Author Topic: Cool Sciencey Pictures  (Read 148572 times)

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Sciencey Pictures
« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »

First to break speed of sound without a vehicle. This dude is off his rocker.

That video terrified me. Is this the same guy who had a tear in his glove and his hand swelled up like a melon?

Not quite sure about that.  I know there was another guy that was planning on doing the same thing within the last few years, but never saw if he ended up going through with it.  Last I saw he was still low on money and countries were denying him takeoff on their land.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 02, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »
Cyclone Yasi made landfall near Mission Beach in Queensland, Australia in the early morning hours of February 3, 2011 as a Category 5 storm. This image of Cyclone Yasi uses MTSAT-2 visible imagery from February 2, 2011 at 0632Z, late afternoon in Australia.

The image here is visualized using McIDAS, Photoshop and Maya. McIDAS was used to access and image the data from NOAA's MTSAT operational satellite ingest server at a resolution of 4096x4096 pixels. NASA's Blue Marble data set provides the colored land imagery. Two images were prepared in Photoshop, one a combination of the land and satellite image in color and one in black and white darkening all but the white cloud tops. The black and white image was used as a displacement map in Maya, creating the 3D appearance of the clouds, and the color image was draped over the displacement as a texture.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
cool sciencey video

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
 :dunno:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:44:30 PM by Chingon »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »
 :star:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 07, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
The photo above shows a layer of mid-level clouds and their shadows as observed from an altitude of approximately 8,500 ft (2,590 m). It was taken flying east to west somewhere over the desert of southeastern California -- the camera is facing northwest. Note the thin beams of light filtering through the altocumulus cloud deck. From this perspective, the picture seems as if it could have been snapped by a scuba diver. Shadows from the clouds projected upon the desert floor look much like undulations in sand in shallow water. In actuality, the dappled surface results from the interplay of nearly vertical sunbeams and cloud shadows -- crepuscular rays. The wavy appearance of the shadows is caused by uneven topography. Photo taken on October 12, 2007.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2011, 12:59:21 PM »
- chunkles

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42:45 AM »

<object id="player1"
 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data=" "
 width="1200" height="900"><param name="movie"
 value=" "><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">
<param name="FlashVars" value="configxml=http://www.astrosurf.com/sguisard/Anim-astro/P88-P89/P88-89.xml">
</object>

:star:

This along with your post before is absolutely mind blowing.  Knowing that Earth is a micro-spec of what we know as the Universe always makes me  :horrorsurprise:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2011, 11:54:28 AM »
A whirlpool is seen near Oarai City, Ibaraki Prefecture, northeastern Japan, March 11, 2011.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
The underside of space shuttle Discovery is visible in this image photographed by an Expedition 23 crew member on the International Space Station soon after the shuttle and station began their post-undocking relative separation on April 17th, 2010. Undocking ended a stay of 10 days, 5 hours and 8 minutes.The recognizable feature on Earth below is the south end of Isla de Providencia, about 150 miles off the coast of Nicaragua near 13.3 degrees north latitude 81.4 degrees west longitude.

- chunkles

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2011, 02:43:58 PM »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »
Workers inspect a caved-in section of a prefectural road in Satte, Saitama Prefecture, after one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded in Japan slammed its eastern coast March 11.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2011, 07:53:05 AM »
The photo below seemingly shows a sky calligraphed with clouds above Davos, Switzerland. In actuality, they're remnant contrails from Swiss Air Force F/A-18s jets made some hours before. These jets were engaged in training maneuvers. The spirals near the top of the picture result from a mock "dogfight" and are related to hole punch clouds and fall streaks. Note that the zenith is at the top of the photo and southwest is toward the bottom. The fact that these contrails remained intact since the training exercise ended indicates that both sufficient water vapor was present at the level of the jet maneuvers (perhaps 20,000 ft or 6,000 m) and that wind shear was minimal. Where the jets were guided in a steep trajectory, the contrails are more confined; longer sausage-like contrails appear where the jets followed a more horizontal flight path.
- chunkles

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »

Little brown bat, turned invisible (by yours truly  :gocho:).

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 17, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »
Iridescent Clouds over Mt. Everest. The rare phenomenon is caused by light reflecting off tiny ice crystals inside the body of the cloud's water vapor.
- chunkles

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
The photo below showing greenhouses galore in shades of beige, tan and sepia was taken above Almería Province in southeastern Spain. On the arid plains of Spain, produce is grown under the world's largest array of greenhouses and trucked northward to various distribution centers.
- chunkles

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 25, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 25, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »
Recipe for a rainbow: Add bright sunlight to raindrops and voila!--a beautiful band of multi-colors arcs across the sky. With such an ingredient list, you might suppose that rainbows can only be seen during the day, yet last night Ethan Tweedie of Kamuela, Hawaii, recorded this spectacular example long after dark. "It was a moonbow," explains Tweedie. The bright moon played the role of sun, illuminating nightime raindrops falling through the damp Hawaiian air. "I've been trying to photograph a moonbow for a long time. Last night I was driving back from the Volcano there it was!"

- chunkles

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »
Photo of a double sun taken in China described as an extremely rare optical illusion

A tentative explanation by Jim Kaler was quoted on Life’s Little Mysteries, summarized as “an effect of optical refraction”. But as they themselves quoted other experts, this does not seem like anything seen before. That is, “sun dogs, sunset mirages, sun pillars and sun halos are all relatively common and well understood. But not this effect”.

Basically they are symmetric and appear some degrees apart from the Sun. They may be partially obstructed, and thus not appear very symmetric, but not like the Chinese double-sun.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2011, 04:38:10 AM »
lol.  Looks like boobs

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 04, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
The multiple cascades of Iguazu Falls, one of the most spectacular and intricate waterfalls in the world, slip off a basalt escarpment on the Iguazu River, along a border shared by Argentina and Brazil. Iguazu’s cascades stretch along a subtropical ridge for about 1.7 miles (2.7 kilometers), most thunderously at a cleft called the Devil’s Throat. The falls in places are 260 feet (80 m) high and are broken into an estimated 275 streams.

http://epod.usra.edu/.a/6a0105371bb32c970b014e86f63217970d-pi
- chunkles