Author Topic: jobs  (Read 278366 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #2425 on: July 28, 2018, 01:16:38 PM »
I don't like the idea of accepting a job then changing your mind, but that maybe more of a personal thing than a real world consequence thing.  I would ask for a few days to a week to think about it and give the current company that amount of time to counter prior to two weeks notice.

The new company may expect a pretty quick reply if they meet your counter though.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 28, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
I don't like the idea of accepting a job then changing your mind, but that maybe more of a personal thing than a real world consequence thing.  I would ask for a few days to a week to think about it and give the current company that amount of time to counter prior to two weeks notice.

The new company may expect a pretty quick reply if they meet your counter though.

I agree about accepting and changing your mind but I might not have a choice. As soon as I tell my current company I am leaving/have an offer from a competitor it will be my last day, just how it is in my industry/role.  They don't want me to head back to my desk, download all of our customer contact info/send emails to all my customers saying "I'm leaving but you can find me over at XYZ company" etc.

So basically I have to have a firm offer and accept it, get my start date set in stone with the new company before I can even bring up the fact that I am leaving with my current company.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 28, 2018, 01:51:19 PM »
I have Dentist accept offers and change their minds all the time. They use us as leverage to get what they want at their current employer. They dgaf.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 28, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »

Don't rub anything in anyone's face. Also you should have countered the 17% offer (unless you already had) and two weeks of vacation is bullshit.

I did counter the 17% offer, told them I was looking to be at 25% because of XYZ and mentioned having 21 days of PTO now and looking for at least 15 days. The person I am interviewing with(would be my boss) made it sound like they had to fight tooth and nail to get the 17% offer and doubted they could get anything higher but submitted the request to HR.

I met with them again on Monday and told them I could make the 17% offer work but I wouldn't be able to start until November after some bonuses for my current job are paid (This would be my ideal scenario). They want me to start ASAP (Launching new service soon) so I told them if I can get a signing bonus to make up the difference I could start immediately, they are working on making that happen.

Are these the only two companies where you could do what you can do? I'd personally consider staying put and trying to get that 25% at a third company since it's pretty clear you're about worth it.

There are tons of companies in the area/Industry I could work at but I don't think I would get a better offer than what I just got. My current company has been hiring away a lot of people from these companies for more pay so I'm pretty confident that I am already on the higher end of what I could be paid but I haven't really interviewed anywhere else in the last 2 years and was not expecting this kind of an offer.

Well then probably go to the new place but be nice about it. HOWEVER

One thing to consider is there's a good chance you won't have better career growth potential at the larger company unless they're somehow increasing revenue at a much higher rate than your current company. Lots of huge companies have a ton of qualified people waiting on promotions that rarely open up and I would guess you would be better off in that career growth/promotions if you stay in your current company...

Did you go into detail with your manager as to why you only got 2.25%? Was that raise  company-wide? Are there growth roles within the company you want, and if so, do you have a plan with your manager on how to get there? Are you explicit with the new company about growth opportunities being important?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:23:49 PM by michigancat »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 28, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
ANOTHER THING

given the fact that your company is poaching folks with pay, there's a good chance the other companies are going to have to react to that. You're in a pretty good spot if you do the following (all at the same time):

-Update the resume and apply to a few positions in your industry, get a feel for salaries/benefits as soon in the conversation as possible without revealing what you want
-slow play the 17% offer as much as you can, turn it down if they pressure you
-work with your company on a plan to get bigger raises in the future beyond "selling more". <-side note:are you on commission? If so, why is this unreasonable? If you aren't on commission, what are you doing outside of sales that would justify a larger increase?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: July 28, 2018, 03:05:48 PM »
Good stuff Michigancat

One thing to consider is there's a good chance you won't have better career growth potential at the larger company unless they're somehow increasing revenue at a much higher rate than your current company. Lots of huge companies have a ton of qualified people waiting on promotions that rarely open up and I would guess you would be better off in that career growth/promotions if you stay in your current company...

Did you go into detail with your manager as to why you only got 2.25%? Was that raise  company-wide? Are there growth roles within the company you want, and if so, do you have a plan with your manager on how to get there? Are you explicit with the new company about growth opportunities being important?

Definitely more opportunity at the new place. All the other major players in the industry offer this service and it makes up about 20% of their revenue, new company is just now starting this service(Will be a brand new company under parent company) and their goal is to make it a 1 billion dollar company in 5 years(Revenue). I would also have more responsibility and not just be focused on sales. For the first year I would basically be a knowledge resource to help the sales reps that already have relationships with the customers sell this new service and then get that new business rolling and manage it.

Just typing that out makes me think I definitely need to take the job.

Current company said that the 2.25% pay raise was company wide. I did talk with them about new roles and responsibilities but they have not gotten back to me about that (It was only 2 weeks ago and my manager just had his second kid and was out all last week)

ANOTHER THING

given the fact that your company is poaching folks with pay, there's a good chance the other companies are going to have to react to that. You're in a pretty good spot if you do the following (all at the same time):

-Update the resume and apply to a few positions in your industry, get a feel for salaries/benefits as soon in the conversation as possible without revealing what you want
-work with your company on a plan to get bigger raises in the future beyond "selling more". <-side note:are you on commission? If so, why is this unreasonable? If you aren't on commission, what are you doing outside of sales that would justify a larger increase?

I feel like their HR department is slow playing it enough for me but will definitely take a couple of days to think it over after they send the updated offer.

I do get commission so its not unreasonable to say "Go sell more". The thing that irked me was after I laid out why my skills/experience/results is worth a higher base pay there was no discussion about it, current company basically said "Yeah, where else are you going to go and find a higher base pay? Here is your 2.25% increase everyone in the company is getting".

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: July 28, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »

Good stuff Michigancat

Definitely more opportunity at the new place. All the other major players in the industry offer this service and it makes up about 20% of their revenue, new company is just now starting this service(Will be a brand new company under parent company) and their goal is to make it a 1 billion dollar company in 5 years(Revenue). I would also have more responsibility and not just be focused on sales. For the first year I would basically be a knowledge resource to help the sales reps that already have relationships with the customers sell this new service and then get that new business rolling and manage it.

Just typing that out makes me think I definitely need to take the job.

Current company said that the 2.25% pay raise was company wide. I did talk with them about new roles and responsibilities but they have not gotten back to me about that (It was only 2 weeks ago and my manager just had his second kid and was out all last week)

ANOTHER THING

I feel like their HR department is slow playing it enough for me but will definitely take a couple of days to think it over after they send the updated offer.

I do get commission so its not unreasonable to say "Go sell more". The thing that irked me was after I laid out why my skills/experience/results is worth a higher base pay there was no discussion about it, current company basically said "Yeah, where else are you going to go and find a higher base pay? Here is your 2.25% increase everyone in the company is getting".

Would the increased responsibilities take away from your opportunities to earn commissions? If not, go for it but be very nice to your old company because it sounds like you could cross paths with some of them again. Sounds like a cool opportunity at the new place.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: August 03, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »
Update- Still have not heard back from new job but I am staying at current job.

My bonus for last fiscal year(ended in June) was more than I expected....also commish/bonus plan is different for this year(paid quarterly instead of yearly) and after the first 2 months of this quarter I'm already at 28% of my total sales from last year.

My only remaining question is do I tell my current company I was offered the other job and turned it down? The only reason I am considering it is because this new company the established player is opening will be a competitor.

Nothing has been announced publicly so it would be a good inside scoop to give my current company but if I tell them they would ask how I know and I'd have to tell them about the offer.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: August 03, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »
I don't see any reason to tell them.

If you do, just say you were contacted, you listened to them and turned them down. There is no reason to tell your company how far along you went or that you seriously considered the offer.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: August 03, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
Yeah, don't say anything unless they ask and then be honest and tell them how loyal you are and crap.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: August 03, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
Will keep it to myself for now. Thanks for all the insights during this process buds.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2436 on: August 06, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
Starting a new job next week. Big pay bump. Woohoo. :ksugrad:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: August 06, 2018, 01:34:11 PM »
Starting this fall, I will be a reporter for the Great Bend Tribune covering Kansas State home football games.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: August 06, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
wtf
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: August 06, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
Starting this fall, I will be a reporter for the Great Bend Tribune covering Kansas State home football games.

seriously? that's incredible news

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: August 06, 2018, 02:48:32 PM »
Starting a new job next week. Big pay bump. Woohoo. :ksugrad:

nice job IPA

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: August 06, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
great bend tribune insiders have known about this dlew news for many days (over a week even)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: August 06, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: August 06, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: August 06, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: August 06, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
I HAVE been to great bend before  :Wha:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: August 06, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »
I am eager to start grinding on the beat and churning out the best ~300 word game recaps Central Kansas has ever seen.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: August 06, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
Do you ever have to step foot in GB to do the job?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2448 on: August 06, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »
I am eager to start grinding on the beat and churning out the best ~300 word game recaps Central Kansas has ever seen.
Congrats!

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »

Are you getting a press pass/credentials?