Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 106049 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #550 on: November 11, 2017, 05:03:40 PM »
It was as absurd a sequence as I've seen since Marshall decided to throw the ball at the end of the game when we played in Huntington that one time.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 11, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
After scoring 20 points in the first half after getting FOUR TURNOVERS, and then scoring a whole zero points in the third quarter, I’m almost glad we’re about to kick a FG here to bring it to 23-28. It saves me the seizure I would inevitably have had when, after our hypothetical TD,  our coaches would have kicked the PAT to bring it to 27-28 rather than go for 2 to tie the game.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

The Big Train

« Reply #552 on: November 11, 2017, 06:55:59 PM »
That sequence to end the first half was the worst display of coaching I think I’ve ever seen.  SkiBen did a really good job of explaining it.  Like, if we’re gonna go and try and score, then just rough ridin' do it.

I thought after that first play we would just let the clock run out.  When we threw that horrendous screen pass there actually wasn’t a whole lot of emotion at the game.  Everyone was just kind of like WTF?  Then the TD everyone just kind of was like whatever. 

Absolutely rough ridin' garbage.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 11, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
Okay, so for posterity's sake, here's what just happened.

K-State is down 21-20 right at the end of the first half. We scored our previous TD with about 1:30 left in the half or so; kinda worrisome because they have shown a propensity to score fast. But NOPE! Our D comes up with its 4th turnover of the game with ~:45 left in the half! Holy crap, we're down one with nearly a minute and two timeouts left, and we have the ball at about our own 40 yard-line! What will we do??? Will we...A) Throw a few 8-10 yard outs, call time out, and kick a field goal right before half, B) play it safe and sit on it, content to take it to the lockerroom down one?  C) Do a weird hybrid where we simultaneously do both and neither, and end up with a dogshit result/?

If you said C, you are CORRECT!

Here's how it played out.

On 1st and 10 from our own 40, with 2TO left, we get sacked. Okay, fine, it happens. We should probably call one of our two timeouts so we can stop the clock, right? Nope, it seems since it's now 2nd and 14 from our own 36, we're just gonna let the clock run out. Okay, that works.

HEY WAIT, WE RAN ~25 SECONDS OFF THE CLOCK AND THEN DECIDED TO RUN A PLAY WITH LIKE 15 SECONDS LEFT? WHY???? Well, at least we're going to throw it downfield, right? Nope. Instead, we throw a.....screen pass?!? Oh and btw it got intercepted with 10 seconds left.

Ensuing play from scrimmage....10 seconds left, Will Grier eludes our laughable pass rush a la Bish vs. Ohio U., and then...well...a wide open WVU receiver catches it in the end zone.

Instead of us going up 23-21 or maybe even 27-21 right before half, our shitty, indecisive coaches, amidst a chorus of boos, led the team into the lockerroom down 28-20.

And we have to kickoff when we come out in the 3rd quarter.

Chip Kelly and the halftime crew were basically LOL'n at our shitty-ass coaches.

Great posts by you, whisker biscuit, and catastrophe. That sequence doesn't happen with a head coach and offensive coaching staff that's cool, organized, and in control. I can't imagine the chaos happening in the head sets after we got that fumble.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 11, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »
I know it's nitpicky but, why didn't we call our last timeout at the end of the game and make them snap the ball again? They don't take many snaps under center and it was raining.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: November 11, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

K-State is down 21-20 right at the end of the first half. We scored our previous TD with about 1:30 left in the half or so; kinda worrisome because they have shown a propensity to score fast. But NOPE! Our D comes up with its 4th turnover of the game with ~:45 left in the half! Holy crap, we're down one with nearly a minute and two timeouts left, and we have the ball at about our own 40 yard-line! What will we do??? Will we...A) Throw a few 8-10 yard outs, call time out, and kick a field goal right before half, B) play it safe and sit on it, content to take it to the lockerroom down one?  C) Do a weird hybrid where we simultaneously do both and neither, and end up with a dogshit result/?

On 1st and 10 from our own 40, with 2TO left, we get sacked. Okay, fine, it happens. We should probably call one of our two timeouts so we can stop the clock, right? Nope, it seems since it's now 2nd and 14 from our own 36, we're just gonna let the clock run out. Okay, that works.

HEY WAIT, WE RAN ~25 SECONDS OFF THE CLOCK AND THEN DECIDED TO RUN A PLAY WITH LIKE 15 SECONDS LEFT? WHY???? Well, at least we're going to throw it downfield, right? Nope. Instead, we throw a.....screen pass?!? Oh and btw it got intercepted with 10 seconds left.

Ensuing play from scrimmage....10 seconds left, Will Grier eludes our laughable pass rush a la Bish vs. Ohio U., and then...well...a wide open WVU receiver catches it in the end zone.

Instead of us going up 23-21 or maybe even 27-21 right before half, our shitty, indecisive coaches, amidst a chorus of boos, led the team into the lockerroom down 28-20.

Chip Kelly and the halftime crew were basically LOL'n at our shitty-ass coaches.

Since it's for posterity's sake, I thought we ran the ball with Warmack on 1st and 10 (instead of being sacked on a pass play).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 11, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
That's correct

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 11, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »
I know it's nitpicky but, why didn't we call our last timeout at the end of the game and make them snap the ball again? They don't take many snaps under center and it was raining.

