Author Topic: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!  (Read 106737 times)

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #475 on: March 06, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »
do they put out rankings the Monday after Selection Sunday? Is this Monday the last rankings before the post season rankings?  :confused:

They do, our big 12 tourny performance will be reflected in our final rankings

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 10, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
man, tomorrow could of been fun but dropping out of the top 10 will suck :(

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
12 in Gary Parrish's top 25.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 10, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »
Don't care. Champs!

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 10, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
Don't care. Champs!

do care, I like good things!

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 11, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
#11 AP, #12 USA Today

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
Holy hell, will take.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 11, 2013, 12:22:27 PM »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2013, 08:46:56 AM »
#15 in Winn's rankings.

Kansas State Wildcats (25-6)
oscar Weber is having a sensational debut season at K-State, having led the Wildcats to a share of the Big 12 title (with a 14-4 league record) and what could very well be a No. 4 seed in the NCAAs. He's done quite well for himself after being fired from Illinois.

But here's a surprising fact: Weber's penultimate Illini team, which did not really get anyone excited, going 19-13 overall (9-9 in the Big Ten) while earning a No. 9 seed in the NCAAs, had a much better efficiency rating than his current K-State club.

The 2010-11 Illini ranked 18th in kenpom, while this year's Wildcats are 35th. Weber was perceived to be flailing in those final Champaign years, when in actuality, he had a decent team; now, he's perceived to be thriving with a less-efficient product. Life is better for him away from the Big Ten.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130312/college-basketball-power-rankings/index.html
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »
Luke Winn is a doofus

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 13, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
#15 in Winn's rankings.

Kansas State Wildcats (25-6)
oscar Weber is having a sensational debut season at K-State, having led the Wildcats to a share of the Big 12 title (with a 14-4 league record) and what could very well be a No. 4 seed in the NCAAs. He's done quite well for himself after being fired from Illinois.

But here's a surprising fact: Weber's penultimate Illini team, which did not really get anyone excited, going 19-13 overall (9-9 in the Big Ten) while earning a No. 9 seed in the NCAAs, had a much better efficiency rating than his current K-State club.

The 2010-11 Illini ranked 18th in kenpom, while this year's Wildcats are 35th. Weber was perceived to be flailing in those final Champaign years, when in actuality, he had a decent team; now, he's perceived to be thriving with a less-efficient product. Life is better for him away from the Big Ten.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130312/college-basketball-power-rankings/index.html

oh man.  it's just gonna get better!     :excited:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »
Love when numbers guys blindly abide by said numbers despite obvious flaws and/or irregularities. If Winn doesn't like oscar's system or our personnel, its obvious he doesn't, he should just say so and not use kenpom as a crutch. Pomeroy has admitted that his rankings can have some outliers.

You know what I'm going to tell him just that

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 13, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
Love when numbers guys blindly abide by said numbers despite obvious flaws and/or irregularities. If Winn doesn't like oscar's system or our personnel, its obvious he doesn't, he should just say so and not use kenpom as a crutch. Pomeroy has admitted that his rankings can have some outliers.

I don't think he's wrong. KSU really isn't really a flaw or irregularity. We are what we are.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 13, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

I don't think he's wrong. KSU really isn't really a flaw or irregularity. We are what we are.

Do you think there are 30ish teams better than us?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »

How many NBA teams are there?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 13, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

better-ish. I mean when I look at the list, I'm not sure how many teams we would be favored against on a neutral floor. Maybe 5-6? And mostly because they're mid-majors?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »
We look pretty midmajory without JO on the floor.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »
#12 in the AP Poll in the last reg season poll

Ending up winning 20 of last 25 after the Gonzaga loss

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 18, 2013, 05:23:40 PM »
#12 in the AP Poll in the last reg season poll

Ending up winning 20 of last 25 after the Gonzaga loss

So we'll end up winning 22 of 27 between Gonzaga losses. Interesting.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 18, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »
Just shows that the polls are 100% meaningless.  Ranked above Marquette the entire season and they end up a higher seed than us.  At least in football the polls are added to the BCS rankings.  What is the point of even having bball polls at this point, if the committee goes more off of the RPI?  Should the polls be part of the RPI rankings?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 18, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
Polls in basketball are meaningless which is fine and what they should be.  You can use them as a general indicator or whatever, but so many ballots are incredibly dumb it would be stupid to let them affect seeding.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 18, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
Just shows that the polls are 100% meaningless.  Ranked above Marquette the entire season and they end up a higher seed than us.  At least in football the polls are added to the BCS rankings.  What is the point of even having bball polls at this point, if the committee goes more off of the RPI?  Should the polls be part of the RPI rankings?

still hilarious that people still don't understand RPI

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 18, 2013, 11:21:06 PM »

Point is its clear Luke doesn't like something about this team, also equally clear that he can't articulate what that is so he is using a metric as a crutch.

Football fans that visit the basketball board for three weeks don't count. I mean you're expecting someone who doesn't think football polls are a joke to understand the RPI.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 19, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »

Football fans that visit the basketball board for three weeks don't count. I mean you're expecting someone who doesn't think football polls are a joke to understand the RPI.

I understand what RPI is just fine.  And I am usually on both boards everyday all year FYI.  I think both polls are a joke, I just wanted to verify that college basketball polls are pointless.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
:dance: