Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4100482 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #29200 on: September 28, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
I will slightly defend OU fans.  I can understand why they don't care for their home schedules.  The A&M and Nebraska games were there biggies.  I have pleanty of friend that were 12 when the Big12 formed and still wish they played Nebraska every year.  I get that frustration.  Also, in their defense, that LT thread is literally 5 people in an echo chamber, with 1 rational poster popping up every once in a while.  I posted that more out of laughing at those 5 as opposed to OU fan.  They also are the types that continually pull the "if we cut OSU loose, they'd be forced to make it on their own, and while they'd have less they could be proud that they did something on their own".  It's not typical OU fan.

That said, they've all gotten significantly stupider then last couple years.  I don't have my high level OU connection giving me an even-keeled opinion anymore, so that may be part of it.  But the blaming the Big12 for their problems, when their real problems Mike Stoops and an OC that refuses to give 2 of 10 best RBs in the country the ball.  The stupid "steel sharpens steel" cliches are running rampant.  None of them realize that the Big12 is a national laughing stock because people are laughing at Boren not shutting up. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29201 on: September 28, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
I almost guarantee you that this is how David Boren has viewed expansion:

Spring 2016: I think BYU and Cincinnati would be great additions to this conference.  I could be interested in schools like Houston and Central/South Florida as well.

Post UT going Pro-Houston: I think BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston would be great additions to this conference.  I could be interested in Central/South Florida as well.

Post interviews: I think BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston would be great additions to this conference.

Post Houston Game: I think BYU and Cincinnati would be good additions to the conference.  My donors and BOR want no part of Houston.

Post LGBT blowups: No one wants BYU any more, and we can't just add Cincinnati, so I'm no longer interested in expansion.

There has been such a blowback against BYU, especially after all of Baylor's troubles, that I think Boren's dream kind of died.  I also think that the TV partners were big on BYU, and we could probably "maintain the relationship" with Houston and BYU, but OU isn't going to support Houston at this point, and BYU's support isn't anywhere near where it needs to be to get inclusion.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 02:31:22 PM by Panjandrum »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29202 on: September 28, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »
Chuck Carlton had an interesting BYU take.  While everyone is focusing on the LGBT issues, the presidents have more issue with their using of Title IX investigations to enforce honor code violations against victims and witnesses, which suppresses reporting and forces witnesses to face code violation punishment for helping investigators.  They are more concerned with that increasing the chances for another Baylor situation.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29203 on: September 29, 2016, 08:28:51 AM »
Why does everyone keep talking about Baylor? The conference did not do one god damn thing to them. The fact that they kept the entire coaching staff intact sans Briles is a giant go eff yourself to the conference and they did dick about it. So the Big XII doesn't want to add BYU because BYU will just #trim316 and the conference would do dick about it?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29204 on: September 29, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »
does anybody truly believe NU, MU, CU, and A&M regret their moves to their respective conferences?  Like, the majorities of their fanbases, coaches, administrators? 

They may not have more power, but they view the PAC, big 10 and SEC as superior conferences with superior schools.  It's like, they'd rather be the last place Kansas City Royals than the first place Omaha Storm Chasers. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29205 on: September 29, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »
 :dunno:
does anybody truly believe NU, MU, CU, and A&M regret their moves to their respective conferences?  Like, the majorities of their fanbases, coaches, administrators? 

They may not have more power, but they view the PAC, big 10 and SEC as superior conferences with superior schools.  It's like, they'd rather be the last place Kansas City Royals than the first place Omaha Storm Chasers.

They would be happy with their moves whether it was the right move or not. Colorado moving nearly broke them, they're making less money and they're less impactful in the Pac 12 but to them it was the right move. Comparing the Big 12 to a minor league, especially compared to the Pac 12 is foolish.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29206 on: September 29, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »

I think most of them are still glad they left.  I think most of them also don't feel as much passion for their new opponents (whether they admit it or not) .  College sports is fun almost entirely because of the rivalries.  You simply cannot fabricate new rivalries to have the same importance as those that have been going on for generations.

I don't have too much pride to admit that I wish those schools were still here,  and only a small part of that feeling is for conference stability.  I like our current conference,  but still miss the old guys.  I'd hate to be in any other conference if it meant going alone.  I don't give a crap if we could make more money elsewhere (and we're wanted) ,  that's not why I watch every Saturday.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29207 on: September 29, 2016, 09:24:13 AM »
Most MU and NU fans I know in the KC area miss playing the local schools but I am sure the administrations both love the stability they have now. 

Of the current revenue sport coaches my guess is only Kim & Barry wish they were in the big 12 where beating KU could salvage a season.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29208 on: September 29, 2016, 09:51:03 AM »
They would be happy with their moves whether it was the right move or not. Colorado moving nearly broke them, they're making less money and they're less impactful in the Pac 12 but to them it was the right move. Comparing the Big 12 to a minor league, especially compared to the Pac 12 is foolish.

It may be foolish - but it's not foolish to Pac12 schools. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29209 on: September 29, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
Most MU and NU fans I know in the KC area miss playing the local schools but I am sure the administrations both love the stability they have now. 

Of the current revenue sport coaches my guess is only Kim & Barry wish they were in the big 12 where beating KU could salvage a season.

I only know one NU fan in the KC area and they like saying they're a big 10 school.  All of the MU people I know are delirious with their SEC pride.  Aside from KU and, maybe KSU, I doubt many MU fans miss playing a single other BigXII school. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29210 on: September 29, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »
I've personally always viewed the Big 10 as an inferior football conference. Going there would suck.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #29211 on: September 29, 2016, 10:03:10 AM »
I've personally always viewed the Big 10 as an inferior football conference. Going there would suck.
You shouldn't. They've accounted for a few national titles over there years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29212 on: September 29, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »
You shouldn't. They've accounted for a few national titles over there years.

Ohio State and Michigan are quality programs. The rest of the conference is complete garbage. It's what the Big 12 would be if we added 4 conference USA teams to get to 14.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29213 on: September 29, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Programs that are better than OU and Texas right now in the Big 10:

Ohio State
Michigan
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Possibly Nebraska.

Big 10 > Big 12/Pac 12/ACC

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29214 on: September 29, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »
Programs that are better than OU and Texas right now in the Big 10:

Ohio State
Michigan
Wisconsin
Michigan State

Possibly Nebraska.

Big 10 > Big 12/Pac 12/ACC

Yeah, OU has gotten off to a rocky start this year, but Oklahoma and Texas are ahead of Wisconsin and Michigan State.

Ask yourself a serious question: If all four of those jobs opened at the end of the year, what order would most coaches put them in?

1) Texas
2) Oklahoma
3) Michigan State
4) Wisconsin

Texas and Oklahoma are Top 10 jobs.  Let's not go crazy, here.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29215 on: September 29, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »
Well ya.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29216 on: September 29, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
Nebraska's home football games in Big 10 play this year are Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, and Maryland. How could anyone get excited about that lineup? We have years where we don't play a lot of good teams at home, but at least we have rivalries.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29217 on: September 29, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »
Their "rivalry" is Iowa. I mean, I get it. Minus the top 5-6 teams in the Big 10, the conference is dog crap. That's what happens when you expand to 14. It waters down eventually.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29218 on: September 29, 2016, 11:29:22 AM »
If anyone has regrets, it would be Nebraska. No way the others do, (even though they aren't making more money than they would have in the B12).

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29219 on: September 29, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »
I'd say A&M, Utah, and Missouri are the real winners out of this whole thing. I know Missouri is trash now, but they played for two conference titles. WOW!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29220 on: September 29, 2016, 11:34:41 AM »
I'd say A&M, Utah, and Missouri are the real winners out of this whole thing. I know Missouri is trash now, but they played for two conference titles. WOW!

well, Mizzou moved to an easier conference schedule than they had previously. Utah is obviously the massive winner.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29221 on: September 29, 2016, 11:38:53 AM »
Yup. By far.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29222 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
also the biggest studs
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29223 on: September 29, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »
TCU is other biggest winner. and Rutgers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29224 on: September 29, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »
I think Nebraska, Maryland, and Colorado are the only losers in expansion. Maryland is a gigantic WTF that we don't talk about very much.