Author Topic: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas  (Read 438341 times)

Offline Vitojr130

• Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »
:excited:

so how many of these combo football/basketball/whatever else domes exist out there?  i mean i know the obvious other one, but surely there's many others i can't think of...?  seems like it would be kinda sad to watch a football game there :frown:  knock in a field goal and it bounces off the VB ref's tower and hits the pummel horse or something, just weird.  can't process it all

wikipedia tells me it's the smallest FBS venue around?

The Fargodome is our football venue and it's sweet because it gives us a huge homefield advantage: noise. No sound escapes and when the crowd gets loud, you can literally go deaf. They sell earplugs to people who don't want to risk it. Anyway, when we play UND in basketball, they can convert the Fargodome to a bball arena that seats approx: 8000 or so since our normal bball arena can't hold enough people.

But yes, Idaho has the smallest FBS venue and frankly, it's very ugly and crude.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
ITT We Laugh At Other Pud Teams' Pud Stadiums/Arenas
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:55 AM »
We are supposed to be nice to Idaho for EmoEMAW's friend. :curse:

Vandalvision 2025!
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2013, 01:17:05 AM »
The Kibbie Dome was actually an outdoor stadium for a few years before they covered it.  The more interesting (I think) dome in Idaho is Holt Arena at Idaho State.  It was actually built before the Kibbie Dome, was originally built as a dome, and was originally called the MiniDome.  It was built in 1970 and is the 2nd oldest dome to the AstroDome.  The odd thing about it is that the field sits under the arch so that roof is at it's highest over the 50 and comes down towards the endzones.

I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2013, 01:59:27 AM »
The Fargodome is our football venue and it's sweet because it gives us a huge homefield advantage: noise. No sound escapes and when the crowd gets loud, you can literally go deaf. They sell earplugs to people who don't want to risk it.

Now convinced that this is a sock.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2013, 06:14:28 AM »
Oh man, can't wait to see the Troy Trojancats Arena!

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »
The Kibbie Dome was actually an outdoor stadium for a few years before they covered it.  The more interesting (I think) dome in Idaho is Holt Arena at Idaho State.  It was actually built before the Kibbie Dome, was originally built as a dome, and was originally called the MiniDome.  It was built in 1970 and is the 2nd oldest dome to the AstroDome.  The odd thing about it is that the field sits under the arch so that roof is at it's highest over the 50 and comes down towards the endzones.

You think that's more interesting than a basketball arena whose goalposts are missing a crossbar?

Dang. I should've gone through Pocatello and gone to the Steve Holt Dome. It was just a little bit out of the way though. :frown:  pop
Quiz, hotshots: You know what I associate the orientation of Steve Holt Domeski with? Two CBB arenas. One historic (and cinematically historic, too) and one in the SEC. Can anyone name the two I'm thinking of?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
:excited:

so how many of these combo football/basketball/whatever else domes exist out there?  i mean i know the obvious other one, but surely there's many others i can't think of...?  seems like it would be kinda sad to watch a football game there :frown:  knock in a field goal and it bounces off the VB ref's tower and hits the pummel horse or something, just weird.  can't process it all

wikipedia tells me it's the smallest FBS venue around?

The Fargodome is our football venue and it's sweet because it gives us a huge homefield advantage: noise. No sound escapes and when the crowd gets loud, you can literally go deaf. They sell earplugs to people who don't want to risk it. Anyway, when we play UND in basketball, they can convert the Fargodome to a bball arena that seats approx: 8000 or so since our normal bball arena can't hold enough people.

But yes, Idaho has the smallest FBS venue and frankly, it's very ugly and crude.

You'd think if it were an issue they'd just give away the earplugs.  Hearing loss is a serious matter. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
The Fargodome is our football venue and it's sweet because it gives us a huge homefield advantage: noise. No sound escapes and when the crowd gets loud, you can literally go deaf. They sell earplugs to people who don't want to risk it.

Now convinced that this is a sock.

yes.  or someone who has never been to a real college football game

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »

You think that's more interesting than a basketball arena whose goalposts are missing a crossbar?

Dang. I should've gone through Pocatello and gone to the Steve Holt Dome. It was just a little bit out of the way though. :frown:  pop
Quiz, hotshots: You know what I associate the orientation of Steve Holt Domeski with? Two CBB arenas. One historic (and cinematically historic, too) and one in the SEC. Can anyone name the two I'm thinking of?

I'm going to guess the gym from Hoosiers and Ole Miss (probably wrong on both).

Anyway, you inspired me to do some wikiresearch on Holt Arena, and I learned some interesting factoids.

"The indoor arena was conceived by ISU athletic director Milton W. "Dubby" Holt in 1966. ISU students voted to appropriate not more than $2.8 million to the project two years later.[2] Originally named the ASISU MiniDome, it replaced the outdoor "Spud Bowl"

They've really been pimpin' potatoes for a long time, I see.  Also, lol at "not more than $2.8 mil."  That's $16.6 million in 2013 dollars.  There are lessons to be learned here.  Anywhere, here's this gem:

"Following the success of the MiniDome, several other colleges built enclosed stadiums, including the Kibbie Dome at the University of Idaho in Moscow"

And in regards to the caller's question from earlier: "Holt Arena is one of two enclosed stadiums currently in use in the Big Sky Conference; the Walkup Skydome at Northern Arizona in Flagstaff, opened in 1977, is the other."

The Walkup Skydome is the home of the NAU Lumberjacks basketball and football programs.  They switched from Astroturf to "Dallas Cowboy Style" Field Turf around 2002 - a move which they are very proud of.   It was mentioned in their wiki article, and I've found several fragments of P.R. floating around the internet about it.  #BigTime.  Here's a few pics from Google, I hope SB is ok with the fact that I didn't snap them myself.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
They have a Johnny Kaw too.  :horrorsurprise:

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
I agree with the idea for a 2-1 with Wyoming.

I've always wanted to visit Wyoming.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
Gawd. Does the Lumberjack west side castle just completely obliterate the 20 rows behind it or what?

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2013, 12:49:19 AM »
I think these domes and mini stadiums away from the big lights of college FB have sort of a charm to them.

These schools are scraping by and doing what they can so they can field a squad in Americas favorite sport (eat it baseball).

It's cool and I would gladly catch a game in an Idaho college dome..

Offline Norma Stitz

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • www.championshipsubdivision.com
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2013, 07:11:33 AM »

It is rumored that one punt (in practice) grazed the ceiling of the Fargodome.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2013, 07:59:05 AM »

Why are there no HD graphics on the "videoboards"?

:cry:
bears are fast...

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »

Why are there no HD graphics on the "videoboards"?

:cry:

Shhhh!  We don't have HD videoboards either.  If you're gonna make fun of someone for not having something, you should probably make sure you have it yourself first...

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
IDAHO WILDVANDALS.

This one makes me sad.

What's the point of the Allstate net between the uprights? 

Oh noes!  The ball might go in the stands!  Wait...

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
Vandals stole their crossbar. :frown:

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »

is that the expocentre? yuck
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
No that's what I meant: we can all use google (on our own) so no reason to post that crap in here. Plus, Goog Photes are usually pictures showing stadiums in their best, most professional light. With Google images you aren't going to get the weird light-up ram at Moby Arena ("...beeelh") or the guy asleep in the bleachers.

been thinking a lot about him. what was his deal anyway?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »
I think he was on shrooms at basketball camp.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2013, 12:18:18 PM »
I think he was on shrooms at basketball camp.

Classic.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »
Oh also this is what I was talking about earlier with my hoop arena quiz question. The two that remind me of the Holt Dome in Pocatello are Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse and Alabama's Coleman Coliseum. They're not exactly the same as ISU's dome but the orientation of the court in relation to the ceiling is rotated 90 degrees from where you would logically expect it to be. It plays tricks on my mind. :eek:

(Because he's myyyy) Butler:

Alabama (Mayowinnaahhh):

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »
Wazzu Wougs

Since I was in Moscow, ID. and Pullman is only 8 miles away over the border I thought I would swing over and cross off my ninth Pac-12 stadium (#humblebrag #viral #palouse). Check out this article from the Battle of the Palouse wikipedia:

As two schools are less than eight miles apart, there was once a tradition called The Loser’s Walk, where students of the losing school would walk from the winner's campus back to their own. In 1954, the walk made national news when about 2,000 students from Washington State College made the trek west from Moscow to Pullman after the Cougars lost to Idaho for the first time in 29 years.[4][5][6]

I had heard bad things about Pullman, that it was desolate and too small, nothing to do, wouldn't exist without WSU, etc. Not really true from what I saw. Seemed kinda sweet. Nice small college town and as far as a game at Martin Stadium? Would go. Basketball arena seems kinda sterile, though. At least it's named after Michael Beasley.

Hey, how'd this rascal get up there??

Beasley Arena was fairly Bramlage'y in my opinion. Similar size, octagonal, smallish concourses. It seems way more sterile than the fOOD, though.

Those concourses...woof

We have Garth Brooks and Bill Cosby in a HELLO FRIEND shirt, they have a ginor drawing by Gary Larson (WSU alum).

Holler back for a dope scoreboard.

D'oh. This was taken from the arena's end zone fun zone way in the top rows. One side has this huge black cloth thingy that they dangle from the ceiling, presumably to cover up all the pipes and catwalks and whatnot. I guess they think it looks better this way. But people up there get no scoreboard. :frown:

Their tunnel. Doesn't even have a Briggs logo on a giant tarp, SMH.

Top row, midcourt.

Batcougs play here. It's a little meager. They have fieldturf "dirt" too, so if they ever host a regional (yeah right, way too small, NCAA should never allow that), pig aggy fans can get their panties in a bundle over it.

I remember that there were a bunch of people way back when talking about WSU's renovations in the BSFS thread. Here are some pictures that show how far along they were when I visited about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Looks like they'll be playing their first few games at Arrowhead. :frown:

But guys....guys.......THEY HAVE A CRANE! And it's in Washington, just like on the show! We'll name this one Martin Crane, after Niles and Frasier's dad. It's smaller time than our two and it doesn't do very much (kinda like the retired and kinda paralyzed Martin on the show), and it's at Martin Stadium. :cool:

Definitely needs more limestone.

View from their concourse above the end zone stands. Press box looked pretty elite, if a little bit plain by comparison to our castle. Classy, though. Wat do u guyz think? Other than obstructing the views of a bunch of seats I think it's pretty great. Nice work, Cougz.

Martin! Their practice fields are in the background (you can tell by the lights).

The placement of this lightpole makes me sad and is very CICO'y.

If they would just get some normal goalposts then they could probably be proud of this house they built.

Teeny but cozy. Kinda cute.

KU: THIS is how you do curvature behind an end zone. Notice how they are not 17 miles away from the field.

Construction cats/construction cougs! Tell me what's going on here.

Guy dangling from wall (black part). Hey guy, hold on tight!

WSU WSC from the student section side of the field. Really solid work by the cougarcats.

OUCH!

They have a Call Hall. It has huckleberry ice cream.  :lick:

The Palouse is awesome.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:57:54 PM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
HEY CHECK THIS OUT:

IDAHO HAS THE CHAIRS...

AND WAZZU HAS THE TABLES!

:D :D :D