Author Topic: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not  (Read 135211 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #775 on: April 07, 2017, 09:55:52 AM »
 :blindfold:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 07, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
I mean, a normal person probably just says "I get along well with Laird. We've already worked together for several years and in his short time as interim AD he's been very supportive of me and the program. I look forward to working with him until a new AD is hired." This doesn't seem hard.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 07, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »
oscar:  Hey if your standards are low, 21 wins and a First Four game are pretty good.  It's all about perspective!

:flush:

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 07, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
Maybe he will actually take his friends advice and stop making Brucescuses? :dunno:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 07, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
or close his mouth

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 07, 2017, 11:03:02 AM »
oscar gonna oscar. Always.

But there is a strong distaste for Weber within the fan base. It’s possible that social media distorts his approval rating, but the situation is precarious enough that people close to Weber — people who want him to succeed — have urged him to present himself better publicly. At least one said recently he was worried that the relationship between oscar and the fans was broken, “and I don’t know how you fix it.”

Well, there is one obvious way to fix it.

“You gotta win, that’s what it comes down to,” Weber said. “We won 21. To some people, that was a good year, you made the tournament. Other people, that’s not as good. So it’s just the perspective you look at it.

:lol:

That schedule was created with the sole purpose of touting the 21 wins. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #781 on: April 07, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »
I may be crazy, but I actually think oscar is a good coach who is just lazy. He likes playing easy games when he can and he has a knack for winning just enough to avoid getting canned. I just think he prefers to coast in mediocrity and collect a paycheck rather than try to seriously compete for anything important, which I can kind of relate to.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 07, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
I don't think he's lazy, I just think he's a very quirky guy. Some here have mentioned that he may be "on the spectrum" and I can completely see that being reality. I do think he knows the game well enough and many aspects he teaches well, but at the end of the day he's just okay at recruiting and overall program management, at least at the P5 level. The leads to just being just an okay coach, which is probably fine, but the personality and comments doesn't lend itself to him being as "likable" as a coach. If you are going to live in the average range as a P5 coach, you better have a likable personality and oscar just doesn't.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 07, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 07, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »
oscar just isn't Wooly enough. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 07, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »
oscar just isn't Wooly enough. 

Yeah. oscar is way better as a coach, but about 100% less likable.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 07, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »
oscar is likable enough that if he were to win the Big 12 next year, I wouldn't want him fired anymore. I'm not sure if anything less would change my mind, though.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »
Update: oscar is still here.

Reason: Veatch feels sorry for him.

Weber knew it was coming, too, but shortly after the story appeared in the Manhattan Mercury he said he got something else from interim athletic director Laird Veatch:

An apology.

“He didn’t really want it to be a vote of confidence,” Weber said. “It was just supposed to come out that I’m the coach and all that stuff. He called me right after, and said, ‘I’m sorry that’s the wording.’ ”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article143086604.html

Vote of confidences are stupid, they always end in a firing a year later. I think it is smart on Veatch's part to try and not give one. Just awful execution.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 07, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »
I don't think he's lazy, I just think he's a very quirky guy...

he doesn't seem to like point guards.  he never has a good one except when he takes over a team where someone else recruited one that he can use.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 07, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »

he doesn't seem to like point guards.  he never has a good one except when he takes over a team where someone else recruited one that he can use.

Very true. Also very strange since on the of the offensive stats he seems to value the most are assists per made made FGs.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 07, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »
i think he has a platonic ideal of a bball team in his head of 5 interchangeable 6'7" guys with combo skills.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 07, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
oscar gonna oscar. Always.

But there is a strong distaste for Weber within the fan base. It’s possible that social media distorts his approval rating, but the situation is precarious enough that people close to Weber — people who want him to succeed — have urged him to present himself better publicly. At least one said recently he was worried that the relationship between oscar and the fans was broken, “and I don’t know how you fix it.”

Well, there is one obvious way to fix it.

“You gotta win, that’s what it comes down to,” Weber said. “We won 21. To some people, that was a good year, you made the tournament. Other people, that’s not as good. So it’s just the perspective you look at it.

:lol:

That schedule was created with the sole purpose of touting the 21 wins.

