Sydney 2000 and that was exciting cause there was no really way to actually know who did what, now it doesn't matter. I think the next two summer being in Paris and LA, and the winter one in Italy in 2026 will change that back to better. You'll have more chances to either watch crap in real time or have less of a delay for it to make it better. The last good weird time zone Olympics was 2008 and smart phones were barely a thing so it didn't matter then either.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 18, 2022, 04:25:21 PM »

It’s not odd at all. Many athletes do this but when it’s China people get all :curse:. Asians have a history of kissing the west’s ass but times are changing.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2022, 07:25:23 PM »

It's up there, no fans definitely sucks, but I think a giant reason why is the last 3 being in South Korea then Japan and then China paired with increased technology making it easy to see who did what before you got to see it I think is the main reason. I think it's fatigue of having such a huge time zone difference.

Like I remember Sydney 2000 and that was exciting cause there was no really way to actually know who did what, now it doesn't matter. I think the next two summer being in Paris and LA, and the winter one in Italy in 2026 will change that back to better. You'll have more chances to either watch crap in real time or have less of a delay for it to make it better. The last good weird time zone Olympics was 2008 and smart phones were barely a thing so it didn't matter then either.

Yes, I miss the days of not GAF about Olympic events being tape-delayed, because it was all "new to me" anyway. Not having as many alternative sports/entertainment options also made what truly the biggest of all sporting events seem so much bigger. Even better when the games are in our own or an adjacent time zone. Would I trade it all back for that hype, suspense and nostalgia? Prob not.

It might just be age, but it sure felt like the lack of alternatives made all sorts of things seem larger than life. This really changed when smartphones got so powerful, social media, etc. I'm rambling like a neo-luddite.

No fans is terrible of course.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 21, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »

The IOC didn't have a choice, they're the ones who wanted to suspend her but the Russians appealed to the court of arbitration of sport and they said because she's 15 and the Russians delayed the results she had to compete. So to recap, the Russians forced this 15 year old to dope, then when she tested positive they tried to hide the results. The CAS rewarded them for this behavior.
I didn't know there was a CAS, and didn't bother to research the issue. I just thought it was ROC bribing and/or bullying IOC. Didn't realize IOC had a superior. Thanks for the info!