Author Topic: Syrian Operation  (Read 6401 times)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Syrian Operation
« on: April 07, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
I'm hoping this can be a catch all thread about the US ops. Hopefully, largely, bigly  :), devoid of political bickering.

I must have been under a rock in 2013 and am retroactively pisses and my man Obama for not doing something sooner.

I won't dwell on this because it didn't happen. I support the bombings and will support further strategic strikes on Syrian AF. I'll grant that I am limited in my knowledge of the whole Syrian issue. But I hope that the goal is to stop the use of chemical weapons. If the whole AF needs to be wiped out to achieve this, so be it.

I, currently, am not in favor of further action beyond that.

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to post tweets, pics, facts, opinions. Fingers crossed that it won't turn into another anti Trump anti Obama thread. We, as a country, bombed Syria.

Thanks fellow Americans. I look forward to the discourse.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Syrian Operation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
I feel this issue deserves it's own thread and the political fighting can stay in the Trump threads. Tia.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
I have to spend some time this weekend in research about this. I am so in the dark about much of the international relations game.  Hopefully there will be some insight shared here as well.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 02:13:26 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
So what was the point?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
yes, pics clearly showed the runways were unhit.

basically just blew up parking garages

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »
$100-180 million in tomahawk missiles, and for what? So now we can be drawn in to further retaliations and strikes.

This is a nightmare.

The Big Train

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »
We are going to win so HUGE!

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
$100-180 million in tomahawk missiles, and for what? So now we can be drawn in to further retaliations and strikes.

This is a nightmare.
What do you think should have been done?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
No won will win. I'm still trying to learn about the situation and hone my opinion. I feel this will all be judged with hindsight. I'll be a part of that as well. In this moment, I'm in support.

There will be no winners though. Chaos will ensue. People will die. Destruction will pile up. It's a mess. I'm not sure how anyone can sit idly by while innocent people are being barrel bombed and chemically attacked.

It's a tricky issue and I hope it turns out as well as it can. Fingers crossed.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
basically just blew up parking garages

i don't think that's accurate.  reports suggest as many as 20 syrian aircraft were damaged or destroyed.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
Thus far, we have hit the Syrian checkbook in the form of infrastructure, aircraft, and buildings with minimal loss of life.

If anything I say is this thread is patently false, feel free to correct me. I'm truly trying to learn itt.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »

This is a nightmare.

My preferred position would be to stay out of it.

A large number of people interested in living in a democracy that had been living in Syria already left. There are thousands and thousands of foreign fights representing al-Nusra (al-Qaeda), ISIS or other retrogrades, and then there is the Syrian government.

If you don't stay out of it, then get a UN resolution and broad, multi-lateral force if anything is going to be done. But even then, there is nothing to be gained by getting involved and empowering al-Qaeda or worse (ISIS) by fighting Assad and Assad is a monster too.

So stay out of it.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »
If we couldn't even blow up some concrete, my goodness. That should have been the main goal. If the jets can't take off, they are rendered useless. Good grief.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 02:48:53 PM »

This is a nightmare.

My preferred position would be to stay out of it.

A large number of people interested in living in a democracy that had been living in Syria already left. There are thousands and thousands of foreign fights representing al-Nusra (al-Qaeda), ISIS or other retrogrades, and then there is the Syrian government.

If you don't stay out of it, then get a UN resolution and broad, multi-lateral force if anything is going to be done. But even then, there is nothing to be gained by getting involved and empowering al-Qaeda or worse (ISIS) by fighting Assad and Assad is a monster too.

So stay out of it.
Ok. I've been seeing reports saying ISIS is losing land hand over foot in Iraq and Syria. That the US has bombed ISIS over 8k times. That the rebels opposed to Asad are also in favor.

I'm torn, KK, even after seeing that the bombing sucked ass. I wish we weren't so deep in the ME. But I also feel for the people of Syria being terrorized.

Thank you for your input. You are far more knowledgeable on this matter than I.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
I heard an expert on TV say that if they wanted to destroy runways, they wouldn't have used tomahawks.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
i don't think destroying the runways was a goal, nor does it makes sense that it should have been.  it's not that hard to put an plane in the air.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
I heard an expert on TV say that if they wanted to destroy runways, they wouldn't have used tomahawks.
Are we planning on using that airport later? I rough ridin' hope not. But that's the only rational reason I can come up with. For goodness sake, mix in some normal bombs then to make the landing strips unusable. The Mediterranean is close enough to launch air strikes from.

(Syrian guy on CNN just ripped Hilary a new one for not voicing her opinion when Obama was inactive. That the Syrian people don't want to immigrate they'd rather stay home)

The Big Train

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »
No won will win. I'm still trying to learn about the situation and hone my opinion. I feel this will all be judged with hindsight. I'll be a part of that as well. In this moment, I'm in support.

There will be no winners though. Chaos will ensue. People will die. Destruction will pile up. It's a mess. I'm not sure how anyone can sit idly by while innocent people are being barrel bombed and chemically attacked.

It's a tricky issue and I hope it turns out as well as it can. Fingers crossed.

War in general is bad all the way around. I certainly wouldn't know what to do. It's way easier to criticize and when you aren't making the real decisions. Leading this national is the hardest job of all and only 45 people ever know what it's like.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »
You're probably right Sys. I'm sure there is enough flat land beside the concrete to launch them. I'm gonna stop posting for a bit and read. I'm starting to look silly.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
I don't know a ton about it, but if there are chemical war crimes being committed, I have no idea how anyone can say the US should just stay out of it.

Now whether we lead/are a part of a movement to get other nations/organizations together to fight this together, can be argued, but the US should absolutely be a part of stopping it in some way, shape, or form.

But again, I've been too busy to read much on it so this post could be irrelevant.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »
The key IMO is that if you're going to do it, you need a plan, and you need to follow through, and you have to have an idea of what that end goal is. Half hearted, half baked, and half cocked is a poor way of dealing with a situation that is as complex as any countries civil war.

If we are going to do this, we need to clearly define what we see success is. Is success deposing Assad? Is success making Syria fully democratic and peaceful? Are you willing to commit to years long occupation, and spend the money to achieve that? Can the American people see a real tangible benefit for it? Are you willing to provide for the veterans properly when they come home broken?

If you can't answer those question with confidence, and with a plan, than stay away, and don't do much more than lob a few missiles for show. I know it sucks, and despicable to allow that bad person Assad gas people, but things like these are giant black hole cesspools of despair where there very few winner, and most people are losers.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
I think the plan was to just bomb them once to show them we are serious and hope they don't use chemical weapons again.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
Are we planning on using that airport later? I rough ridin' hope not. But that's the only rational reason I can come up with. For goodness sake, mix in some normal bombs then to make the landing strips unusable. The Mediterranean is close enough to launch air strikes from.

(Syrian guy on CNN just ripped Hilary a new one for not voicing her opinion when Obama was inactive. That the Syrian people don't want to immigrate they'd rather stay home)

To do air strikes you have to remove air defense systems which probably means boots on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk