Author Topic: Fake field goal x two  (Read 2590 times)

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Fake field goal x two
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:40:38 PM »
Yes it was a seemingly stupid call but - is it just possible there was a devious reason for calling the exact play again so soon.  Does anyone else think Bill has a wrinkle on the formation that will allow a pass to someone like Andre the Giant next time instead of a pitch to Cantelle the Soccer King?  :fatty:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
Re: Fake field goal x two
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
No.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »
It had better.  I was furious after that play call.  Most of the time, I truly do refrain from questioning Bill's play calling, 'caue I'm like "Meh, Bill's earned it or whate",  but that shazbot! up could have cost us the game.

Particularly when it appeared that the entire game plan was to play it safe and not turn the ball over...essentially assuming that the game will be a close one.

Offline DoDRepeat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »
Yeah it's probably there. But it's not going to work.

Offline Pittcat

• Resident Purveyor of Above Avererage Staplers.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »
Yeah it's probably there. But it's not going to work.

You ever seen Doerr throw?

Think CCQ times a million!
3021  RIP

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »
I hope if we fake it again, the ball goes nowhere near Andre Stonehands.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
Pretty sure Bill learned his lesson. pretty sure.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
It had better.  I was furious after that play call.  Most of the time, I truly do refrain from questioning Bill's play calling, 'caue I'm like "Meh, Bill's earned it or whate",  but that shazbot! up could have cost us the game.

Particularly when it appeared that the entire game plan was to play it safe and not turn the ball over...essentially assuming that the game will be a close one.

That was that ghost of Ron Prince right there. The only thing I can think of remotely is that our kicker is given an option to pull the trigger if he sees a alignment that is favorable but Coach still should have told him to kick the damn ball and not worry about that fake option. This along with Cherry on kick offs have me wondering if OB's is senile.
RIP Fatty

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
I was thinking "so much for using that against a quality football team."

Two games in a row would have even been a lot for Bold and Daring.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
It was a really strange call, especially for Snyder.  ISU didn't exactly defend it great, but the ISU player coming off the edge to block forced Doerr inside and made it tough to get off the pitch.  We did have numbers to get the first down if Doerr had been able to pitch to Cherry.

And no, there was likely no "set up a play later" reason for the call.  We just thought it would work and it didn't.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »
It was showing it the first time in a game we didn't need it that had me scratching my head. 

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
Yeah.  It's pretty wacky, all the way around.  The first time, the second time...Weird.  I think there's something up Bill's sleeve, but the fact that I can sniff out that there's something up his sleeve means it's too obvious and will probably be sniffed out by a real coach.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 02:41:02 PM »
It was a really strange call, especially for Snyder.  ISU didn't exactly defend it great, but the ISU player coming off the edge to block forced Doerr inside and made it tough to get off the pitch.  We did have numbers to get the first down if Doerr had been able to pitch to Cherry.

And no, there was likely no "set up a play later" reason for the call.  We just thought it would work and it didn't.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, you could accuse Bill of a lot of things but a LFIQ isn't one of those things, I was just wondering if there was a plausible explanation for such a play call.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »
OB thought he'd outthink what the other team thought he was thinking.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
Guarantee we'll see another one this week.  Guarantee'd!! 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
STFU. have any of you ever coached a college football game before?  didn't think so.  well guess what?  LHCBS has. so STFU

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »
STFU. have any of you ever coached a college football game before?  didn't think so.  well guess what?  LHCBS has. so STFU
I have won way over 150 NCAA Football games on PS2 so yeah I feel pretty confident in being able to X and O with the best of them.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »
I have won way over 150 NCAA Football games on PS2 so yeah I feel pretty confident in being able to X and O with the best of them.

touche

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »
It was a good play for a shorter yardage situation, but 7 yards is a lot.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Lamesauce

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »
Yes it was a seemingly stupid call but - is it just possible there was a devious reason for calling the exact play again so soon.  Does anyone else think Bill has a wrinkle on the formation that will allow a pass to someone like Andre the Giant next time instead of a pitch to Cantelle the Soccer King?  :fatty:

God, I hope so. It would be totally worth leaving a critical 3 ponts on the field in a winnable game so we can fake another field goal later in the season. All I could think of after we kicked our last field goal to go up by 7 was, "It sure would be nice to have that field goal from earlier." What an idiodic call by Snyder. I hope someone kicked him in his ass for that stupid call. Iowa State got the ball back with a chance to tie the game. That should have never happened.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
Maybe Snyder just doesn't have much faith in his kickers. After all, Cantelle missed 2 kicks the week before and Cherry was terrible last year.  :dunno:

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
We should just go ahead and fake one a game from here on out.  We'd probably set some kind of record or something.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 09:44:55 PM »
Doerr will fake the option, place the ball on the turf and the kicker will boot it through.  That Snyder is a sneaky lil guy!