Author Topic: Speaking of oscar-ketball  (Read 52150 times)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of oscar-ketball
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
All I said is that I think oscar is a good fit for K-State. And that Gene Keady is pretty smart, and knows basketball.  I didn't make that connection. I agree with Keady that Weber is a good fit, but he isn't the reason I think that.

Honestly, I think Weber relates well to Kansans. I think he can relate to the players (granted, not like Martin could with Hispanic players). He is well spoken. He is an x's and o's coach. He talks about hard nosed defense. He seems passionate. He seems to care about more than just basketball.

I don't know. Maybe it's just lip service. Maybe he just reminds me of a lot of the coaches I admire in the way he presents himself. We'll find out.

Holy eff, I mean tuck, rough ridin' tuck.  What in the blue hell does "relates well to Kansans" mean?  Sounds like code talk.  I'll continue to read the thread now in hopes that 5 minutes after you posted this you realized how incredibly mumped it sounds.

Who do you think an alum would find easier to talk to? Frank or Weber? Honestly... don't try to make something that it isn't.

1. I'm an alum.

2. I loved every one of the multiple conversations I had with Frank.

3. I have not talked to oscar personally, but I don't care for stutterers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
Also while I'm here I'll take a run at CC because I think he got a pass.  His response to Hamburgular was total horse crap and it would be if he worked for the AD or if he slung sandwiches at Jimmy John's. "I shouldn't have said it" is a weak ass tapout that wouldn't have been accepted if it came from anyone else.  You shouldn't have thought it.  Who the hell appointed you or anyone else the assessor of EMAW based on reasoning for economic decision making?  I'm fairly sure you have friends or family who don't have season tickets for some reason or another, do you spend time questioning their allegiance?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
Yeah, Frank was really easy to talk to. Super nice and always tried to act super interested in what you were saying even though it was mostly #fanningstuff. Stupid comparo. Frank was nothing like his on court presence in real life.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:47 PM »
Who do you think an alum would find easier to talk to? Frank or Weber? Honestly... don't try to make something that it isn't.

What on earth?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
All I said is that I think oscar is a good fit for K-State. And that Gene Keady is pretty smart, and knows basketball.  I didn't make that connection. I agree with Keady that Weber is a good fit, but he isn't the reason I think that.

Honestly, I think Weber relates well to Kansans. I think he can relate to the players (granted, not like Martin could with Hispanic players). He is well spoken. He is an x's and o's coach. He talks about hard nosed defense. He seems passionate. He seems to care about more than just basketball.

I don't know. Maybe it's just lip service. Maybe he just reminds me of a lot of the coaches I admire in the way he presents himself. We'll find out.

Holy eff, I mean tuck, rough ridin' tuck.  What in the blue hell does "relates well to Kansans" mean?  Sounds like code talk.  I'll continue to read the thread now in hopes that 5 minutes after you posted this you realized how incredibly mumped it sounds.

I want to know what is leading you to make the conclusion that Weber would be easy to talk to than Frank.  Literally every person who I know that has met Frank loved talking to him.  Where have you been the last five years the internet is full of articles and antidotes of how great Frank is when dealing with people.  No one here knows a damn thing about Webster's interpersonal skills, so why do you keep insisting that oscar relates better to Kansans?  Is it because oscar isn't brown?  Please tell me why.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »

I'm an alum, lots of alums on this board.  I found it very easy to talk to Frank.  Haven't had a chance to talk to Weber yet though.  We shall see. We shall see.  Also, who gives a eff?

Actually, you're correct. Just because after loses he seemed like he wanted to melt off reporters faces with his laser vision doesn't mean he can't still talk to an alum. And just because Weber will avoid saying anything controversial doesn't mean he's any better. Some people would find Frank easier to talk to, some will find Weber.

Fwiw, I have said way more to Weber than I ever did to Frank. So I don't have the whole picture I suppose.

It matters only because I see talking to fans and alums as a part of his job. Particularly the part where he helps raise money. Getting people to give money is a useful talent.
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
I think that was the sentence Wikipedia used on the "Examples of Intellectual Dishonesty" page.

Real-life honesty:

Days after Frank was gone, I pak'd with wabash909, LSOC, CancerFor3 and Fanning and we were happy as eff about the prospect of getting Gottlieb without giving a second thought to Frank Martin.

A couple days later, the best K-State hoops fans in the world assembled for rallies in support of Doug Gottlieb, again not giving a eff about whatever happened between Frank and Currie.

Argue with whatever imaginary Frank First'rs you want, but realize while some people are pissed about March 27 and before, everyone is pissed about March 27 and after.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2012, 10:38:22 PM »
It matters only because I see talking to fans and alums as a part of his job. Particularly the part where he helps raise money. Getting people to give money is a useful talent.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »
Man, Mancattanite. Delete account, start a new one, & try again.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »

Some people would find Frank easier to talk to, some will find Weber.

Frank obviously played a helping role in getting K-State basketball some money.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2012, 10:41:36 PM »

Wow... is it really that bad???

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
It really is sad for me right now . . . seeing that just like on Wabash during Snyder I (and now), we've got a lot of people who are bigger fans of the coach than they are of K-State.

Sad . . . really.

These threads would be much better without strawman arguments and intellectual dishonesty.  I know this posting style is a trademark of yours but it sidetracks discussions and forces people to repeat basic arguments that should really go left unsaid.

Oh Bull$hit . . . this board over the last several months is Wabash Circa 2005 regarding Snyder. 

The occasional, "oh well Eff Frank" post doesn't change the basic reality.

I don't know a damn thing about Wabash Station circa 2005, what you and I both know is that this thread or any similar thread doesn't exist on this board if Doug Gottlieb or any other several dozen men were named head coach.  So for the sake of keeping things moving please spare all of us the you love Frank more than K-State bullshit.  Hating the Weber hire has dick to do with Frank Martin and you know it.

I think that was the sentence Wikipedia used on the "Examples of Intellectual Dishonesty" page.

Dax gonna dax.  If you're going to ignore that this board was extremely excited about other candidates then I guess we can consider this conversation over.  There you have it folks, posters at goemawtard would have not been happy with any other coach (despite what the search history may tell you) because Frank Martin left.

Nice work Dax we can always count on you to accurately have your finger on the pulse of the thoughts and minds of all of us from a barstool of a BWW in North Carolina.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »

Winning basketball did.  Frank played a giant role in K-State becoming winning basketball.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »

Winning basketball did.  Frank played a giant role in K-State becoming winning basketball.

Sorry, that was sarcasm.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »

Sorry, that was sarcasm.

You're not the easiest guy to talk to.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »
wait, why is everyone still talking about frank?  he doesn't coach here, he quit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »

Fwiw, I have said way more to Weber than I ever did to Frank. So I don't have the whole picture I suppose.

This doesn't account for your apparent ignorance of the countless stories from local & national media and the many many message board tales of how great Frank is away from the court with people.  Honest question, did you become a K-State basketball fan after Weber was hired?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »

Wow... is it really that bad???
Nah. But the elites will keep coming at you. No matter what you say from now on they're going to PI the crap out of you. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. The oscar/frank comparo was a little redic. I mean I'm cheering on that we're wrong about oscar, my best interest is in Kstate bball being successful,  not hoping I'm right that oscar is a complete crap face. FWIW it seems oscar doesn't have much for a personality. He acts like he has a secret, a creepy one at that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:02:16 PM by fanningksu »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
wait, why is everyone still talking about frank?  he doesn't coach here, he quit.

Because Dax couldn't deal with the conversation about oscar Weber.  If Weber struggles this will be the playbook that those people (really wanted to say YOU PEOPLE) will use.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »
well, i hope that oscar does a great job here, so that all the basketball fans can go back to being happy and forget about frank

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »

This doesn't account for your apparent ignorance of the countless stories from local & national media and the many many message board tales of how great Frank is away from the court with people.  Honest question, did you become a K-State basketball fan after Weber was hired?

I have been a K-State fan my whole life. Point of pride: I was in bramlage coliseum the day after I was born (yes, I'm a young gun).

My (limited) personal experiences with Frank were that I felt like he didn't give a crap about being around the fans at that time. He would've rather been somewhere else.

My one experience with Weber was a 5 minute conversation that he actually seemed interested in.

Obviously there are people that had different experiences.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
Just stop. Frank cared a lot. Can confirm he'd make sure players talked to student media before real media in practice. Frank had charisma, that's what we're going to miss at the head coaching position. He was easy to like to the hard working adult fan, they understood his tough exterior. Bubbles is a goof.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
Obviously there are people that had different experiences.

I saw Frank successfully converse with the most Kansan of Kansans (in fact, a guy that Gene Keady called when he was trying to rally Weber support before Frank was even officially gone) whose first words to Frank were "where are you from?" and when Frank told him Cuba said "I thought you were EYE-talian."  (pronunciation added)

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2012, 11:18:07 PM »
Why is it that I feel like I need to apologize to everybody on this thread now?

Franks gone... we have Weber. Let's hope he can do a good job.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
How great would it have been if he'd gotten thrown in a Brazilian prison for his antics and we would've had to hire Gottlieb because the coaching carousel has stopped spinning for this offseason?