Author Topic: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!  (Read 106577 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Rankings thread, yeah I said it!
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
Bilas was on 810 last week and it was just obvious that he doesn't really watch us. just throws out typical analyst jargon and runs with it.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »
Bilas:

18. Kansas State Wildcats (Previous ranking: 19)

The Wildcats were blown out by Kansas in Lawrence, then turned around and blew out Baylor in Manhattan. Kansas State is solid but not spectacular, and doesn't shoot the ball well consistently. In addition, in order to win, Kansas State must keep opponents off of the offensive glass. That is a team thing, and all five players on the floor have to box out and rebound.

The thing that the Wildcats have done best in league play is take care of the ball: Kansas State has turned it over only 10 times per game in Big 12 play, and leads the league in turnover margin. Kansas State assists on 63 percent of its field goals, best in the Big 12.

Pretty much ruins his entire rankings because he clearly has paid no attention to K-State basketball.

they have shot better in conference, but they are shooting as a team around 43.5% percent which is good for middle of the road among all division one schools.  That is not really setting the world on fire.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
oh boy...
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2013, 12:07:33 PM »
disappointing Luke Winn isn't a fan of the cats.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »
they have shot better in conference, but they are shooting as a team around 43.5% percent which is good for middle of the road among all division one schools.  That is not really setting the world on fire.

Check out K-State's eFG%, 2PT%, and 3PT% over K-State's 13 league games and get back to me.

If you don't know what eFG% is, I can't help you.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:13:29 PM by ksu_FAN »

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »

Check out K-State's eFG%, 2PT%, and 3PT% over K-State's 13 game league games and get back to me.

:excited:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »
I like when _FAN destroys people who don't know how sports work  :D

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
disappointing Luke Winn isn't a fan of the cats.

I know, still #20.

I would love to see Luke throw up a chart highlight oscar's transition from Frank's JYCs to our new 3PT shooting wizards.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 20, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »

it's glorious.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 20, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

Check out K-State's eFG%, 2PT%, and 3PT% over K-State's 13 game league games and get back to me.

Will do

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 20, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »

i don't even  :rolleyes:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 20, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

Meh. So I need an editor. Meh.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 20, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »
Bilas:

The Wildcats were blown out by Kansas in Lawrence, then turned around and blew out Baylor in Manhattan. Kansas State is solid but not spectacular, and doesn't shoot the ball well consistently. In addition, in order to win, Kansas State must keep opponents off of the offensive glass. That is a team thing, and all five players on the floor have to box out and rebound.

The thing that the Wildcats have done best in league play is take care of the ball: Kansas State has turned it over only 10 times per game in Big 12 play, and leads the league in turnover margin. Kansas State assists on 63 percent of its field goals, best in the Big 12.

Pretty much ruins his entire rankings because he clearly has paid no attention to K-State basketball.

GCJ, can you give us an update on how Washburn is doing this season? Haven't been keeping up with them.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 20, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »

GCJ, can you give us an update on how Washburn is doing this season? Haven't been keeping up with them.

Neither has he, probably.  As you know, lifelong Hawk.  birds of a feather. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 20, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »

Meh. So I need an editor. Meh.

A double "meh"!  :horrorsurprise:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 20, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »
I get frustrated with how low our SOS is. IMO every team below like 150 should just be weighted equally.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »
Bilas:

The men towards the beginning of the season were up to #2 in the country, but I guess success got to their heads because they dropped a few after that and are now unranked.  The men are 16-6 which is an improvement over the past years. There was talk Chipman had bene losing it in recent years because his teams had not been having the same level of success as early in the 00's, but he seems to have it back on track now.

The women are in the top 5 in the country and once again having a fantastic season.  19-3 overall and number 1 in the MIAA. This really is not a surprise as the women's team has been putting up these type of seasons since I started school there in 2005.

I can't say I have seen the teams play in person this year, but do read up on the games from the news paper articles and various other press releases.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 20, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
As for KSU eFG%, I took advice and looked up their performance in conference games.

Over the entire season KSU is shooting 49.4% which ranks as 145th in the country.  Like I said middle of the road. However, in conference play that Cats have bee non fire and are at 52.3% which is good for 56th nationally.  That is quite the impressive improvement.  I don't type this pretending to know how many KSU games that Mr. Bilas has watched, as I have no way of knowing this information. I will say that the stats show either the team was still trying to grasp the new offense at the beginning of the season and have now figured that out, or they are on an incredible hot streak right now and will regress back towards their overall season performance.  I tend to think the former better describes the situation than the latter.  Will they continue to shoot as well as they have thus far in conference I have no idea, but I do think they will cool off at least a little bit.  I have not broken it down by player to see who has contributed to this improvement over the season, but I imagine Spradling's ridiculous shooting for most of the conference play is a very large factor.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 20, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
IDIOT

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:19 PM »
As for KSU eFG%, I took advice and looked up their performance in conference games.

Over the entire season KSU is shooting 49.4% which ranks as 145th in the country.  Like I said middle of the road. However, in conference play that Cats have bee non fire and are at 52.3% which is good for 56th nationally.  That is quite the impressive improvement.  I don't type this pretending to know how many KSU games that Mr. Bilas has watched, as I have no way of knowing this information. I will say that the stats show either the team was still trying to grasp the new offense at the beginning of the season and have now figured that out, or they are on an incredible hot streak right now and will regress back towards their overall season performance.  I tend to think the former better describes the situation than the latter.  Will they continue to shoot as well as they have thus far in conference I have no idea, but I do think they will cool off at least a little bit.  I have not broken it down by player to see who has contributed to this improvement over the season, but I imagine Spradling's ridiculous shooting for most of the conference play is a very large factor.

You think after 2/3 of conference play the stats aren't indicative of our well our team can shoot? And without looking it up, I think Sprads went 0-11 during a 3 game span in conference play. So his shooting percentage has already taken that into account, and it's still pretty good.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 20, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »

You think after 2/3 of conference play the stats aren't indicative of our well our team can shoot? And without looking it up, I think Sprads went 0-11 during a 3 game span in conference play. So his shooting percentage has already taken that into account, and it's still pretty good.

Did you read my post?  I pointed out two possibilities of the difference between the states and went with the one that said at the beginning of the year they were struggling with a new offense but have now figured that out.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 20, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »
Wait did we get an emaj'er who's not a total phogtard? Someone fill me in here.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 20, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »

Did you read my post?  I pointed out two possibilities of the difference between the states and went with the one that said at the beginning of the year they were struggling with a new offense but have now figured that out.

I was mostly referencing the "they are on an incredible hot streak right now and will regress back towards their overall season performance" and "I do think they will cool off at least a little bit" parts. We've been very consistent since conference play started, and we have TCU, Texas and Tech games coming up. Don't know why you are suggesting that we will cool off.

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »

I was mostly referencing the "they are on an incredible hot streak right now and will regress back towards their overall season performance" and "I do think they will cool off at least a little bit" parts. We've been very consistent since conference play started, and we have TCU, Texas and Tech games coming up. Don't know why you are suggesting that we will cool off.

Fair point to mention my thought that KSU would cool off a little bit.  I don't really have any evidence to support that.  It is just my opinion based on a belief that Spradling will not continue to shoot this well and that Shane will not shoot as well as he has for the rest of the year.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 20, 2013, 04:45:55 PM »
FTR Sprads is 19-48 from 3 in Big 12 play.  Good for 39.5%, or, in other terms, the exact average that we have shot as a team in conference play (as _Fan mentioned recently.) He was 21-60 out of conference, good for 35%.   

Shane is  26-58 (44.8%) in conference and was 10-22 (45.5%) out of conference. 

So Sprads' "ridiculous" improvement is 4.5% and while Shane has greatly increased his output, his shooting percentage is actually down slightly.