I think this is just poor logic. One it is better to have a harder schedule, a better SOS makes it easier to make the NCAAs. Two the staff tried to beef up schedule but no one would schedule them, that is more of a reflection of what other programs thought of K-State. Three teams was totally capable of beating good teams there is a reason they finished 30th in kenpom.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 07, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »
None of that matters.  The funny part is that in addressing how to fix the problem of people hating him b/c of how he presents himself publicly, he said something absurdly dumb and condescending.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 07, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »

he is too much of a control freak - good pgs see his nonstop sideline act and go elsewhere and that same act also keeps him from developing the combos he does sign

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 07, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
oscar is likable enough that if he were to win the Big 12 next year, I wouldn't want him fired anymore. I'm not sure if anything less would change my mind, though.

I'd still want him fired and I suspect most would. The issues I think he has don't go away with the deodorant of winning a Big 12 title. Did he win anyone over with the last conference championship he won?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 07, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »

I'd still want him fired and I suspect most would. The issues I think he has don't go away with the deodorant of winning a Big 12 title. Did he win anyone over with the last conference championship he won?

An Elite 8 might warm some people to oscar. Maybe.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 07, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »

I thought I was probably wrong about him after his second year. I think if you go back and read the board from that time, it was mostly positive toward oscar. It's amazing how fast the optimism of having 3 more years of Marcus Foster to build around can vanish.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 07, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
i think he has a platonic ideal of a bball team in his head of 5 interchangeable 6'7" guys with combo skills.
not the worst way to coach

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 07, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »

he is too much of a control freak - good pgs see his nonstop sideline act and go elsewhere and that same act also keeps him from developing the combos he does sign

i honestly don't know how the players deal with that aspect. it would just be so confusing/distracting/annoying and lead to me tuning him out (which i'm sure happens).

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 08, 2017, 03:45:42 PM »
1. The first thing we have to keep in mind is that the conference is a true round robin. This means you have to play every team at their place. Secondly, I believe our conference has been tougher top to bottom than it was during the Frank years. The coaches, from top to bottom, are better. There wasn't one easy gimme, this year, in conference. TCU beat KU, for instance, in the Big XII tournament. One can disagree with me and that's fine. Everyone has to admit, however, that the conference dynamic is much different than when Frank was coaching here. Therefore, Weber should not be hated for conference records, IMHO, especially when one considers that the Foster fiasco led to Weber completely having to rebuild.

2. The Weber conundrum, IMHO, arises from one thing. He followed a popular coach who left before there were down years. Let's call it the Frank factor. Let's make no mistake about this. There would have been some down years even if Frank had stayed. Heck, there was a down year when Frank was here and had Pullen, Clemente, Sutton, Brown and others. Mellinger writes much of Weber's poor media image and that Weber tends to say things, which upset fans. There's probably some truth in this, but I believe the Frank factor is to blame for much of this phenomenon. After all, the only thing Weber can say that many fans will accept is: "I suck." With every loss, the only thing fans (the ones who dislike Weber) will accept is for Weber to take full blame. They didn't like Weber from the minute he was hired because of the Frank factor. I'll never forget some of them criticizing Weber for the first words he spoke when he stepped up to the mic after being hired: "Why K-State?" They said it was like him saying, "Why would a coach, as great as me, take this lowly K-State job?" I never saw it that way. I saw it as Weber's way of showing all the things, which made him excited about being in Manhattan. After the KU home loss this year, Weber said our guys kicked KU's butt on the play hard chart, but KU made more plays at the end. Media, and fans, crucified him for this, but Weber was absolutely right. Sitting court side, I had the exact same sentiment. I was thinking, throughout the whole game, how our guys wanted this so badly; how they were diving for balls and being more aggressive in many ways. I was sickened because some of our shots just wouldn't go down in crunch time and I wanted our guys effort to be rewarded. When I heard Weber speak these words on the post game radio show, I was glad he did so. He was supporting the hard effort of his players. That's not what the media, or Frank's fans, wanted to hear. The only thing they wanted to hear was that Weber was outcoached.

This is not to say Weber is a media savant. Frank is surely better in front of the mic than Coach Weber. This is simply to say that the Weber conundrum has more to do with the Frank factor than it does Weber.