Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 135704 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
I got a laugh out of your conservatives that want to squelch free speech . . . Is that tongue in cheek joke?   I mean Seinfeld actually joked that he won't play college campuses . . . too conservative.

good grief dax

That's your go to when you've got nothing. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2015, 07:39:03 PM »
That's great Kat Kid, but you do realize that on other campuses something like this is considered a microagression.

Budget Cuts:

Someone says, "I think the Japanese program should get a 10% cut in their budget, because the enrollment of students in that program has dropped 4%".   Someone will construe that has a microagression against Japanese and Asians.   Too many examples to say that isn't a plausible scenario.   How can you even function in society when some consider innocuous speech aggression.    There's literally protests over the capitalization of Indigenous . . . absurd.

I got a laugh out of your conservatives that want to squelch free speech . . . Is that tongue in cheek joke?   I mean Seinfeld actually joked that he won't play college campuses . . . too conservative.

1)  I'm fully aware of the free speech issues you are talking about above

2)  On K-State's campus the student body president, the SGA, the Collegian, and the student body at large, are all majority conservative, my anecdotes were not made up

3)  I am very thankful that the free speech issues that liberal campuses are having are not major problems at K-State, but I don't think that the current situation is permanent in any sense, so demographics and ideology will not save free speech from being attacked at K-State if that is your implication

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2015, 07:42:40 PM »
I didn't say the anecdotes were made up. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »
It really seems like only moderates and libertarians value free speech anymore.
:adios:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2015, 08:59:52 AM »
free speech is one of my favorite things.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »
free speech is one of my favorite things.

Man, that deserves a hug
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »
How much longer does free speech have to live? Is it already too late?

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »
To expand on 8MP's point. The left isn't the only one doing it. This link, along with Carson's idea of a department to root out liberal thought on campuses.  http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/missouri-lawmaker-tries-block-abortion-study

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2015, 10:28:06 AM »

To expand on 8MP's point. The left isn't the only one doing it. This link, along with Carson's idea of a department to root out liberal thought on campuses.  http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/missouri-lawmaker-tries-block-abortion-study

That's good. My post was going to be longer, but I couldn't think of relevant recent conservative examples of this off the top of my head. 
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-college-microaggression-20151112-story.html

In essence almost anything could be considered a microaggresion and it has and will heighten actual aggression.

no one is attacking "free speech" in that article.

And there seems to be little evidence that this is a problem, beyond a few anecdotes.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2015, 10:34:02 AM »

That's good. My post was going to be longer, but I couldn't think of relevant recent conservative examples of this off the top of my head.

:cheers:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2015, 10:37:05 AM »
A republican state senator tried to get the human sexuality class shut down while I was in the class at ku. She said it was dirty and not appropriate for college students.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
A republican state senator tried to get the human sexuality class shut down while I was in the class at ku. She said it was dirty and not appropriate for college students.
Yes that's ridiculous.  As is the example ChuckJames posted.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-college-microaggression-20151112-story.html

In essence almost anything could be considered a microaggresion and it has and will heighten actual aggression.

And there seems to be little evidence that this is a problem, beyond a few anecdotes.

Okay there cRusty

Thanks for weighing in.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »
Off topic..but the word anecdote has to be being used on a record pace this week. ITS EVERYWHERE.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »

Okay there cRusty

Thanks for weighing in.

I'm not sure dax read the article.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
I'm not sure dax read the article.

no but he likes to type "microagression"

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
Yeah, I mean nice work skimmers, no content of that article was applicable to this thread   :rolleyes: :rolleyes::

Some critics, however, say they worry that the microaggression movement chills free speech, increases conflict and perpetuates an aggrieved sense of victimhood.

Bradley Campbell, a an associate professor of sociology at Cal State Los Angeles, said the movement is transforming society from a "dignity culture," in which people are taught to have thick skins and refuse to allow others to affect their sense of self-worth, to a "victimhood culture" that advertises personal oppression.
[/i]

LibLogic and cRusty . . . are you sure you read the article.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
It's fascinating that asking people to stop being dicks (often times unintentionally) is labeled as PC run amok and attacking free speech

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »
Why's that black guy all offended that I called him a negro? Victimhood culture much? Get some thicker skin, negros, you won't trample my free speech with your PC bullshit!  - daxlogic

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2015, 11:16:01 AM »
It's fascinating that asking people to stop being dicks (often times unintentionally) is labeled as PC run amok and attacking free speech

Yes, because when there's protests over the capitalization of indigenous, or someone sends out an email about how college is about growing and learning to deal with the world and that causes a complete meltdown in the quad with over the top hyperbole being directed at faculty members, then everyone should just shut up and not say that it's gone too far (just 2 examples of 1000's).  Nice work LibLogic.   :thumbsup:

It's their absolute right to meltdown over things, just like it's the right of sane people to call them on it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »
Yeah, I mean nice work skimmers, no content of that article was applicable to this thread   :rolleyes: :rolleyes::

Some critics, however, say they worry that the microaggression movement chills free speech, increases conflict and perpetuates an aggrieved sense of victimhood.

Bradley Campbell, a an associate professor of sociology at Cal State Los Angeles, said the movement is transforming society from a "dignity culture," in which people are taught to have thick skins and refuse to allow others to affect their sense of self-worth, to a "victimhood culture" that advertises personal oppression.
[/i]

LibLogic and cRusty . . . are you sure you read the article.

that critic didn't say anything about free speech! And again, no examples of free speech being under attack. The author summarized "critics" saying it "chills" free speech? I mean that isn't even an anecdote, it's just sloppy writing designed to fire up the daxes of the world.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2015, 11:17:21 AM »
Why's that black guy all offended that I called him a negro? Victimhood culture much? Get some thicker skin, negros, you won't trample my free speech with your PC bullshit!  - daxlogic

I haven't said anything like that . . . liblogic.   Just more liblogic passive aggressive/microaggressions

Sad

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »

Yes, because when there's protests over the capitalization of indigenous, or someone sends out an email about how college is about growing and learning to deal with the world and that causes a complete meltdown in the quad with over the top hyperbole being directed at faculty members, then everyone should just shut up and not say that it's gone too far (just 2 examples of 1000's).  Nice work LibLogic.   :thumbsup:

It's their absolute right to meltdown over things, just like it's the right of sane people to call them on it.

None of which was in the article you linked but didn't read

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression microaggression