Same thing occurred to me but I was also like, Dana knows Bill won’t call a timeout because he’s too classy. I know that’s not a great reason, but my backup is that the refs already dragged it out way too much at the end and I’m guessing the stadium was empty at that point.

The Big Train

Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #558 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:01 PM »

Same thing occurred to me but I was also like, Dana knows Bill won’t call a timeout because he’s too classy. I know that’s not a great reason, but my backup is that the refs already dragged it out way too much at the end and I’m guessing the stadium was empty at that point.

I was talking about this also with some buds after the game.  Pretty telling where this program is just throwing in the towel like that.  Bill says never quit but that’s rough ridin' quitting IMO.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 11, 2017, 07:55:35 PM »

Since it's for posterity's sake, I thought we ran the ball with Warmack on 1st and 10 (instead of being sacked on a pass play).

You’re absolutely right, thanks. Somehow I had forgotten that. In fact it makes the screen pass even more WTF’y, if you think about it. So we hand the ball off with 40 seconds rather than try to throw and strike downfield. Clearly gonna just run out the clock if we’re calling run plays. Nope! Better throw a weird screen to the coach’s son with 15 seconds left so we can officially make this the most inept exhibition of clock management yet so far this season.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »
It would still have been a huge bonehead call had Warmack been the target.  But the fact that it was Dimel screams "i've decided to play it safe and run clock...i'll get my kid some garbagy stats on this last play"   I mean, what else can it be?  It would likely have been the final play of the half had it been caught.  What else was the rough ridin' point?  I think this play cost us the game...i really do.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 11, 2017, 08:08:42 PM »
Here’s the thing everyone is going to be subjected to, though not everyone will accept...we aren’t going to be “good” again for a very long time.  I won’t say “never again,” but it won’t be for another near decade. 

I doubt Bill retires.  I bet he thinks he can somehow go out a winner next year, like he hoped he could this year...but he will go out a loser, and will have neglected recruiting for yet another year.

New program comes in, takes them 4-5 years to get their system going, and then it’s long odds against them being above average in the conference.  The most likely upside scenario being that they are a .500 in the conference type program (though that’s still not probable).

To sum up, I’d bet we don’t have another 9 win season for 10 years.

The Big Train

« Reply #562 on: November 11, 2017, 08:11:15 PM »
Well this blog only has like 2 years left max so you won’t have the “I told you so” posts, Pete.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 11, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »
Here’s the thing everyone is going to be subjected to, though not everyone will accept...we aren’t going to be “good” again for a very long time.  I won’t say “never again,” but it won’t be for another near decade. 

I doubt Bill retires.  I bet he thinks he can somehow go out a winner next year, like he hoped he could this year...but he will go out a loser, and will have neglected recruiting for yet another year.

New program comes in, takes them 4-5 years to get their system going, and then it’s long odds against them being above average in the conference.  The most likely upside scenario being that they are a .500 in the conference type program (though that’s still not probable).

The only reason you have any idea what a 9 win season even feels like is because of one man...LHC Bill Snyder.  Call me a tuck or whatever you want, but he's earned the right to go out however the eff he wants.  I'll deal with these frustrating loses for as long as he wants to subject me to them. 

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 11, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »
The only reason you have any idea what a 9 win season even feels like is because of one man...LHC Bill Snyder.  Call me a tuck or whatever you want, but he's earned the right to go out however the eff he wants.  I'll deal with these frustrating loses for as long as he wants to subject me to them.

that's such a loser mentality. you should demand more from these guys.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 11, 2017, 08:19:50 PM »

Fine. Sure.  But, that changes nothing about what I posted.  Heck, I agree with you.  We are still going to suck for the foreseeable future tho.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 11, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »

that's such a loser mentality. you should demand more from these guys.

LOL, we don’t and we won’t.  We have rough ridin' oscar Weber, and did you not see our god damn AD hire?  LOL

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 11, 2017, 08:22:22 PM »
Loving LHC Bill Snyder and knowing he will run the program into the ground is what we do!  We have done it before and we will do it again.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 11, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »
it's gotta be the cancer. really mumped with his 94 year old brain.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »
This is how mumped up K-State is...the second best thing that has happened to us is John Currie, because of our facilities that would never have happened without him.

Yet, Currie personally destroyed the third best thing that has happened to us, which was the rebirth of basketball.

And our best thing is running his own program into the ground, again, because of his fear of firing staff and getting to know new staff.

THAT IS K-STATE!

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #570 on: November 11, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »
I believe more than one coach can be successful at KSU.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 11, 2017, 08:28:39 PM »
I believe more than one coach can be successful at KSU.

Sure. I do too.  But, you know better than I do how daunting the math is on that happening within the next decade.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #572 on: November 11, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »
Depends on who we end up hiring.  If we insist on picking from the Synder tree (not named Venables) we're looking at decades of mediocrity.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 11, 2017, 08:32:15 PM »
Totally agree

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 11, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
Tho, there is a part of me that thinks Sean might, MIGHT, have the balls to go get a great staff.  Tho, that’s probably me being unrealistic.