Author Topic: Sean is not head coach material  (Read 20340 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Sean is not head coach material
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »
would anyone expect his defense to have gotten worse yoy?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
All the reasons others have said re: Sean coaching hires.  He doesn't have experience outside of the program to make a lot of connections.  The nepotism look may scare some hires away.  If we hired Venables for example, I would be most interested in his OC hire as that is not his expertise.  Wouldn't be worried about defense.  With Sean, I would worry about offense and defense but not special teams. 

Maybe the biggest thing unsaid in this thread is that Sean isn't particularly qualified for the job anyways.  Assembling his staff would be his first major decisions as head coach.  Already being on the fence, I would want to see a lot of success there to convince me that he is the best coach for the job and not the coach I fear he is.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think "qualifies" someone to be a HC?  Success as a coordinator?  Being an assistant head coach?  Jumping from job to job thereby expanding your "circle"?  Honest question here.
You don’t have to jump from job to job a lot but you do have to work for someone other than your dad and Ron Prince.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2017, 04:27:05 PM »
All the reasons others have said re: Sean coaching hires.  He doesn't have experience outside of the program to make a lot of connections.  The nepotism look may scare some hires away.  If we hired Venables for example, I would be most interested in his OC hire as that is not his expertise.  Wouldn't be worried about defense.  With Sean, I would worry about offense and defense but not special teams. 

Maybe the biggest thing unsaid in this thread is that Sean isn't particularly qualified for the job anyways.  Assembling his staff would be his first major decisions as head coach.  Already being on the fence, I would want to see a lot of success there to convince me that he is the best coach for the job and not the coach I fear he is.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think "qualifies" someone to be a HC?  Success as a coordinator?  Being an assistant head coach?  Jumping from job to job thereby expanding your "circle"?  Honest question here.
You don’t have to jump from job to job a lot but you do have to work for someone other than your dad and Ron Prince.

So just to clarify, you are saying Sean is not particularly qualified because the only person he's coached under is 20+ years under one of the best college coaches of all time?  Or because he's related to said coach?

This is what drives me a little crazy, and i'm not advocating for Sean here...quite honestly i threw up in my mouth the first time him taking over was mentioned...but if a person worked as a very successful coordinator and assistant head coach for Nick Saban or Urban Meyer for 25 years, i can't imagine a person on earth would say they weren't qualified to be a head coach.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2017, 04:31:33 PM »
Name me the Special Teams coordinator for Saban or Meyer that immediately got a HC job.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
Name me the Special Teams coordinator for Saban or Meyer that immediately got a HC job.

Now we are getting somewhere.  You are saying he isn't qualified because he was the ST coordinator....vs OC or DC i would assume?  So if his name was still Sean Snyder and he'd been a very successful OC for the fighting wildcats for the past 10 years, you would then say he was qualified to be a (our) HC?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
I love Bill but get out of here with the Saban / Meyer comparisons. 

He's more comparable to Frank Beamer or Barry Alvarez and that's being slightly generous.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2017, 04:37:48 PM »
Sean hasn't coached 20+ years.

Also Dabo Swinney wasn't an offensive or defensive coordinator!!!

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
I love Bill but get out of here with the Saban / Meyer comparisons. 

He's more comparable to Frank Beamer or Barry Alvarez and that's being slightly generous.

I am assuming you are too young to appreciate the magnitude of what Bill accomplished.  It's arguably much more than Saban and Meyer combined.  The fact that you would compare his accomplishments to Beamer and Alvarez "being generous" tells me all i need to know.  I'm not going to win this argument so i will tap out.  My whole point was why people don't think Sean is qualified.  Again, i'm not saying i want him as our HC but i struggle to make an argument that BV is qualified but SS is not.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
arguing for BV over SS is like the easiest thing in the world, unless you think all coaches with no HC experience are equal.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
Sean would be more qualified as an OC/DC. I would still prefer he coach somewhere else. It’s not just about making connections with other potential staff members, but learning from different coaching philosophies. In any career people generally benefit from switching jobs and learning from different mentors.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »

Honestly I don’t know the names of any coordinators (other than ours) until they are mentioned as a HC candidate.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »
arguing for BV over SS is like the easiest thing in the world, unless you think all coaches with no HC experience are equal.

I'm all ears.  Also, why is BV still a coordinator?  That's always bothered me.  I employed his brother in law at a company i invested in but he seemed as mystified as myself.  Given his success, you'd think he'd have taken a HC job assuming he was offered.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »

I'm all ears.  Also, why is BV still a coordinator?  That's always bothered me.  I employed his brother in law at a company i invested in but he seemed as mystified as myself.  Given his success, you'd think he'd have taken a HC job assuming he was offered.

well to start BV's been a DC at two places that won national titles. He's also an elite recruiter (even accounting for the fact that he's been at Clemson and OU): https://n.rivals.com/news/venables-named-rivals-recruiter-of-the-year

l don't really think I need to add much more. :dunno:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2017, 05:06:19 PM »
what Bill accomplished.  It's arguably much more than Saban and Meyer combined.

my god.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
I just want Bill to leave and we quickly hire someone so this incredibly worn out debate can finally end. I think I've now reached my limit of reading, typing, and saying the same crap repackaged 75 different ways.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
I just want Bill to leave and we quickly hire someone so this incredibly worn out debate can finally end. I think I've now reached my limit of reading, typing, and saying the same crap repackaged 75 different ways.

I've not had the debate so this is all new to me.  It's a very difficult debate to have with persons that don't appreciate the magnitude of what Bill has done here at KState.  I can understand now why there are so many posters on goEMAW that castigate him.  He's not above questioning but he's close  :)

Online GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Fit for the UT VOLS Jobe if you ask me. Perfect fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
Currie doesn't deserve him, Greg.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »

I've not had the debate so this is all new to me.  It's a very difficult debate to have with persons that don't appreciate the magnitude of what Bill has done here at KState.  I can understand now why there are so many posters on goEMAW that castigate him.  He's not above questioning but he's close  :)
The nail was hit on the head earlier.  A special teams coordinator, hell, even Saban's or Meyer's special teams coordinator, should not be promoted to head coach.  While he's done a great job, Sean hasn't proven anything except that he can do some good things with a return game.  Tim Tibesar did some good things with the return game, then immediately flopped when he was promoted to a position with more responsibility.

I want someone who has had success at managing a unit that's on the field more than 10 times a game.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Maccat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
Bill's whole contention is that Sean has been running the show since the '15 season.  We have underwhelmed since then.  So when we get Sean, and Bill is gone and out of the picture, we are going to be even more underwhelming.  Which brings up the question when we fire Sean do we remove "Family" from the stadium name.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
I appreciate the magnitude of what Bill has done just fine.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2017, 07:53:35 PM »
I think I've now reached my limit of reading, typing, and saying the same crap repackaged 75 different ways.

Feel free to stop.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »

The nail was hit on the head earlier.  A special teams coordinator, hell, even Saban's or Meyer's special teams coordinator, should not be promoted to head coach.  While he's done a great job, Sean hasn't proven anything except that he can do some good things with a return game.  Tim Tibesar did some good things with the return game, then immediately flopped when he was promoted to a position with more responsibility.

I want someone who has had success at managing a unit that's on the field more than 10 times a game.

Jesus Christ, this. How do so many of our tuckiest fans not realize that being a successful Special Teams OC is undoubtedly WAAAAAAY easier -- and carries significantly less weight -- than being a successful OC or DC?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »

Jesus Christ, this. How do so many of our tuckiest fans not realize that being a successful Special Teams OC is undoubtedly WAAAAAAY easier -- and carries significantly less weight -- than being a successful OC or DC?

Well the discussion isn't necessarily which job is "easier"...my question was what qualifies a person to be a "good" head coach/head coach hire?  Is it your position that to be a good head coach a person has to have been a successful OC or DC?  Does being an "assistant head coach" carry any weight?  Director of football operations?  recruiting coordinator?  or is it just being a successful OC or DC? 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »

Well the discussion isn't necessarily which job is "easier"...my question was what qualifies a person to be a "good" head coach/head coach hire?  Is it your position that to be a good head coach a person has to have been a successful OC or DC?  Does being an "assistant head coach" carry any weight?  Director of football operations?  recruiting coordinator?  or is it just being a successful OC or DC?
Yes.  Being at least a DC or OC is requisite experience. 

Being an "assistant head coach" carries zero accountability.  Nobody has ever called for the "Assistant head coach" or "director of football operations" to be fired or receive a raise because nobody cares about them.  Coordinate an important unit, put your balls on the line, and prove your worth.   Sean has had the chance to prove himself in a position of accountability at any time over the last 20 years.  He hasn't done that. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]