Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4108388 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27025 on: December 07, 2015, 04:10:41 PM »

You didn't answer the question. I already went over this already but since you apparently can't read I'll lay it out again. The Big 12 concluded it's 2014 season with the #3 team in the country winning by 50 & the #6 team beating the #9 team by a lot. These things took place on the last Saturday of the season, hours before OSU beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game. When the Big 12 games concluded NO ONE thought they would get left out.

Now let's just say that these two games happened on Thanksgiving weekend and not championship weekend. Why in the holy hell would the Big 12 force the #3 school to play either the #4, 5, or 6 team in the country? If Baylor beat TCU in this scenario there is no way to ensure that they would jump OSU, as a matter of fact I think it's pretty safe to say they wouldn't.

So I'll ask one more time, who is making the last minute decision to play these games and are they forcing the teams to play? Also please come up with a hypothetical situation where doing this would be mutually beneficial, or even beneficial to one team. Thanks

I'm not sure what all you guys are arguing about (I didn't read the whole history), but I think TCU was #3 and Baylor was something like #6, right?

Are we contending that we don't think the winner of #3 TCU/#6 Baylor wouldn't have gotten in over #6 OSU beating #9 Wisconsin?

Not arguing, but trying to understand what it is we're trying to hash out here.

Do you even mutually beneficial, bro?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27026 on: December 07, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »
You didn't answer the question. I already went over this already but since you apparently can't read I'll lay it out again. The Big 12 concluded it's 2014 season with the #3 team in the country winning by 50 & the #6 team beating the #9 team by a lot. These things took place on the last Saturday of the season, hours before OSU beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game. When the Big 12 games concluded NO ONE thought they would get left out.

Now let's just say that these two games happened on Thanksgiving weekend and not championship weekend. Why in the holy hell would the Big 12 force the #3 school to play either the #4, 5, or 6 team in the country? If Baylor beat TCU in this scenario there is no way to ensure that they would jump OSU, as a matter of fact I think it's pretty safe to say they wouldn't.

So I'll ask one more time, who is making the last minute decision to play these games and are they forcing the teams to play? Also please come up with a hypothetical situation where doing this would be mutually beneficial, or even beneficial to one team. Thanks

I'm not sure what all you guys are arguing about (I didn't read the whole history), but I think TCU was #3 and Baylor was something like #6, right?

Are we contending that we don't think the winner of #3 TCU/#6 Baylor wouldn't have gotten in over #6 OSU beating #9 Wisconsin?

It's kind of convoluted because you have to create some scenarios that didn't exist because the root of this conversation is that it would be a good idea for the Big 12 to decide after the games are played on Thanksgiving weekend to play an extra game if they need one. I'm essentially telling him that the Big 12 didn't know they needed one until after the committee made their final picks, and the Big 12 can never know they will need one, among other plainly obvious issues with deciding to play an extra game 6 days later. In this scenario TCU would be foolish to want to play an extra game when they were already in the top 4 and even if they did there's no guarantee that the committee wouldn't have played the "body of work" card to justify OSU over whichever team won that game.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27027 on: December 07, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »

It's kind of convoluted because you have to create some scenarios that didn't exist because the root of this conversation is that it would be a good idea for the Big 12 to decide after the games are played on Thanksgiving weekend to play an extra game if they need one. I'm essentially telling him that the Big 12 didn't know they needed one until after the committee made their final picks, and the Big 12 can never know they will need one, among other plainly obvious issues with deciding to play an extra game 6 days later. In this scenario TCU would be foolish to want to play an extra game when they were already in the top 4 and even if they did there's no guarantee that the committee wouldn't have played the "body of work" card to justify OSU over whichever team won that game.
Even if you could come up with some bizarre plan to play an extra game only if it helps get a team into the playoff, there's no chance in hell the other conferences would agree to letting the Big 12 schedule/cancel games on the fly.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27028 on: December 07, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »
It is clear that Houston is a Power 5 school looking for a Power 5 Conference to take them. They are no different than TCU or Louisville. Take them and an a north non Texas school say Cincinnati and the divisions will look like this.

SWC Division               

Baylor
Houston
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
West Virgina

Big 8 Division

Kansas State
Kansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Cincinnati
RIP Fatty

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27029 on: December 07, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »

The committee dropping OU to fourth this weekend was pretty telling.  Essentially, the committee was saying: a 12-1 conference champ is better than an 11-1 conference champ.  In other words, OU got in because Stanford was 11-2.  If Stanford would've been 12-1, I really think OU would've been left out.  And, I can't really blame the committee for coming to that conclusion.

With that information, I think you could develop some cut and dry rules as to when the Big 12 would have a championship game:
1.  If a Big 12 team is 12-0, no championship game.
2.  If two Big 12 teams are 11-1, have a championship game.
3.  If the two best Big 12 teams are 10-2, have a championship game.
4.  If the two best Big 12 teams are 9-3, etc. etc.

After that, it obviously gets a little trickier.  Part of the equation would be whether the other conference have two loss teams.  So, if 10-2 Florida State is playing 10-2 North Carolina, and we have one 11-1 team, don't have a championship because 11-1 is better than 12-2, which means we will be in front of the ACC champ.  In terms of resolving these situations, you could do this:  ask the two teams eligible for the Big 12 championship game if they want to play.  If they both say "yes," play it.  If not, don't play it.

I don't think we will ever go there, but I also 100% agree that the Big 12 could get a tactical advantage by implementing the above rules.  If Baylor and TCU had played last year, there is no doubt in my mind that the 12-1 winner of that game would have had a BETTER chance to get in.

One other thing:  My sense is that the last two championship weekends have been very "chalk" in terms of the  results.  Meaning that no two-loss teams have gotten in, yet.  In most years, I believe, there will be at least one two-loss team in the playoffs.  Hell, LSU got into the BCS title game with two losses.  If an 11-1 team is preferred over an 11-2 team, I think the current format of the Big 12 gives us a slight advantage over other conferences (even though we could buttress that advantage by having a "maybe" championship game).

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27030 on: December 07, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
It is clear that Houston is a Power 5 school looking for a Power 5 Conference to take them. They are no different than TCU or Louisville. Take them and an a north non Texas school say Cincinnati and the divisions will look like this.

SWC Division               

Baylor
Houston
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
West Virgina

Big 8 Division

Kansas State
Kansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Cincinnati

Texas and Ok will never not be in the same division. They will and must play every year.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27031 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »

SWC Division               

Baylor
Houston
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
West Virgina

Big 8 Division

Kansas State
Kansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Cincinnati

Texas and Ok will never not be in the same division. They will and must play every year.

Easily done by each team having a Division Rivalry game every year. Oklahoma and Texas every year. The rest draw names out of a hat.
RIP Fatty

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27032 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:56 PM »
The committee dropping OU to fourth this weekend was pretty telling.  Essentially, the committee was saying: a 12-1 conference champ is better than an 11-1 conference champ.  In other words, OU got in because Stanford was 11-2.  If Stanford would've been 12-1, I really think OU would've been left out.  And, I can't really blame the committee for coming to that conclusion.

With that information, I think you could develop some cut and dry rules as to when the Big 12 would have a championship game:

After that, it obviously gets a little trickier.  Part of the equation would be whether the other conference have two loss teams.  So, if 10-2 Florida State is playing 10-2 North Carolina, and we have one 11-1 team, don't have a championship because 11-1 is better than 12-2, which means we will be in front of the ACC champ.  In terms of resolving these situations, you could do this:  ask the two teams eligible for the Big 12 championship game if they want to play.  If they both say "yes," play it.  If not, don't play it.

I don't think we will ever go there, but I also 100% agree that the Big 12 could get a tactical advantage by implementing the above rules.  If Baylor and TCU had played last year, there is no doubt in my mind that the 12-1 winner of that game would have had a BETTER chance to get in.

One other thing:  My sense is that the last two championship weekends have been very "chalk" in terms of the  results.  Meaning that no two-loss teams have gotten in, yet.  In most years, I believe, there will be at least one two-loss team in the playoffs.  Hell, LSU got into the BCS title game with two losses.  If an 11-1 team is preferred over an 11-2 team, I think the current format of the Big 12 gives us a slight advantage over other conferences (even though we could buttress that advantage by having a "maybe" championship game).
This might be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this blog and I have read some really dumb crap on here.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27033 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »

SWC Division               

Baylor
Houston
Texas
Texas Tech
TCU
West Virgina

Big 8 Division

Kansas State
Kansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Cincinnati

well, there are ways they could be in separate divisions and still play every year

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27034 on: December 07, 2015, 06:19:38 PM »

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this blog and I have read some really dumb crap on here.
Why stop there?  The commissioner should have the authority to vacate losses to the top 4 teams in the conference.  That way, the Big 12 champion is always 13-0 and a mortal lock for the playoffs with 3 other undefeated teams.  I think we're onto something, and surely the other conference will grant this authority to the Big 12 even though it puts the Big 12 at a huge competitive advantage that will cost other conferences millions of dollars a year.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27035 on: December 07, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
What are we going to do when we don't have the entire off season dedicated to watching webcams feeding us tens of millions of new construction going up? 

Luckily that's not a problem we have to worry about any time soon.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27036 on: December 07, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »
My answer will be predicated upon you answering a pretty simple rough ridin' question, however difficult it is for you to do.

I didn't answer your question because it was a really stupid question. Of course it would have been important to have a team in the cfp laat year...

And?

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27037 on: December 07, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »

Coming from the guy who just shot down a north/south split because "ou and ut have to play each other," I should probably just discount you entirely. (Have you ever heard of protected rivalry games?  Like the sec had been doing for years?)

Anyway, I'll bite:  What is so dumb about my post?  I'm trying to show that you could develop some rules as to when to play a championship game after a round robin.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27038 on: December 07, 2015, 07:53:47 PM »
gooch is right, it's very dumb
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27039 on: December 07, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »

Okay, I follow.

I agree with you that if we are talking about expanding purely for the playoff, or just adding an extra game, then we need Bill Hancock to quit being a bitch and just say we need a title game and quit screwing around with subtle, passive aggressive swipes by Jeff Long on selection day.

No one knows what the criteria really is because the discussions aren't open. On top of that, Oliver Luck and Hocutt know what we need, but either they aren't telling Bowlsby, or they are and he's playing dumb.

My main frustration point is that I just want someone to cut the bullshit and tell us what we have to do. If they're saying that 13th game isn't essential to get in, but it gives you that tiebreaking top 25 or top 10 win, then fine. If the metric is number of top 25 and top ten wins, then we don't need that game. We need more marquee non-con games. If you get rewarded for the element of added risk, fine, but tell us where it ranks. If it's the lack of losses, fine, but is the fact that someone like Iowa didn't lose, but didn't really have any good wins more important than someone with a better schedule and more good wins?

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27040 on: December 07, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »

Okay, I follow.

I agree with you that if we are talking about expanding purely for the playoff, or just adding an extra game, then we need Bill Hancock to quit being a bitch and just say we need a title game and quit screwing around with subtle, passive aggressive swipes by Jeff Long on selection day.

No one knows what the criteria really is because the discussions aren't open. On top of that, Oliver Luck and Hocutt know what we need, but either they aren't telling Bowlsby, or they are and he's playing dumb.

My main frustration point is that I just want someone to cut the bullshit and tell us what we have to do. If they're saying that 13th game isn't essential to get in, but it gives you that tiebreaking top 25 or top 10 win, then fine. If the metric is number of top 25 and top ten wins, then we don't need that game. We need more marquee non-con games. If you get rewarded for the element of added risk, fine, but tell us where it ranks. If it's the lack of losses, fine, but is the fact that someone like Iowa didn't lose, but didn't really have any good wins more important than someone with a better schedule and more good wins?

You have to ignore what they say (how can any one person really describe the thought process involved in a group vote like that?) and focus on what they have done.

Last year established that 12-1 is better than 11-1.  This year established that 11-1 is better than 11-2. ( talking about champions of power five conferences of course)

i think it really is that simple.  Sometimes the simplest idea ( winning percentage) is the best explanation.  The rest is just smoke, mirrors, and a lot of hot air designed to sell deodorant and stuff on TV.  The people voting might not even realize it.  I suspect it will be a long time until they break the two rules described above.  All the bs about quality wins etc will only come in when they have to pick between, say, two 11-2 conference champs.

Considering that the big 12 has produced six 11-1 teams in the five years of round robin, I believe we are at a slight advantage compared to other conferences.  It will be a rare year when there are four teams at 12-1 or 13-0.  Last year just happened to be that year.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #27041 on: December 07, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »
You are attacking a false premise. The Big 12 isn't risking missing out on the playoff because of a CCG. That is an ad hoc excuse used by the committee to justify it's profit driven scheme. Just like the ooc strength of schedule excuse was used earlier this season to exclude tcu and Baylor from the top 4.

The Big 12 plays one more p5 game on average than everyone else, because 9 conf games.

TCU was criticized for playing @minnesota, while ou was praised for playing @tenn. Minnesota is arguably better, and hardly dramatically worse than tenn, yet that's the dialogue.

Bama gets a free pass every season. OU gets in with one loss, tcu and Baylor never could have.

The thing is entirely ratings driven. The rational is rationalization.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27042 on: December 07, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
Big 12 CCG '98 and '01. Same results, two completely different outcomes. Whatever excuses you were fed rationalizing the disparate treatment, complete bullshit.

The bcs/committee hate uncertainty, therefore they hate the idea of a non traditional power at their party.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27043 on: December 07, 2015, 09:16:21 PM »
You are attacking a false premise. The Big 12 isn't risking missing out on the playoff because of a CCG. That is an ad hoc excuse used by the committee to justify it's profit driven scheme. Just like the ooc strength of schedule excuse was used earlier this season to exclude tcu and Baylor from the top 4.

The Big 12 plays one more p5 game on average than everyone else, because 9 conf games.

TCU was criticized for playing @minnesota, while ou was praised for playing @tenn. Minnesota is arguably better, and hardly dramatically worse than tenn, yet that's the dialogue.

Bama gets a free pass every season. OU gets in with one loss, tcu and Baylor never could have.

The thing is entirely ratings driven. The rational is rationalization.
TCU was 100% in had Wisconsin played a competitive game against Ohio State.  The Buckeyes obliterated Wisconsin and made an undeniable statement.  The committee got it right just as they got it right when they picked Alabama to play LSU in the NCG, just as they got it right picking LSU to play Ohio State in 2007, and just as they got it right picking Florida over Michigan to play Ohio State in the NCG.

The Big 12 has received the benefit of the doubt multiple times in the past, and the committee walked away with egg on its face every time.  Nebraska didn't win its division and still got in over Oregon in 2001 and got destroyed by Miami.  Oklahoma lost to KSU and got the nod over USC, and LSU kicked their asses.  In 2004, Oklahoma got in over undefeated Auburn.  Again, they lost...55-19.

The Big 12 has received the benefit of the doubt more often than not, and their representative has lost in convincing fashion every time. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27044 on: December 07, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »
I don't know how you missed the point it has nothing to do with the conf., but thanks for documenting my point (complete with bullshit speculative tcu omission comment).

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27045 on: December 07, 2015, 09:24:21 PM »
The only reason 01 Nub got in was because Texas lost the CCG. A lot of people seem to forget that.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27046 on: December 07, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
Also, '03 OU.

Seriously everyone needs to stop looking for meaning/messages to the conference from the committee. The conference is irrelevant. You either like the CCG or you don't as a matter of entertainment

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27047 on: December 07, 2015, 09:50:54 PM »
I don't know how you missed the point it has nothing to do with the conf., but thanks for documenting my point (complete with bullshit speculative tcu omission comment).
If it's simply financial, why did Oklahoma get in over Texas in 2004?  Why did LSU and Oklahoma get in over USC?

It's not driven by anything other than what the committees and (formerly) the computers think is the best body of work.  I don't think Condi Rice gives a damn about television ratings for football games.  If she was looking for kickbacks, she never would have left politics.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27048 on: December 07, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
I wish steffy and emo's proposals could've involved convening a summit of all the Big 12 atheltic directors and presidents and having a series of secret ballots and then having the media huddled outside the big 12 offices attempting to read the color of the BBQ smoke to determine if there would be a Conference Championship Game or not.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27049 on: December 07, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
Hey dumbasses

Undefeated champ is in
1 loss OU or UT champ is likely in
1 loss anyone else champ is likely out

That's the formula with or without CCG, so playing it can only screw things up