Author Topic: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not  (Read 135144 times)

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Update On If oscar Weber Is Fired Yet And, If Not, Why Not
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2017, 04:05:18 PM »
fitz and gpc were talking abt oscar reaching out to other jobs, particularly drake

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
fitz and gpc were talking abt oscar reaching out to other jobs, particularly drake
yeah we definitely don't need to overpay or over extend that doofus

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »
oscar's player development is underrated. DJamer is now a stud, and wesley is almost a first rounder. just needs his players to stick. sneed/maurice/patrick with 3 more years of oscar, they're going to be very good. :excited:

even 2 more years, with the current sophmores, that's a solid 6 right there. :ksu:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2017, 05:19:22 PM »
i still want him fired.

:thumbsup:
Me too as long as there's a decent replacement.

There's no reasonable/affordable replacement right now.

You guys know a job has to be vacant before you can find a replacement, right?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2017, 05:52:13 PM »
i still want him fired.

I would expect most AD's at this level to have a pretty good idea of realistic, interested candidates without needing to have an actual opening.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »
i'm starting to think that most AD's at this level are former athletic managers who decided to grind it out for 30 years post grad.  which is to say they spent their college years cleaning locker rooms and shuttling athletes to and from their respective aggievilles.  not sure the brain power involved in any of these activities including being an AD at this level.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
Even with a loss to Cincy I'd be comfortable keeping oscar 'till his contract ends, what's that another year or two?  IMO, he could use some better assistants and I'd like to see this football hire garner all the attention it needs.
Don't disagree about the better assts part but that and no contract extension don't play well. HC on the hot seat hire yielded Brad Korn.

Can't disagree.  I don't have the stomach to offer him an extension now, so he keeps his assistants. IF there is an extension offered it should come with a shitload of requirements.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 15, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »
i'm starting to think that most AD's at this level are former athletic managers who decided to grind it out for 30 years post grad.  which is to say they spent their college years cleaning locker rooms and shuttling athletes to and from their respective aggievilles.  not sure the brain power involved in any of these activities including being an AD at this level.

Painting fences and waxing cars is how you learn karate.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 15, 2017, 10:24:50 PM »
i still want him fired.

I would expect most AD's at this level to have a pretty good idea of realistic, interested candidates without needing to have an actual opening.

Of course but interest has to be reciprocal. Also this talk of there not being good candidates this year, or any year is nonsensical. Coaches aren't draft picks or unrestricted free agents, the coaching pool is the coaching pool, the quality doesn't vary by year. There's good coaches, there's bad coaches, there's good fits and bad fits and you have no idea who is what until they are performing the job.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »

Drake will be in town this weekend  :Wha:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2017, 10:34:39 PM »
i still want him fired.

Of course but interest has to be reciprocal. Also this talk of there not being good candidates this year, or any year is nonsensical. Coaches aren't draft picks or unrestricted free agents, the coaching pool is the coaching pool, the quality doesn't vary by year. There's good coaches, there's bad coaches, there's good fits and bad fits and you have no idea who is what until they are performing the job.

I think this board and Brad Underwood take issue with your suggestion that timing is irrelevant to this equation.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2017, 10:41:02 PM »
i still want him fired.

I think this board and Brad Underwood take issue with your suggestion that timing is irrelevant to this equation.

Timing is only an issue if one or both parties allow it to be. Coaches and athletic directors aren't players, they have absolute and total control of their movements.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
While the pool is basically the same, the value/availability/interest of certain coaches can change wildly year to year

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 15, 2017, 11:18:35 PM »

Drake will be in town this weekend  :Wha:
Go for it oscar

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2017, 04:41:22 AM »
 :lol:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
While the pool is basically the same, the value/availability/interest of certain coaches can change wildly year to year

Yeah, that's a better way to put it.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 16, 2017, 07:25:56 AM »

Yep, just like any job market.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2017, 07:55:28 AM »

I agree with that. I do think this is a greater factor for what's considered the top 10-15 jobs though. Most of the rank and file of college basketball programs will essentially be looking for either underpaid P6 head coaches or the hot high/mid major coaches of the moment; there will always plenty of those.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »

I agree with that. I do think this is a greater factor for what's considered the top 10-15 jobs though. Most of the rank and file of college basketball programs will essentially be looking for either underpaid P6 head coaches or the hot high/mid major coaches of the moment; there will always plenty of those.

Yeah I agree with that

So why do you need an opening to know who's interested? That pool of underpaid P6 and up and comers will have the same pool of schools to select from - P5's that either fired their coach or got poached by a top 15 program or were underpaying.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:38:49 AM by michigancat »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »

That's true. I suppose I was trying to look at the mid major crop before the tournament and it didn't seem as big, but that's because we haven't seen a couple guys go on a run yet and get hired because of that. (which is dumb)

I heard conversation about that a while back on 810. They were talking about Shaka and making the point that he had great tournament success, but he never won the A-10 or Colonial in 6 years at VCU. While I think most agree he's a very good coach because he did sustain success, maybe that is a knock on what he can do and this year's Texas wasn't such an aberration.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »

That's true. I suppose I was trying to look at the mid major crop before the tournament and it didn't seem as big, but that's because we haven't seen a couple guys go on a run yet and get hired because of that. (which is dumb)

I heard conversation about that a while back on 810. They were talking about Shaka and making the point that he had great tournament success, but he never won the A-10 or Colonial in 6 years at VCU. While I think most agree he's a very good coach because he did sustain success, maybe that is a knock on what he can do and this year's Texas wasn't such an aberration.

I've said for a while that I think AD's should make bonuses for high conference finishes (not just titles) larger than NCAA tournament success (outside of say a final four). Where you finish in your conference tells you more about a program than tourney runs, and I wonder if coaches would respond to that more positively than incentives based on lucky runs (which is what many Sweet 16 appearances are).

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
I've said for a while that I think AD's should make bonuses for high conference finishes (not just titles) larger than NCAA tournament success (outside of say a final four). Where you finish in your conference tells you more about a program than tourney runs, and I wonder if coaches would respond to that more positively than incentives based on lucky runs (which is what many Sweet 16 appearances are).

I agree with that, but its clearly not even how most fans think.

IMO a big part of the oscar hatred stems from the lack of tournament success and especially the La Salle upset. Granted, he has done plenty to sustain fans not liking him, but if he had a Sweet 16 in 13 and then a tournament win in 14 the hatred wouldn't be as strong.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
Unless it's a conference championship, where you finish in conference means nothing without a tournament run.

That's just my opinion, but you are dumb if you disagree with it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »

Unless it's a conference championship, where you finish in conference means nothing without a tournament run.

That's just my opinion, but you are dumb if you disagree with it.

what does a tournament run mean if you don't win the championship?