Author Topic: Hopefully An Issue We Can Get Some Bi-Partisan Agreement On  (Read 46698 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully An Issue We Can Get Some Bi-Partisan Agreement On
« Reply #477 on: August 25, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/verizon-couldn-t-have-restricted-santa-clara-county-s-phone-ncna903531

Years in telecom, that's nothing more than a typical boneheaded customer service issue, which sadly happens all the time.

Why that government entity didn't have a dedicated account team they could contact is baffling.

It's also LOL'able to think that the companies that spend billions on their networks, and are already highly regulated, paying billions in taxes and fees to the government already.  Paying billions to local governments, power companies (true monopolies) and transportation entities (like railroads) for right of way, pole access etc. etc.  Wouldn't be allowed to run their own networks as they see fit as the article suggests.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 15, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
It really looks like we probably have pretty solid bipartisan agreement after all.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3kmedj/997-percent-of-unique-fcc-comments-favored-net-neutrality?utm_source=reddit.com

We just need new representation.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 18, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
Hey everybody, how’s your internet working?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 18, 2019, 02:42:26 PM »

1 gig now available at my house, up from 400Mbps.   HOA signed a bulk deal:  150 channels, 1G of Internet, and they just installed a blow torch Ruckus Access Point in every residence.  $45 a month.  QAM service which means no cable boxes, On Demand and Cloud Based DVR.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 18, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »
Still pretty neutral though?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 18, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Still pretty neutral though?

Provider does no prioritization or blocking.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »

1 gig now available at my house, up from 400Mbps.   HOA signed a bulk deal:  150 channels, 1G of Internet, and they just installed a blow torch Ruckus Access Point in every residence.  $45 a month.  QAM service which means no cable boxes, On Demand and Cloud Based DVR.

Hot damn
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2019, 08:28:44 PM »
Yeah, I mean that's a hell of a deal...

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »
Even if congress passes it there isn't an ISP on earth that would take advantage right away.  Would be business suicide.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 19, 2019, 07:32:27 AM »
Even if congress passes it there isn't an ISP on earth that would take advantage right away.  Would be business suicide.

We’re six months into the proclaimed internet Armageddon of no net neutrality. What’s your over/under on when the evil internet barons roll out Operation DOOM?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Hopefully An Issue We Can Get Some Bi-Partisan Agreement On
« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2019, 07:40:49 AM »
To be clear, KSU-W, you also support Google’s right to prioritize search results in any way Bezos sees fit, right?
:adios:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2019, 07:44:22 AM »
To be clear, KSU-W, you also support Google’s right to prioritize search results in any way Bezos sees fit, right?

Nope. Did the net neutrality regs address that?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2019, 07:52:19 AM »

No, they didn’t.  So your position is that search engines shouldn’t have the right to prioritize results on their site, but ISPs should have the the right to prioritize bandwidth for certain sites over others?

Those positions seem wholly inconsistent to me. I can understand if you think that each private company should do whatever they want, but why limit one and not the other? For much of the country, ISPs have a local monopoly. If you don’t like the way Google search results are ordered, you can always choose Bing (if your ISP lets you).

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 19, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
I've not experienced one argument against net neutrality that makes any factual sense.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 19, 2019, 08:05:51 AM »

No, they didn’t.  So your position is that search engines shouldn’t have the right to prioritize results on their site, but ISPs should have the the right to prioritize bandwidth for certain sites over others?

Those positions seem wholly inconsistent to me. I can understand if you think that each private company should do whatever they want, but why limit one and not the other? For much of the country, ISPs have a local monopoly. If you don’t like the way Google search results are ordered, you can always choose Bing (if your ISP lets you).

My “position” is that the net neutrality regs weren’t necessary, and when did I say Google search prioritizariom should be regulated?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 19, 2019, 08:08:56 AM »
Okay, fair enough. You don’t support their right to, but don’t think it should be regulated away from them.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 19, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »
I've not experienced one argument against net neutrality that makes any factual sense.

Obamacare for the internet
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2019, 08:24:36 AM »
Okay, fair enough. You don’t support their right to, but don’t think it should be regulated away from them.

Yeah sorry - I didn’t read your question closely enough. I guess they should have the right even if I don’t like it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2019, 08:26:04 AM »

Especially the part about not having a good grasp on the subject.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »

-W’s limitation of the quantity of regulation is actually a decent one. It’s not an argument against net neutrality though, just an argument for the null set.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2019, 08:35:39 AM »
I don’t see a feasible way to regulate search prioritizarion and other liberal-leaning speech filters of influential social networking sites - which is concerning - without a host of unintended consequences.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 19, 2019, 08:46:12 AM »
I'd love to read a search regulation.  That would be all kinds of LOL.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 19, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
Are there any advantages to the public for non-neutrality?

Question still hasn't been answered
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite