Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 323434 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
give 100 pushups a try sd.  You'll see a difference in 2 weeks provided you aren't horridly flabby now.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 09:32:42 AM »
yeah, benja seems like the kind of personal trainer that shows up 7 hours late and drunk.  guess I'll just go hit the elliptical. 
steve dave is like my uncle, I tell him exactly what electronics/computer to buy and he goes out and buys the opposite. THEN HE COMPLAINS!!!

I bought the exact laptop you suggested  :blank:
How is that working out for you?
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Fitness Questions!
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
I bet a coworker $5 I could slam dunk a basketball by the 4th of July. This was also my New Years resolution. Tips?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
I bet a coworker $5 I could slam dunk a basketball by the 4th of July. This was also my New Years resolution. Tips?

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
lose weight and strengthen your legs.  Lots of high intensity explosive lifts, cleans, squats etc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
yeah, benja seems like the kind of personal trainer that shows up 7 hours late and drunk.  guess I'll just go hit the elliptical. 
steve dave is like my uncle, I tell him exactly what electronics/computer to buy and he goes out and buys the opposite. THEN HE COMPLAINS!!!

I bought the exact laptop you suggested  :blank:
How is that working out for you?

very well, thank you  :blank:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »
I play basketball MWF mornings. When I go to the gym my showering/dressing is roughly 800 times more efficient so I decided to go lift weights (or something) Tuesday/Thursday.

Please give me a workout plan. Thanks.

What are your goals? Strengthen arms? Strengthen core?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 12:46:14 PM »
Lots of great questions guys!

I will get to these later today!

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
Make me a beginner workout plan for a 32 year old guy who can do 20 pushups who refuses to go to the beefcake free weight area of my gym but wants to get studlier. 

Would you be willing to workout at home?

yes, but I only have carpet, 25 lbs. dumbells and soul at home

This but substitute 32 with 26 and add only wants to workout 30 minutes a day
I'm purple down

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »
How do I improve my vertical?

Why would you want to do that?  Do you have really high cupboards in your kitchen?

My vertical jump, silly. So I can dunk  :shy:

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 03:24:24 PM »
Make me a beginner workout plan for a 32 year old guy who can do 20 pushups who refuses to go to the beefcake free weight area of my gym but wants to get studlier. 

You could get in a fairly effective workout with just the dumbells and about six square feet of space. Invest in a chin up bar that hangs in a door and you can make some honest to God muscle gains

Simple Example:
Legs: Dumbell squats, dumbell deadlifts, dumbell lunges, wall sits

Chest, shoulders and triceps (pushing movements): Pushups, dumbell press, dumbell shoulder press, skull crushers or kickbacks

Back and biceps (pulling movements): Chin ups, pull ups, dumbell rows, curls

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2012, 03:27:52 PM »

You could get in a fairly effective workout with just the dumbells and about six square feet of space. Invest in a chin up bar that hangs in a door and you can make some honest to God muscle gains

Simple Example:
Legs: Dumbell squats, dumbell deadlifts, dumbell lunges, wall sits

Chest, shoulders and triceps (pushing movements): Pushups, dumbell press, dumbell shoulder press, skull crushers or kickbacks

Back and biceps (pulling movements): Chin ups, pull ups, dumbell rows, curls

good grief, I'm not training for wrestlemania.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »

http://hundredpushups.com/

anything easier?  no way can I do 100 pushups.  I'm puffing after 20. 

Don't do a workout plan like this by itself or you will develop muscle imbalances. Not only will they look weird but they can cause injuries and less gains. Always think symmetrically and workout the opposing muscle group (in this case your back) just as hard.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »
so, like, do 20 back pushups for every reg?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »
How can I get a hot bod like Charles Melton?

Genes and sweat and tears

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »

and stealing MHK public service trucks

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
What are the best ways to avoid getting shin splints for an overweight Canadian friend of mine who likes to occasionally (but not obsessively) run?

Also, he is getting really good at swimming lately, do you know if he is too old to go back and try out for the Manhattan Marlins?

Shin splints are caused by the high impact on your feet and legs. Anyway that you can lessen that impact will lessen your chances of getting splints. One easy way is focusing on running on your heels and not coming down flat footed. Another is to run on grass or on a treadmill instead of hard ground. Another is better shoes and insoles. Splints suck!

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »

and stealing MHK public service trucks

That crazy, gorgeous bastard

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
my wife does zumba 3 times a week.  seems pretty great.  thinking about giving it a go.

Would you feel less comfortable in a zumba class full of women or in the free weight area of your gym?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:43 PM »

Buy an Xbox Kinect and Your Sport Fitness Evolved 2012.  Do a full body workout with the Boot Camp and various arms/legs/glutes/abs/back workouts.  Workout for an hour on M/W/F.  In the morning for breakfast, have a mixed berry smoothie with fish oil, whey, greens and yogurt or kifer.  Drink whey protein with skim milk right after your workout.  Don't eat like crap.

That's the plan I'm on and I feel GRRRRRRREAT!  :dunno:

:thumbs:

Good work Rams!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »
I've read that if you do nothing else, or are limited on what you can do, you should do push ups and upright rows as they engage the most muscles vs other simplistic, at home type work outs. 

Also, do sit ups and plank. 

Do it all as a circuit w/o rest in btwn exercises to get your cardio up during your weights.

There could/should be other things in there too, but it sounds like the above is a good start if you don't want to do more or are limited.

I have several circuit combo work outs that use very little heavy stuff that can kick butt and can be done with minimal time spent in meathead world of gym.  PM if interested.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »
Long distance running is the least efficient way to burn calories. Best thing for burning calories (if you're not trying to bulk up) is doing 10 40-meter dashes. Sprint 40 meters, walk back. As soon as you get back, sprint again, walk back. Repeat 10 times. It only takes 10-15 minutes (including stretching) and burns about as many calories as running 2 miles, possibly more.

Benja. Is this true? Also does it mean that shin splints will be worse, better, or same? (Obviously hitting the ground fewer times but the impact would probably be way more pound-y.) And you never answered my Manhattan Marlins question. Is it because I forgot to include a "tia"? Because, tia.

Yes it's true. Shin splints should be better. Slow, steady anaerobic exercises such as running 2 or 3 miles is good for cardiovascular health, but is fairly inefficient at burning calories and fat and makes it harder to build muscle. The body has several interesting adaptations to long-term cardio training such as long distance running, none of which I'm interested in having happen in my body. Everyone is different though

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2012, 04:02:02 PM »
my wife does zumba 3 times a week.  seems pretty great.  thinking about giving it a go.

Would you feel less comfortable in a zumba class full of women or in the free weight area of your gym?

I was joking...but I think you may have known that....

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
How much chest hair do I need to maintain to trick people into thinking I am in better shape than I really am?  :dunno:

Shave all chest hair, hit the gym, get a tan, and try to smell amazing at all times