Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106366 times)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2016, 11:10:04 AM »
this stat right here sums up our season
Alex Barnes   27   210   7.8   27   
Jesse Ertz   109   192   1165   56.8   6.07

bolded is yards per carry vs yards vs attempt

_FAN made the point about them turning Ertz into Klein. The guy was a passer in a spread offense when he came here, he's now essentially a wishbone quarterback.
and i think he is (or could be) a very good runner, we have talked about this. I'm just not sure why we need him to throw if we have ball carriers rushing for more yards on average than he throws for on average.

He's slowly but surely getting better at throwing the ball down field, now the receivers at least have a shot at catching them. I thought this game was his worst at throwing short and intermediate routes. Also people are going to be pissed but I think he's the starter until he leaves, barring injury, no matter the staff in place.
i guess you could be right, injuries aside i could see that. i do however doubt that actually happens

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2016, 11:31:15 AM »
The guy was a passer in a spread offense when he came here

This is so hard to believe given his arm

High school football is a whole lot slower than college ball.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
this stat right here sums up our season
Alex Barnes   27   210   7.8   27   
Jesse Ertz   109   192   1165   56.8   6.07

bolded is yards per carry vs yards vs attempt

_FAN made the point about them turning Ertz into Klein. The guy was a passer in a spread offense when he came here, he's now essentially a wishbone quarterback.

His throwing will improve (like Klein's) and I don't think his shoulder being dinged helps.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2016, 12:20:05 PM »
Fine, I'll revise it to: not finding some way in which to utilize Delton. Using him instead of the PringleCat is an obvious place to start. I do think Ertz has been pretty good, but my god...his passing is BARELY up to D-1 standards right now. Assuming he's still sketti arm'd or something because he floats noodle-armed moonballs to guys who are 15 yards downfield. His "long bombs" and even his "medium bombs" against Okie State legitimately cost us points numerous times, because instead of leading our receivers when they had their coverage beat downfield, he threw behind the receivers and they subsequently had to slow down to make the catch and were ultimately tackled.

That being said, there are other threads for whining about QBs, so I'll get it back on track:

--In the entirety of last season and to some degree before it, our defensive backs would routinely give 8 yards of cushion on 3rd and 6. Or 10 yards of cushion on 3rd and 8. Or 5 yards on 3rd and 3. This could be on the players for not having an awareness of where the first down marker is, or it could be on the coaches calling the coverages. Either way, it happened so often that it clearly falls on the coaches to make better decisions about either coverages or personnel who can know where the first down marker is.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
i strongly feel that D1 coordinators should know where the 1st down marker is......... :facepalm:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »
Ertz is hurt, that's why he can't throw.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2016, 03:03:36 PM »
He's been hurt all season?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2016, 03:10:11 PM »
Who can tell me of one of our starting QB's that made it thru a whole season without a shoulder injury?  eff I already know the answer, no one!  :curse:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »
Last year, when it was fourth and one against TCU, the rumor was that Snyder called TO to talk about whether to go for it, that Snyder was inclined to go for it, and that he asked Dimel if he had a good play for the situation, and that Dimel responded "no" (over the protestations of Andre Coleman).

I wonder if something like that happened again on Saturday.  Anybody hear anything?  In the press conference this Saturday, Snyder gave an extremely weird answer to the question of why he didn't go for it.  It almost seemed like Snyder was about ready to start crying, and he was so frustrated that he started tapping his hand on the podium.  I wonder if Snyder was pissed that Dimel didn't have a play ready to go (perhaps also pissed about the 3 and 1 call), but that Snyder was boxed in from talking about the situation because of his loyalty to his assistants.

Perhaps Snyder is as frustrated with Dimel and Hayes as is everybody else, and  he is conflicted about firing his assistant coaches but on the other hand does not want to go out like this.

:dunno:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »
Someone needs to pull Bill aside and make him watch Scarface and hope he doesn't fall asleep before the ending.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2016, 03:59:04 PM »
Last year, when it was fourth and one against TCU, the rumor was that Snyder called TO to talk about whether to go for it, that Snyder was inclined to go for it, and that he asked Dimel if he had a good play for the situation, and that Dimel responded "no" (over the protestations of Andre Coleman).

I wonder if something like that happened again on Saturday.  Anybody hear anything?  In the press conference this Saturday, Snyder gave an extremely weird answer to the question of why he didn't go for it.  It almost seemed like Snyder was about ready to start crying, and he was so frustrated that he started tapping his hand on the podium. I wonder if Snyder was pissed that Dimel didn't have a play ready to go (perhaps also pissed about the 3 and 1 call), but that Snyder was boxed in from talking about the situation because of his loyalty to his assistants.

Perhaps Snyder is as frustrated with Dimel and Hayes as is everybody else, and  he is conflicted about firing his assistant coaches but on the other hand does not want to go out like this.

Yeah.  Definitely had to be one of those two situations that got him pissed off.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »
I just want our players to play well and our coaches to coach well.. Is that too much to ask for??

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »

I wonder if something like that happened again on Saturday.  Anybody hear anything?  In the press conference this Saturday, Snyder gave an extremely weird answer to the question of why he didn't go for it.  It almost seemed like Snyder was about ready to start crying, and he was so frustrated that he started tapping his hand on the podium. I wonder if Snyder was pissed that Dimel didn't have a play ready to go (perhaps also pissed about the 3 and 1 call), but that Snyder was boxed in from talking about the situation because of his loyalty to his assistants.

Yeah.  Definitely had to be one of those two situations that got him pissed off.

I didn't say it had to be one of those that got him pissed off...I just threw that out there as a possibility.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »

Since OU AT least

Did he go to the locker room against Stanford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »
For better or worse, I shape the lives of America's youth one math class at a time, so I'm not always able to stay current with what's been posted on the board...forgive me if this is a total repeat.  A theory:

Bill, John and BV have already worked out a deal to make BV the head coach in waiting next year as well as DC.  This would have been done sooner, but BV wanted to give himself the opportunity to be a coach on a NC team, which another year of DeShaun Watson potentially gives him this year.  This would explain why Hayes was brought back despite evidence suggesting he wanted to retire after last year.  BV will take over the D next year, bring with him an offensive mind capable of putting together a game plan that doesn't completely boggle the mind, and Bill will ride off into the sunset with a team capable of making some noise nationally next year.

Holes:  John Currie may not be capable of actually pulling this off.  Bill may be too delusional/egotistical/old to realize it's time to call it a day.  BV gets an offer he can't refuse from somewhere else.

What else am I missing?

Realizing that we're K-State and this is just a pipe-dream and all it ever will be. I believe Venables could be the coach that can take us to the next level, but there are too many fans that are okay and happy with mediocrity.

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
In NCAA 2014 I never punt.

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2016, 12:11:14 AM »
For better or worse, I shape the lives of America's youth one math class at a time, so I'm not always able to stay current with what's been posted on the board...forgive me if this is a total repeat.  A theory:

Bill, John and BV have already worked out a deal to make BV the head coach in waiting next year as well as DC.  This would have been done sooner, but BV wanted to give himself the opportunity to be a coach on a NC team, which another year of DeShaun Watson potentially gives him this year.  This would explain why Hayes was brought back despite evidence suggesting he wanted to retire after last year.  BV will take over the D next year, bring with him an offensive mind capable of putting together a game plan that doesn't completely boggle the mind, and Bill will ride off into the sunset with a team capable of making some noise nationally next year.

Holes:  John Currie may not be capable of actually pulling this off.  Bill may be too delusional/egotistical/old to realize it's time to call it a day.  BV gets an offer he can't refuse from somewhere else.

What else am I missing?

BV already had the chance to be on a NC team, 2000 OU.  That wasn't the reason why he isn't here as coach in waiting, because there is no coach in waiting status. 

Damn!  He trippin' so hard fans are gonna think he done fell off!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2016, 05:37:06 AM »

Since OU AT least

Did he go to the locker room against Stanford?

Sure did

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2016, 11:56:08 AM »
Fitz bringing the hammer over at GoPowercat.com

KEY NO. 1: SCHEME FOR PRESSURE

Trying to keep Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph uncomfortable in the pocket was the key and the results are clearly stated in the postgame statistics. K-State had just one sack of Rudolph, who completed 29 of 38 passes for 457 yards and five touchdowns. The idea of sitting back in zone is not only failing miserably, but doing so in epic fashion.

POSTGAME GRADE: F

KEY NO. 2: POUND THE ROCK

K-State averaged 6.2 yards per carry on 56 rushes. It totaled 345 rushing yards, which should be good enough to win the game, but it wasn't. Why? Because on a fourth down in the fourth quarter, LHC Bill Snyder lacked the faith that his running game could pick up a single yard. The message was clear to everyone involved: K-State can run the ball — freshman Alex Barnes is a dominant force in the backfield when he's allowed to play — but the coaches don't have enough belief in the running game to trust it.

POSTGAME GRADE: C

KEY NO. 3: FIX SPECIAL TEAMS

K-State's special teams remain a shadow of their former self. Sure, the return game was solid, but an injury to kicker Matthew McCrane put Ian Patterson in a position to kick extra points and field goals. Patterson missed his first PAT, leaving K-State a point behind on the scoreboard all day. He did line drive a 43-yard field goal through the uprights, but it didn't build any trust in Patterson's ability. So, facing a fourth-and-4 at the OSU 10 early in the third quarter, instead of trying a 27-yard field goal, the K-State coaches called for a fake field goal. Holder Mitch Lochbihler, a punter, took the snap and was tackled for no gain. It was a baffling call because it fooled no one and put the ball in the hands of a punter to run the ball.

POSTGAME GRADE: D

KEY NO. 4: STAY THE COURSE, COACHES

K-State didn't attack on defense, instead it sat back in soft coverage and was ravaged.

Offensively, the coaches appeared to get bored with running the ball, even after a game-opening 11-play drive of all runs covered 75 yards for a touchdown.

And then there was that memorable fourth-and-1 punt that decided the game.

K-State's coaching advantage is clearly gone.

POSTGAME GRADE: F

FINAL ANALYSIS

This isn't a great K-State team, but this was a game it should have won. But the players didn't fail. The coaches failed them.

FITZ'S PREDICTION: KANSAS STATE 31, OKLAHOMA STATE 30

ACTUAL FINAL SCORE: OKLAHOMA STATE 43, KANSAS STATE 37

FITZ'S POSTGAME GRADE: D

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
Fitz was spot-on there, actually
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
Yep, dead on. Again I'll state if McCrane was out because of injury he clearly did not agree. And if he was unavailable I have no idea why the coaches allowed him to fully dress out, helmet and all.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
Good stuff from Fitz.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile