Author Topic: we are an immoral nation and i'm too comfortable and apathetic to do anything ab  (Read 106242 times)

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
"ARBEIT MACHT FRIE" - Barack Obama

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
What is the difficulty in allocating the correct resources to handle immigration in the way that it's being attempted in real life?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Just another reminder that getting your news by tweet from a biased journalist is not very reliable.

You must be appalled at how much Fox News does this.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Wait, how did DC cat not know if there was an Obama mural?  :lol:

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
I mean that you believe Mexicans should be able to cross the border

yes.

and do whatever they want without having to go through any formal immigration procedures.

no.

I’m sure you know what our country has settled on in this issue and would maybe like to see a different approach.  If enough of your fellow citizens feel the way you do perhaps the representatives you elect will change the law.  10 years ago there was an opportunity to make a change like this but it was not pursued, maybe because even though it could have been done it would have been against the will of the people and they thought better of it.

i don't think there was any opportunity to pursue meaningfully more open borders 10 years ago and i don't think there is likely to be in the near to medium-term future.

In the political window that brought us the aca anything that the Dems really wanted was possible.
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Same people who signed the petition to ban water?

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/21/trump-obama-detention-center/

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
What is the difficulty in allocating the correct resources to handle immigration in the way that it's being attempted in real life?

federal hiring is byzantine, it would take an eternity to hire dozens of judges and public defenders even if there was financing and the will.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

federal hiring is byzantine, it would take an eternity to hire dozens of judges and public defenders even if there was financing and the will.

I don't know anything about the subject.  I guess I'm questioning why a modern immigration process designed to handle people coming from the south would require more judges and public defenders as opposed to more processing or administrative type of workers, and maybe a lot more facilities and infrastructure at or maybe across the border to help streamline the process. 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile

I don't know anything about the subject.  I guess I'm questioning why a modern immigration process designed to handle people coming from the south would require more judges and public defenders as opposed to more processing or administrative type of workers, and maybe a lot more facilities and infrastructure at or maybe across the border to help streamline the process.

there are probably a few embassies and consulates between panama and el paso with the requisite papers on hand, but a lot of people feel that it is oppression to ask someone to fill out visa/citizenship/asylum applications before they are inside the country and have a federal public defender to do it for them.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
there are probably a few embassies and consulates between panama and el paso with the requisite papers on hand, but a lot of people feel that it is oppression to ask someone to fill out visa/citizenship/asylum applications before they are inside the country and have a federal public defender to do it for them.

ignorance = a choice.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’m not aware that the US process asylum applications from folks not on US soil. And the visa laws typically require you to either be a student or employed. Of course either of those could be fixed if you wanted fewer illegal border crossings but really most Republicans right now just seem to want fewer brown people.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
As the narrative progresses, I appreciate the "concentration camp" narrative (that just started of course) while viewing pictures of poor little kids being herded through ICE facilities in rows of 12 foot high fences with razor wire on top . . . in 2014.

The evolution of ICE detainment facilities from detainment facility to "concentration camp" is approximately 4 years, apparently.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
It’s ok to quit defending this now. Trump kinda quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not defending.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile

Not defending.

Yeah he’s just replying to non-Trump supporters from sun up to sun down for days to let everyone know there is some hypocrisy here. How could you even conclude anything else Steve Dave?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
I conclude tons of things else sometimes. I’m a conclude master

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’m not aware that the US process asylum applications from folks not on US soil. And the visa laws typically require you to either be a student or employed. Of course either of those could be fixed if you wanted fewer illegal border crossings but really most Republicans right now just seem to want fewer brown people.

i googled the issue after bubbles posted, because i didn't know the answer and didn't wish to choose to remain ignorant.  a foreign national can apply for refugee status on foreign soil or seek asylum in us territory.  other than the different names, the status is about the same (and very annoyingly, if you're trying to google it, often used interchangeably).

the us sets a cap on how many refugees they allow into the country each year, and they do so by region.  by treaty, they must provide an asylum hearing to any asylum seeker.  the cap for refugees from central america was 4-5k/year during the last few years of obama and 2017, for 2018, trump's administration reduced that to 1.5k.  in 2015, obama's administration instituted a program to try and shunt minors (and later, also some family members of minors) into a program to provide expedited processing of refugee status rather than have those minors show up on the border seeking asylum.  this didn't increase the number of refugees, it was just supposed to prioritize minors that met the criteria and expedite their processing.  at any rate it didn't work terribly well but was chewing through most of the refugee slots by the end of 2016.  trump ended the program in 2017.

so basically, that's (probably, mostly) why people don't apply for refugee status at us embassies instead of making what by all accounts is a brutal and dangerous trip across central america and mexico to show up and petition for asylum at the border.  there is far more demand than there are slots available.

oh, and if you're wondering why they're choosing to seek asylum in the us, when we obviously hate them, rest assured most people fleeing honduras, guatemala and el salvador are choosing to seek asylum elsewhere.  there's just a lot of them leaving.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Thanks, sys. I hadn’t given any though to the distinction between asylum and refuge before I posted.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
no problem.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd