Author Topic: competitive little kid sports  (Read 36353 times)

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: competitive little kid sports
« Reply #1050 on: April 11, 2024, 10:58:58 AM »
For example, I think Sweden has set a great example by partially privatizing their Social Security system.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 11, 2024, 11:06:01 AM »
Maybe big apple cat should move there

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 11, 2024, 11:12:51 AM »
I don't want to eat Nordic food anyway
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 11, 2024, 11:20:10 AM »
I don't want to eat Nordic food anyway

I guess you're not a skier? Somehow, all that pickled fish produces the best skiers in the world.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
competitive little kid sports
« Reply #1054 on: April 11, 2024, 02:02:10 PM »
For example, I think Sweden has set a great example by partially privatizing their Social Security system.
I admit I started it, but let’s not pit this up.

I’m curious what you think about the model for youth sports as compared with our pay to play system. I think rec leagues from our youth are probably overly romanticized but covid for sure killed off MPRD sports in MHK and I think that was a loss for the community.

I also think generally that open gyms or pick up for basketball and regular pick up games for soccer and vital for the health of the sports. I think we are too far gone on baseball in the states but pick up game culture is sports culture for most of the world.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:27:16 PM by Kat Kid »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 11, 2024, 03:07:09 PM »

I’m curious what you think about the model for youth sports as compared with our pay to play system. I think rec leagues from our youth are probably overly romanticized but covid for sure killed off MPRD sports in MHK and I think that was a loss for the community.

I also think generally that open gyms or pick up for basketball and regular pick up games for soccer and vital for the health of the sports. I think we are too far gone on baseball in the states but pick up game culture is sports culture for most of the world.

Funnily, as a small government guy, I typically find sports (especially youth, school, college) the perfect place for government intervention.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 12, 2024, 09:34:53 AM »

I do not particularly like pay for play. I am most familiar with youth soccer and my thoughts will primarily be based off my experiences in youth soccer.

Nothing is going to change in US youth soccer until there is the introduction of solidarity payments as there is in much of the world of soccer. There is a good chance that this is what makes the facilities in Bryne, Norway possible. The US Soccer Federation should be handsomely rewarding clubs who produce players that make the various national teams and/or play at a high level. They have a lot of money and waste it on their cronies. There is never going to be some sort of government support for youth sports and I wouldn't be in favor of it. Solidarity payments would completely change how youth soccer operates.

I also am not convinced that pick up game culture is the sports culture in Europe. I'm sure there are plenty of kids playing pick up soccer games, but the ones that are good are going to club Academies at young ages.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 13, 2024, 10:16:46 AM »

I do not particularly like pay for play. I am most familiar with youth soccer and my thoughts will primarily be based off my experiences in youth soccer.

Nothing is going to change in US youth soccer until there is the introduction of solidarity payments as there is in much of the world of soccer. There is a good chance that this is what makes the facilities in Bryne, Norway possible. The US Soccer Federation should be handsomely rewarding clubs who produce players that make the various national teams and/or play at a high level. They have a lot of money and waste it on their cronies. There is never going to be some sort of government support for youth sports and I wouldn't be in favor of it. Solidarity payments would completely change how youth soccer operates.

I also am not convinced that pick up game culture is the sports culture in Europe. I'm sure there are plenty of kids playing pick up soccer games, but the ones that are good are going to club Academies at young ages.
is that through scholarships to the academies?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 13, 2024, 12:20:25 PM »

is that through scholarships to the academies?
There are plenty of challenges like a lack of population density and no scale for infrastructure and coaching for academies because of the relatively huge lack of professional clubs compared to most of the rest of the world. I like your idea but those other challenges are not easy to solve.

As far as pick up culture, I don’t pretend to know much about Europe but I would guess it is at least similar to basketball culture here. For poorer countries that have fewer academies there is a very strong pick up culture and I think the problem is we have neither.

I think it is hard to imagine we get kids playing unsupervised in streets and parks given our society’s ability paranoia anti-social parenting culture but maybe we can do a bit better at pick up game culture by starting with more accessible youth sports facilities. I think Manhattan has done some of this hard work with the middle schools and Douglass center, but there is more to be done.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 13, 2024, 12:23:58 PM »
About pick up soccer in manhattan, for adults I think it is actually pretty great and my life has been improved by it so much and I am very thankful for it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 13, 2024, 02:30:37 PM »
I didn't know the ins and outs of European soccer academies, but I bet many of the best ones use a lot of unstructured pickup-like games even if they aren't explicitly unscheduled and welcome to the entire neighborhood

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 15, 2024, 08:22:25 AM »
Oof, first AAA tournament of the year did not go well at all. At least my weekend was freed up quite a bit though.  :driving: