Author Topic: We played a game last night, correct?  (Read 9685 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We played a game last night, correct?
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
-Mahomes is ridiculous. I heard a guy from Tech speculate that he would declare for the draft after this season and I :lol: jokes on me, he better not come back, he should just quit now. If he's able to play pro style he's going to be a star in the NFL. I don't know what was more impressive, his ridiculously strong and accurate arm or what he did to poor Jordan Willis in the open field on one of his TD runs.

-Looks like they decided to let Sisco run, he looked good. Our offense is predicated upon the quarterback being able to at least be a threat to run. He still holds the ball too long, but it was nice to see him go through progressions.

-That was the best defensive performance of the year, only allowing three second half points from that team is unreal. That offense is the one we are least equipped to stop because they don't run at all and our front 7 is obviously the strength of the team, that being said...

-DJamer Reed and Dante Barnett are almost assured to be first team all conference. Teams are going to either have to stay away from Reed or he's going end the season with about 10 picks. There isn't another quarterback in the conference that can throw into the windows that Mahomes did. The refs took one from Reed, Mahomes accurate passing took about two more.

-Good performance, the only group I thought could have been better were the WRs. I know we thought Tech going into this game was dog crap but they look like a team that's going to finish top half of the conference, they certainly look better than UT, TCU, and OSU.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: We played a game last night, correct?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »
Reed is good but he is very feast or famine. Gets beat too easily on deep balls. (Could blame some of that on absolutely zero safety help)

Other than that i agree with everything else. The lbs are just rough ridin' awesome. Reggie and charm are gonna be studs at the next level

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »
our defense is good, but our offense is very bad.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
The way Mahomes played, and the way their offense clicked in the first half made me very nervous, so to have the defense tighten up and "figure it out" at HT was really nice.

I wish our WRs came up with the ball the way Tech's WR did. Mahomes does a lot with that, but their WRs seemed more able to hold onto the ball.

Always love when we get non offensive TDs. So to get a pick 6 from Reed, and a KO from Pringle made me very :D

Jones had a pretty good night, sure he could've play better but he did well and should be recognized for it.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 11:36:31 AM »
It was night and day comparing receivers. Do we have 1 person on the team who can reliably catch? Doesn't help that Ertz isn't an accurate thrower.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 11:38:42 AM »

Yeah, I think our running game will be ok, but we have to balance it out with some semblance of a passing game.  One encouraging thing for me last night was that of Ertz' 10 incompletions, I only really remember 1 pass that was defensed.  His other 9 incompletions were dropped balls or him missing an open receiver.  You might be thinking, well _33 what is so encouraging about that? Well our receivers are getting open and our pass protection was pretty good so maybe we will get better at "finishing" our passing plays as the season goes along?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »

Yeah, I think our running game will be ok, but we have to balance it out with some semblance of a passing game.  One encouraging thing for me last night was that of Ertz' 10 incompletions, I only really remember 1 pass that was defensed.  His other 9 incompletions were dropped balls or him missing an open receiver.  You might be thinking, well _33 what is so encouraging about that? Well our receivers are getting open and our pass protection was pretty good so maybe we will get better at "finishing" our passing plays as the season goes along?

Ertz is a bad passer.  There is lots of evidence of this.  As far as receivers go, Burton is a lost cause.  I like Zuber, Pringle and Heath but two of them are tiny and none of them are physical at all and our QB is never going to be very accurate enough .  It makes sense that we are always throwing fades and gos along the sideline because it is less likely to end up as an INT, but it takes away a lot of throws over the middle because Ertz can't hit his targets.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 12:46:53 PM »
Reed is good but he is very feast or famine. Gets beat too easily on deep balls. (Could blame some of that on absolutely zero safety help)

Other than that i agree with everything else. The lbs are just rough ridin' awesome. Reggie and charm are gonna be studs at the next level

I mean even great corners get beat deep

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 12:54:55 PM »
Great how the refs protect their marquee program

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 01:00:48 PM »
I think our qbs wear so much padding that their arms are restricted and hurts their mechanics/throwing ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »
I like Reed, but the reason he is getting so much action is because teams are staying clear away from Duke.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 01:14:33 PM »
I like Reed, but the reason he is getting so much action is because teams are staying clear away from Duke.

That certainly wasn't true yesterday

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »

We have two good corners. One is more of a ball hawk, and one is more fundamentally sound.

But the best part is that they're both sophomores.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
I was pleased with the game. The defense gave up more points than I would like to see, but when you have defensive and special teams touchdowns, you have to defend extra drives. We need to get better offensively.

The Big Train

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »
ChiliDog said on the post game last night that LHCBS is 18-0 when his teams score both a special teams and defensive TD.  So as long as we can keep doing that and Sisco keeps running and stuff I think we will be ok the rest of this year.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »
Great post MIR. Made me feel good about the cats. I like that.  :emawkid:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 03:25:06 PM »
ChiliDog said on the post game last night that LHCBS is 18-0 when his teams score both a special teams and defensive TD.  So as long as we can keep doing that and Sisco keeps running and stuff I think we will be ok the rest of this year.

I'd imagine that the all time winning percentage of teams with both of those ID's around 98%.

The Big Train

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 03:26:48 PM »

I'd imagine that the all time winning percentage of teams with both of those ID's around 98%.

That extra 2% is what separates Bill from the rest

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 04:58:44 PM »

That extra 2% is what separates Bill from the rest

Oklahoma state has won 99 of its last 100 games when leading with 0:00 left in the 4th quarter. There's always outliers

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »

happy we won, but i don't think you can take much away from this game. through 5 games i see a team that is much like last year's: excruciatingly boring and thoroughly mediocre (albeit in different ways)

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »

Ertz is a bad passer.  There is lots of evidence of this.  As far as receivers go, Burton is a lost cause.  I like Zuber, Pringle and Heath but two of them are tiny and none of them are physical at all and our QB is never going to be very accurate enough .  It makes sense that we are always throwing fades and gos along the sideline because it is less likely to end up as an INT, but it takes away a lot of throws over the middle because Ertz can't hit his targets.

We had a few drops, but there is no question we have good receivers. We just have to get someone who can deliver them the ball consistently. I'm not sure we're avoiding any routes because of Ertz though - he missed a WR on a post on 3rd and 20 right over the middle. That's a fairly dangerous place to throw the ball.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
The way Mahomes played, and the way their offense clicked in the first half made me very nervous, so to have the defense tighten up and "figure it out" at HT was really nice.

Very impressive 2nd half. Played poorly in the first half - or coached poorly - but the second half was something else.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »

happy we won, but i don't think you can take much away from this game. through 5 games i see a team that is much like last year's: excruciatingly boring and thoroughly mediocre (albeit in different ways)

I don't think that's necessarily true. The defense is a lot better, and the offense can do a little more with Ertz than they did with Hubener.

We are probably going to have a better record than the middle chunk of the league. Last year's team wouldn't have beat this Tech team.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »

Very impressive 2nd half. Played poorly in the first half - or coached poorly - but the second half was something else.

I think the defensive coaches made great adjustments as the game went on. We didn't just sit back and take it. We tried some blitzes that Tech handled well, but I think eventually we found some coverages that slowed Mahomes' reads which finally gave us a shot to get pressure. He does a great job of getting the ball out quick but we made him think pause more in the 2nd half which gave our pass rush a chance.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 06:34:29 PM »

I don't think that's necessarily true. The defense is a lot better, and the offense can do a little more with Ertz than they did with Hubener.

We are probably going to have a better record than the middle chunk of the league. Last year's team wouldn't have beat this Tech team.

the defense is better. can't argue that. i think the main difference was playing at home and luck. on offense, i see ways in which Ertz is better than hubener. more speed, can break off a few long scrambles, occasionally throws a nice intermediate pass, but he's no more accurate overall, and i don't think he gets us into plays or runs the offense any better. at least last night ertz appeared slightly less terrified when asked to run. i guess i just wish we had an actually good qb this year bc we could win 10 games.