Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106074 times)

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #600 on: November 12, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
As I stood there at the trophy presentation last year for the Houston something-something bowl, I turned to the people around me and said enjoy this moment because this is Bill's last moment as coach.

It should've been.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 12, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
Disconnect in that Snyder is truly a figure head now. He simply doesn't have the energy or input he once had. That helped make K-State great and now it's falling apart. IMO.

I see some of this as well.  Honestly it's just something that is going to happen.  Hard to have the same drive/desire/energy in your late 70's as you had in your 50's.  All that said, it will be nearly impossible to ever replicate the past 30 years.  People excited for Bill to step down just don't appreciate how truly difficult it is to have sustained success at a school like KSU, or any other non-top 10 program for that matter.  Congrats to ISU for finding Matt Campbell and having a "nice" season....borderline top 25.  Who thinks he will be there for 5 more years let alone 25 if he continues to win EIGHT games?   The only way to have a chance at long term success is to hire a coach with significant ties to the school that "might" keep them here during sustained success....and that's assuming he can have success in the first place.  The next several years will be a trying and difficult time.

yeah that's a pretty losery way to approach things. there's not a ton of jobs out there would interest a guy like Campbell and have that interest reciprocated.

Yes, i knew these posts were coming..."loser mentality".  LOL..this is reality.  I can accept that we hired a once in a lifetime coach 30 years ago that brought me more joy than i could have imagined.  I can also understand the difficulty of repeating that.  That doesn't make me a loser.  I "hope" we can hire a great coach that can compete for titles.  I "hope" we can be more successful with this hire than Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Nebraska, (this list is sooo long) all schools we have so many advantages over.  :rolleyes:  The best AD in the world would/will struggle to identify and secure the next great coach.  Time will tell.  I'm pretty confident i have a firm grasp on expectations.  Those of you who don't.......
a loser mentality is accepting failure, which you are clearly doing and so does 80% of our fanbase

I think you have a clear misunderstanding of the word "failure"

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 12, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »
I'm not going to lie, my thoughts on this whole thing are probably similar to WB. I suppose that makes me a loser too. That's why this season has been so disappointing; I wasn't even thinking Big 12 title necessarily, but I thought 9-3 was likely and a nice season for Snyder to go out.

I know its going to be difficult after he's done and that's coming soon. I don't hold any illusions that we're going to find another 25-30 year guy with the same levels of success (especially Snyder 1.0), but I'm hopeful we make the best hire possible and can continue with consistent winning 7-8 games per year and pushing toward competing for a league title every 5 years or so.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 12, 2017, 09:26:52 AM »
I'm not going to lie, my thoughts on this whole thing are probably similar to WB. I suppose that makes me a loser too. That's why this season has been so disappointing; I wasn't even thinking Big 12 title necessarily, but I thought 9-3 was likely and a nice season for Snyder to go out.

I know its going to be difficult after he's done and that's coming soon. I don't hold any illusions that we're going to find another 25-30 year guy with the same levels of success (especially Snyder 1.0), but I'm hopeful we make the best hire possible and can continue with consistent winning 7-8 games per year and pushing toward competing for a league title every 5 years or so.

Well hopefully the 20% "non-losers" will demand the AD hire an incredibly successful coach and ensure winning ways into the foreseeable future! Easy peasy! Huzzah!!

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 12, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »
I just don't understand the "we'll never be good again, so be happy we were for a bit" talking point. This football program is in a vastly different place from 1989. I think a good coach other than Bill can have success here. We have great facilities, a loyal fan base, daily flights for recruiting, and seem to be well funded. Accepting mediocrity is so losery.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 12, 2017, 09:30:21 AM »

im not calling anyone a loser, but thinking that only one man can coach this team successfully is ridiculous. And like above this isn’t 1989 anymore, i mean hell prince could recruit so it can be done.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 12, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
I just don't understand the "we'll never be good again, so be happy we were for a bit" talking point. This football program is in a vastly different place from 1989. I think a good coach other than Bill can have success here. We have great facilities, a loyal fan base, daily flights for recruiting, and seem to be well funded. Accepting mediocrity is so losery.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying getting a 30 year coach like Bill that has enormous success isn't likely. I do think its much more likely that when we get a successful coach, he jumps from K-State for a bigger opportunity if he has large levels of success. I don't think that should be a deterrent in hiring anyone, but I think its the likely reality of who we are.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 12, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »

Well hopefully the 20% "non-losers" will demand the AD hire an incredibly successful coach and ensure winning ways into the foreseeable future! Easy peasy! Huzzah!!
a) i  never said anyone was a loser, just that you have a loser mentality. B) if bill retired today would you be okay with it or mad?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 12, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
B) if bill retired today would you be okay with it or mad?

Bill absolutely needs to retire and the program needs to move on. Bill around in a lesser role because of age and illness is no good for this program as this season shows.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 12, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
Whatever happens needs to happen fast

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #610 on: November 12, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »
I'm not sure having a thirty year coach is a great thing to shoot for.  That era of coaching is essentially over.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 12, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »

im not calling anyone a loser, but thinking that only one man can coach this team successfully is ridiculous. And like above this isn’t 1989 anymore, i mean hell prince could recruit so it can be done.

Are you and EOSU suggesting that myself and the other 80% of our loser fanbase will be happy with winning 5 games a year? I think you don't fully grasp what i am saying or you are making a straw man argument.  6 years ago when i got married my wife wrote my vows and they included this phrase:  "whether KState is playing well or playing poorly"  IN MY WEDDING VOWS!  So don't misunderstand what i am saying here.  I desperately want to win, but it will be much, much harder than most people like yourself (maybe the 20% non-losers you speak of) expect or want to accept. 

And if Bill retires today, i will be very sad.  It will truly be the end of a wonderful era.  My 70 year old mother cried for 3 days when Bill retired the first time.  That's how i feel.  I'm sad.  Yes it probably needs to happen but i am sad.  Kinda like when George pulled the trigger on Lennie.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:43:58 AM by Whisker Biscuit »

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 12, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
Coaches jump ship all the time, at many programs. That's just the reality of today's game, and I'm fine with that. I hope our AD makes a good decision in the near future.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 12, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
I'm not sure having a thirty year coach is a great thing to shoot for.  That era of coaching is essentially over.

Probably so, but guys like Patterson and Gundy are having nice extended careers.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
If we want a 30 year coach, it'll have to be Sean.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 12, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »
I'm hoping for a really good 10-15 year guy, but if we get a guy who gives us a great 5 years and jumps I'll be fine with that.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »
Just hire Jim "oscar Weber" Leavitt and get it over with.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #617 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »

Probably so, but guys like Patterson and Gundy are having nice extended careers.
Right, but that's not the only way for KSU to be successful is all I am saying.

Trying to hire a guy just because you think he will stay for thirty years is a terrible way to find the best head coach you can get (as you agreed).

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 12, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »
Nothing about this year is weird as it relates to KSU. Our opponents collectively don’t suck as much as they have in past years. The game results this year shouldn’t have anyone any more concerned than when OBz legit couldn’t distinguish H3O and #LiFE.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »

Are you and EOSU suggesting that myself and the other 80% of our loser fanbase will be happy with winning 5 games a year? I think you don't fully grasp what i am saying or you are making a straw man argument.  6 years ago when i got married my wife wrote my vows and they included this phrase:  "whether KState is playing well or playing poorly"  IN MY WEDDING VOWS!  So don't misunderstand what i am saying here.  I desperately want to win, but it will be much, much harder than most people like yourself (maybe the 20% non-losers you speak of) expect or want to accept. 

And if Bill retires today, i will be very sad.  It will truly be the end of a wonderful era.  My 70 year old mother cried for 3 days when Bill retired the first time.  That's how i feel.  I'm sad.  Yes it probably needs to happen but i am sad.  Kinda like when George pulled the trigger on Lennie.
wow

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 12, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »
If you've ever cried for 3 days because a cfb coach retired, you might be too invested, IMO. I love the cats, but i can assure you I will never shed tears over it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 12, 2017, 10:04:35 AM »
Just hire Jim "oscar Weber" Leavitt and get it over with.

Exactly our plan.  We want to wait for him to get older and worse at coaching first

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 12, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »

Right, but that's not the only way for KSU to be successful is all I am saying.

Trying to hire a guy just because you think he will stay for thirty years is a terrible way to find the best head coach you can get (as you agreed).

yeah and if TCU and OSU can have runs like they've had with Gundy and Patterson, there's no reason to think ISU couldn't have something similar with a guy like Campbell.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 12, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
yeah and if TCU and OSU can have runs like they've had with Gundy and Patterson, there's no reason to think ISU couldn't have something similar with a guy like Campbell.

Perhaps, but can they pay him? I know there were some other parts to it, but they couldn't even keep their home grown fantastic basketball coach. Patterson is top 10 ($5+ mil) and Gundy top 20 (4+ mil) in salary, ISU isn't paying that type of money.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 12, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »

Perhaps, but can they pay him? I know there were some other parts to it, but they couldn't even keep their home grown fantastic basketball coach. Patterson is top 10 ($5+ mil) and Gundy top 20 (4+ mil) in salary, ISU isn't paying that type of money.

Why do you think ISU won't shell out 4 million a year to keep a football coach?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best