Author Topic: Sean is not head coach material  (Read 20094 times)

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sean is not head coach material
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
Didn't mangino get fired from Iowa state?

Yes, by Paul Rhoades, who was also fired a month later.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
Sean is the same age Bill was when we hired him. What if we can recapture that lightning?

Bill had spent several years coaching at several places in California and Texas, then spent a decade as OC at Iowa prior to becoming HC at KSU. Sean has spent about 20 years as director of football operations at KSU, and the last six years or so as special teams coordinator. In order to recapture his dad's lightning, Sean would need to gain a ton of experience overnight without actually doing the kinds of things required to gain that experience.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2017, 02:46:49 PM »

Yes, he was an absolute disaster. I would be 100% out on any staff with Mark Mangino as anything but an adviser or something. Dude has been sitting on a beach tweeting for two years.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »
he was literally bred for this.  we'd have a thoroughbred racing against hill ponies.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2017, 07:18:28 PM »

Yes, he was an absolute disaster. I would be 100% out on any staff with Mark Mangino as anything but an adviser or something. Dude has been sitting on a beach tweeting for two years.

I don't care what you have to say about him, Mangino looks like an absolute god among men for being able to get a winning season out of KU.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
Yeah, I like  a coach who GAF and has passion. Seems like this fanbase liked that for a long time in the other sport. Nothing to see here minus Sean grabbing me by the balls and taint.  :love:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
I do enjoy the idea I've read elsewhere that Sean should replace Dimel as OC after this season. :lol:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
I think maybe it was Tech game where I saw Sean lay into a guy right after a good punt return for not running up field and finding someone to block.  Sean is extremely technique and "play to the whistle" driven, which is why we have had so much success in Special Teams.  I can't say he knows offense very well, but I would love to see him in an OC seat for a year.  If Bill stays another year, I hope this happens.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »
IMO Sean as OC would be a disaster. Every former player I've ever talked to has said his football knowledge is suspect outside of special teams. He would have to have a group of great position coaches and frankly those guys would have to call much of the offense.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
It's hard to believe he's spent his whole football career with Bill and not learned anything about the game.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »
It's hard to believe he's spent his whole football career with Bill and not learned anything about the game.

First, his focus has always been special teams and specialty positions, plus all of the administrative stuff. Certainly he's learned some things about offense/defense, but he has never focused on an offensive or defensive position, let along entire schemes. Second, a large part of my opinion on this largely is based on what I've been told by several former players.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
I'd like to know why Bill truly believes Sean is fit for the job

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »

First, his focus has always been special teams and specialty positions, plus all of the administrative stuff. Certainly he's learned some things about offense/defense, but he has never focused on an offensive or defensive position, let along entire schemes. Second, a large part of my opinion on this largely is based on what I've been told by several former players.

Sean could not be worse than Dimel.  Our current offense is devoid of the creativity seen in offenses around the country, and i'm not talking about no-huddle, throw it all over the field stuff.  Our offense is stale and predictable and i would be shocked if Bill was not aware of it.  I'm sure Sean reminds him every Sunday. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »
I do enjoy the idea I've read elsewhere that Sean should replace Dimel as OC after this season. :lol:

I wouldn’t be excited about it, but this is obviously what Bill should have done years ago if he was serious about Sean taking over. Maybe he already tried and Sean just said no thanks.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 09:42:20 AM »
He might be more qualified to be KSU's HC than its OC.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »

In terms of CEO style, I can see that.

But in terms of the normal route (i.e. GA, position coach, and offensive/defense coordinator position), he doesn't meet the basic criteria.

Offline KSURFC8

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »
Stoops and mangino are available.  As well as Bert and Bennett after the last round of firings.  (Arkansas and Arizona St.). :dunno:

You (and a couple of others apparently) missed my point. HCBS brought with him or hired people he knew to fill critical positions here at KSU. Who are those same types of people that Sean would know or could bring in? Almost his entire "coaching" life has been in and around KSU. IMO, his ability to hire the same caliber of people that his dad did when he arrived here, is severely limited. So again, unless he's willing to basically, not totally, work with what's left to him, he'll be handicapped from the outset. Not something I'd like to see. For him but more importantly for us.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill/George Orwell

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »
Sean would need to assemble a solid staff.  I do not believe he could do that. I need to believe he could before I would support the hire in anyway.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »

But in terms of the normal route (i.e. GA, position coach, and offensive/defense coordinator position), he doesn't meet the basic criteria.

We're not talking about normal here.

Offline KSURFC8

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »

"Abby Normal" Greatest comedy ever! Might actually more applicable than we'd like to admit.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill/George Orwell

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
Sean would need to assemble a solid staff.  I do not believe he could do that. I need to believe he could before I would support the hire in anyway.

This.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »

I'm aware, but I was just giving my thoughts.  I'm just more concerned about his ability to have a solid staff.  Do I have confidence he will?  Probably not.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »

I don't understand why people isolate this to just Sean, this is the case for anyone who takes this job. None of the usually mentioned potential candidates are coming with a staff. Sean, Venables, and the Muppet are all coming with serious warts and they're going to have to grind a little bit to put together a staff.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:19 AM »

I don't understand why people isolate this to just Sean, this is the case for anyone who takes this job. None of the usually mentioned potential candidates are coming with a staff. Sean, Venables, and the Muppet are all coming with serious warts and they're going to have to grind a little bit to put together a staff.

to be fair, you aren't trying very hard to understand why people think it's a bigger issue with Sean than others.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »

to be fair, you aren't trying very hard to understand why people think it's a bigger issue with Sean than others.

:D