Author Topic: Favorite K-State Writer of all time? - It's Jmart, leader of Rivals.com K-State  (Read 143366 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite K-State Writer of all time?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »
I don't know the difference between any of these people
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
JMart, Meek, Manbeck, Janssen

the Mount Rushmore.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »
JMart, Manbeck, Meek, Kurtz.

And I like DScott too, though I haven't subscribed in years.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
I wish my best friend in the world Kellis was better.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
All of these guys have their own unique skills, just as we all have our own unique tastes.  What I do know is that generally speaking, rivals.com has always sought to have each university's fans serviced by the best writer specific for each school.  I'm sure that with a special season on the horizon for our 'cats, they'll make sure that is indeed the case for us EMAWs.  It's safe to say that whoever Rivals has in place for K-State by the time this season starts on Saturday is the BITB.  So as much as some of you people might not like to admit it, it's probably Fitz.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
pvegs bread and butter/bait thread. meek was great. is in eugene now. good rough ridin' guy/writer if you believe in his online/social media life. i admittedly don't have the experience of following the cats through the years as a local that a lot of you guys have, but rn i love kellis. he will not bullshit you. just does the damn job. flourishes in the right places, but essentially is invested but not in love with the program in complicated personal ways (maybe). his prof on barnes this past wknd is a perfect example. he got the eff out of the way and had the kid do the talking. so now we all all know how much we enjoy and admire, mr. barnes. i don't know journalism well, but i think being an invisible voice/conduit while still being yr own person is key!

also, in my opinion, the rivals guys for us are all rly bad at writing. they have the access, but couldn't write their ways out of a paper sack full of hammered dogshit. d scott is fine. wallace is soooo bad. the big guy is ok but kind of a dipshit. cassidy seems smart in innumerable ways. the others, the string of 20 something kstate undergrads they've had on staff, are usually super bad. but, hey, we're all learning. and learning on the job in a high-stress gig with deadlines is not easy. respect.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:17:56 PM by pvegs »

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
ok, that's one vote for smellis

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »
If I remember correctly Meek was a squawk who couldn't be counted on to bring the damn zeal to his work.

Online meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
yep, old Squawkstin

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
meek always came off as slightly "on the spectrum." also, meek, kellis, d scott, whomever, if you are reading this, i know none of you irl, pls do not take offense. or, also, always feel to personally email me and talk crap here: [email protected]

edit: also, trim has informed me i'm being a dipshit crap in this thread/am a fish out of water via insidery deets. YOLO
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:44:18 PM by pvegs »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
also, in my opinion, the rivals guys for us are all rly bad at writing. they have the access, but couldn't write their ways out of a paper sack full of hammered dogshit. d scott is fine. wallace is soooo bad. the big guy is ok but kind of a dipshit. cassidy seems smart in innumerable ways. the others, the string of 20 something kstate undergrads they've had on staff, are usually super bad. but, hey, we're all learning. and learning on the job in a high-stress gig with deadlines is not easy. respect.

Cassidy's w/big-boy national Rivals.

Even if Rivals has led their K-State site slide for a while now, I'm confident they'll finally give KSU the attention it deserves before this season gets going, and make sure they have whatever's best for EMAW in place.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »
Is Rake's life still at risk in a bet w/sys?  May not be a SLTH depending on how many more years are left on that deal.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »
my k-state writer big board ...

1. jeffrey martin - the k-stated blog and the Q&A at the eagle site was consistently the most informative read. i think it is fair to say that he mostly owned that beat. i used to set my alarm clock at 1:59 am and read his stories when they were posted at 2 a.m.

2. austin meek - in 2007, literal seconds after okla st beat k-state in stillwater, austin asked if i was ready to send my story. he had just sent his. something about a "push-button deadline." all i had written was my byline. it was at that moment that i knew i would never make it in sports journalism. austin, however, was very good. broke some stories, reliable reporting, respected by all.

3. rob cassidy - better reporter than writer. always found good stories, asked a bunch of questions, had semi frequent scoops (typically with recruiting, but not always). in 2008, the night before a k-state practice, i was out drinking with rob and we both agreed we were going to lay into prince and ask him tough questions: ron, are you a micromanager? ron, why can't you get along with anybody? ron, why do you keep running off good coaches? the next morning came, and there were only a handful of reporters there. i rarely (almost never) asked questions at press conferences (there were real reporters trying to accomplish things, and i was a nobody), but in these small settings i often would. anyway, as was typical, prince got several softball questions and it was predictably boring and useless. rob looked at me. i looked at him. he looked at me. i took a deep breath and went for it. "so, ron, do you consider yourself to be a micromanager?" he looked at me like i was satan. "what do you mean by micromanager!?" it went downhill from there and got very contentious. i remember thinking afterward that my career was over before it started. that night, i had to write a story for the topeka paper, and i didn't address any of this exchange. i just wanted it to go away. meanwhile, d scott posted the transcript at GPC. a few posters at GPC read it and wanted to know who asked these disrespectful questions to prince. "this writer has a clear agenda!" rob never told anyone at the forum it was me, and i was appreciative.

4. howard richman - worked at the star for 25 years, and to my knowledge spent most of it covering k-state sports. it seemed like he burned out near the end of his run, but he was a good, steady reporter, and one of the coolest guys you could ever meet. i didn't talk to him much, but he was very approachable.

5. kellis robinett - he cracks the top five simply for longevity. never would have guessed he'd survive the first month on the k-state beat, let alone seven or eight years. people were so mean to him. he couldn't post a story without someone asking about his wife's jayhawk cookies. he's become a pretty solid writer and reporter. i read his stuff as regularly as anyone else's when searching for k-state info.

6. tim bisel - many forget, but he was the beat writer at the CJ pre austin, before becoming the sports editor. always enjoyed reading bisel's stuff. early in his tenure as sports editor, he occasionally wrote critical columns about the inept k-state athletic dept. i always loved to read negative k-state sports articles because they were so so so rare. those were the stories that excited me.

7. cole manbeck - used to refer to him as Fanbeck because he often griped in the press box when k-state made a bad play. can't really fault him for that though. others in the press box were also big fans, they just did a better job hiding it. cole took over the mercury beat after jannssen left, and it was a definite upgrade (more on that later). he had clear ambition and was hard working.

8. levi wolters - it is a tragedy that levi never became a k-state beat writer. but he was good enough as a correspondent to be added to this list of beat writers. my first year at k-state, i covered volleyball for the student paper. levi covered it for the eagle. problem is. i didn't know a rough ridin' thing about volleyball, and levi seemed to know everything. since my stories for weekend games didn't have to be filed until late sunday night, i could always open up levi's stories and steal all his details and observations. kidding! (kind of).

EDIT: levi might have only covered one game, Wichita vs K-State, but it was my first, and i definitely read his story six or seven times before writing mine. i didn't take journalism ethics until two years later. 

9. any collegian writer, past or present.

10. mark jannsen - don't know if i spelled his name correctly, and frankly don't care. he was respected by almost nobody, he was rude and dismissive and needy, had a crusty personality and writing style, and often lifted quotes from others without attribution. his LHC Bill Snyder book was one of the most poorly formatted books i've ever read.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:02:48 PM by j rake »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »
Not dead yet!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »
Fitz and D Scott have been supremely entertaining over the years, but not so much for their writing.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 04:17:24 PM »
Solid list @jrake. Agreed on the Janssen book, someone just gave it to me and good god it is possibly the worst writing I've ever read. It jumps all around and most of the time makes absolutely no sense.

I've come to enjoy Kellis and his writing style. He's a pretty solid twitter follow and the fact that he made it through years of abuse from fans earned some respect from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »
Kellis was pretty amaze when he interviewed Tracz about the Jayhawk etc.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
I always like the work Blair Kerkoff does for the star too on all the colleges. He's p good.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »
I'm gonna roll w/Denis Clemente, CF3.  Looks like we're on opposite sides of an issue yet again.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »
I'm gonna roll w/Denis Clemente, CF3.  Looks like we're on opposite sides of an issue yet again.

its the natural order of things

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »
Let's just bring back J Mart and have him setup his own site and then we give him money and read his stuff about the KSU cats.  Deal?

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
J Rake, you would have enjoyed Todd Stewart

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake

Online OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »
Smellis and stupid bad person Curtis Kitchen had the most fun first posts at ksufans/goEMAW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
J Rake, you would have enjoyed Todd Stewart

http://amarillo.com/stories/050997/writer.html#.WacxZNMrJsM

:lol:

I was a student. What a time to be alive.

I visited the Collegian last year and saw his signed ceiling tile thing. It said "infamous sports columnist". I laughed.