Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1335097 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #11300 on: October 11, 2018, 09:16:16 AM »
going to Vegas and Zion NP for Thanksgiving. With kids. What should we do???

Zion NP

Here’s some easier hikes to experience Zion from the top and bottom.

Canyon Overlook - Trailhead is on the left just as you exit the tunnel on Hwy9 heading east out of the main canyon.  Great view looking down into canyon.

Riverside Walk - Trailhead is at the end of the road in the main canyon.  Takes you to the beginning of where the hike into the Narrows starts. 

Watchman - Starts at the visitor center.  Nice view down the canyon from the top.  I’ve seen bighorns several times here.  A little more difficult than the first two.

If you’re more adventurous...

Angels Landing - Major exposure but amazing views.  I wouldn’t go if there’s precipitation. Not sure I would take an 11-12 yr old, but younger kids have done it.  Could go as far as Scout Lookout and then decide if you are up for the exposured part after seeing what’s next.

Observation Point from East Rim Trail - Great hike.  Actually looks down on Angels Landing.  Quite a bit of elevation gain.  Some cool rock features early on that could be fun even if you don’t go to the top.

Narrows - Rent some wet gear and brave the cold. 

Also consider Snow Canyon State Park (UT) and Valley of Fire State Park (NV).  Both have some cool hikes and things to see.

This is useful for me as well.  Let me know what else you learn Rusty.  I'll be in Zion in Feb.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11301 on: October 11, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
Hey ChiCat.  October is the month to apply for a February permit to The Wave.  If you are going to be in the area anyway, you might as well give it a shot.  Even if you don’t get it, you could still go down there to see Buckskin Gulch.

https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27622.msg1781049#msg1781049

https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27622.msg1781051#msg1781051
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:25:33 PM by tdaver »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11302 on: October 12, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
It's a good day to take a flight.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11303 on: October 12, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »
cvg

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11304 on: October 12, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
Oh ya. It's a gimme.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11305 on: October 14, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »
2 hours with that app running? RIP your battery
Airplane mode, battery chargers, and a solar panel on my backpack. Never got in any danger of low battery.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11306 on: October 17, 2018, 11:35:46 AM »
Going to New Orleans with Mrs. CF3 for her birthday. We wanted to find a spot we've never been, with good food and live jazz, so this seemed ideal.

Our itinerary is wide open. Who has ideas for me?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11307 on: October 17, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
Going to New Orleans with Mrs. CF3 for her birthday. We wanted to find a spot we've never been, with good food and live jazz, so this seemed ideal.

Frenchmen St.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11308 on: October 17, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »

someone here sent me a guide to NOLA when I went a few years ago. I'll send it to you. It's one of the greatest cities in the world to visit IMHO.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #11309 on: October 17, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
If you do nothing else, you must try the fried chicken at Willie Mae's. I'm dead serious; I'm rarely dead serious. It's in Tremé.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11310 on: October 18, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
Howlin' Wolf has Rebirth Brass Band there once a week, not really jazz but good local music.  Any restaurant by Donald Link is very good.

Hey ChiCat.  October is the month to apply for a February permit to The Wave.  If you are going to be in the area anyway, you might as well give it a shot.  Even if you don’t get it, you could still go down there to see Buckskin Gulch.

https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27622.msg1781049#msg1781049

https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27622.msg1781051#msg1781051

Applied!

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11311 on: October 19, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »

Felix's Oystar Bar is my favorite
Alfonso's if you're on Frenchman St for dinner (it's above a live music bar, cash only) then find some music across the street. Also, if you go on a Friday, they have a really cool local art spot next door to the restaurant.
Brennan's for brunch (fairly expensive)
And Stanley for any meal. It's on the the corner of Jackson Square so you can check out art before or after (or both!) during the day and it's pretty damn cool.

All that to say, text me if you want more suggestions or have questions.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11312 on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »

Felix's Oystar Bar is my favorite
Alfonso's if you're on Frenchman St for dinner (it's above a live music bar, cash only) then find some music across the street. Also, if you go on a Friday, they have a really cool local art spot next door to the restaurant.
Brennan's for brunch (fairly expensive)
And Stanley for any meal. It's on the the corner of Jackson Square so you can check out art before or after (or both!) during the day and it's pretty damn cool.

All that to say, text me if you want more suggestions or have questions.

Oh I'll text you

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11313 on: October 19, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
Cartier, I tried to look for the post my bro gave to me for New Orleans on here, but I couldn't find it. Been multiple times. It's a blast. Go to magazine st. if you want to get away from French Quarter for a bit. Their Aquarium is one of the best in the biz as well. Port of Call if you want the best burg in the biz.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11314 on: October 19, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »
Cartier if you go to NOLA and eat a burger I swear to God....

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11315 on: October 19, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
No crap, Stevesie? I didn't read how long he'll be there. I was in Maine for a week and needed a seafood break on day 3. Anyways, cf3, my bro lives down there and I've been like 5 times, so if you want the real ITK stuff, i'm your guy.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11316 on: October 19, 2018, 09:37:51 PM »
Quick note, last summer I was in Barcelona, and I just wanted to let everyone know that you can get in incredible cheeseburg at La Casa de Vaca along the coast. Great stuff.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11317 on: October 19, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »
Quick note, last summer I was in Barcelona, and I just wanted to let everyone know that you can get in incredible cheeseburg at La Casa de Vaca along the coast. Great stuff.
I have friends that want to travel to Barcelona with our kids in February. I don't wanna do it. Should I tell them you said it would suck with kids???

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11318 on: October 19, 2018, 09:47:39 PM »
I have friends that want to travel to Barcelona with our kids in February. I don't wanna do it. Should I tell them you said it would suck with kids???

La Rambla was where I bought my samurai sword. Barcelona was great. Saw a druggie get taken away in an ambulance. Met Tayshaun Prince right after the Pistons won a ‘ship. Saw a protest that was a precursor to the split they are having now. Was a great time. Want to go back for sure. 
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11319 on: October 20, 2018, 03:35:11 AM »
No crap, Stevesie? I didn't read how long he'll be there. I was in Maine for a week and needed a seafood break on day 3. Anyways, cf3, my bro lives down there and I've been like 5 times, so if you want the real ITK stuff, i'm your guy.

You are touchier than I remember. I hope you are doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11320 on: October 20, 2018, 08:59:47 AM »

I think it would actually be a pretty easy/great city with kids your age. very walkable and lots of stuff to do outside/along the way. only Rome is better than Barcelona for this phenomenon.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11321 on: October 20, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »

I think it would actually be a pretty easy/great city with kids your age. very walkable and lots of stuff to do outside/along the way. only Rome is better than Barcelona for this phenomenon.

I'm more worried about the other kids

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11322 on: October 20, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »

La Rambla was where I bought my samurai sword. Barcelona was great. Saw a druggie get taken away in an ambulance. Met Tayshaun Prince right after the Pistons won a ‘ship. Saw a protest that was a precursor to the split they are having now. Was a great time. Want to go back for sure.

You would have a samurai sword...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11323 on: October 20, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »

Rascals?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11324 on: October 21, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »

Rascals?

well part of it is I know the other kids will be whiny and annoying and part of it is the thought of securing a table for 12 for every meal stresses me out.