Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4095107 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23125 on: November 29, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »

i don't think you get the GOR

Well, that's the point here....that it might not be as iron clad as we think it is.

if its not iron clad, then you should give even less of a crap about ku leaving b/c that means any team can leave whenever they want and could all along so who cares.  just be glad its ku that might be leaving and not OU.

No crap.  Have you not read the last dozen posts of Catzacker on this point? 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23126 on: November 29, 2012, 10:26:47 PM »
KU can absolutely afford to leave.

If I were them, I would.

They would surpass us in every measurable category within 10 years.

how?  what the eff are you talking about?

Name one in which they wouldn't

if the GOR is worth anything, they won't be making a single dollar.   and the big 10 is terrible at athletics FYI

They'd make LOADS of dollars.

That would come from the Big 10.

The Big 12 would have to sue the Big 10 to get that money back. 

The Big 10 would not be too keen on giving KU "LOADS of dollars" if they don't own the rights to any KU home games.

Tell me, how many KU home games in football to you envision NOT being on the Big 10 network?????  They rough ridin' suck.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23127 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:20 PM »

Well, that's the point here....that it might not be as iron clad as we think it is.

if its not iron clad, then you should give even less of a crap about ku leaving b/c that means any team can leave whenever they want and could all along so who cares.  just be glad its ku that might be leaving and not OU.

if the other schools wanted to leave, they would.  ku leaving isn't going to change that.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23128 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »
Tell me, how many KU home games in football to you envision NOT being on the Big 10 network?????  They rough ridin' suck.

well, all of their home ones, to start. Because the Big 10 won't own the rights to broadcast them.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23129 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »

if the other schools wanted to leave, they would.  ku leaving isn't going to change that.

If they do, then they demonstrate required to leave.  It's like Maryland in the ACC....if it's found to be easy to leave, then we all are free agents.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23130 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:20 PM »
ku leaving could end up being the best thing to ever happen to the big 12.  too bad there is no way its going to happen.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23131 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »

well, all of their home ones, to start. Because the Big 10 won't own the rights to broadcast them.

Can't broadcast them, or have to relinquish revenue from them?

I have NEVER read a thing suggesting that it's more than merely monetary.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23132 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
ku leaving could end up being the best thing to ever happen to the big 12.  too bad there is no way its going to happen.

Is this part of your regular schtick where you say stupid opposite stuff?

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23133 on: November 29, 2012, 10:31:33 PM »
I've chosen to keep a level head for a while on all this, haven't been too worried since Olive Garden-gate.

Is it time for me to start freaking out again?

No. This is like the SEC making up reasons why Vanderbilt might consider a jump to the big 10 and then freaking out about how it might destroy their conference.

Edit: Should have said Kentucky.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:36:29 PM by Ira Hayes »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23134 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »
I've chosen to keep a level head for a while on all this, haven't been too worried since Olive Garden-gate.

Is it time for me to start freaking out again?

No. This is like the SEC making up reasons that Vanderbilt might consider a jump to the big 10 and then freaking out about how it might destroy their conference.

Or, is more like the risk that Maryland gets out of the $5OM Acc exit fee?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23135 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »

If they do, then they demonstrate required to leave.  It's like Maryland in the ACC....if it's found to be easy to leave, then we all are free agents.

who is going to leave?  where are they going?  why didn't they do it before signing the GOR?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23136 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »
is pete mumped in the head?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23137 on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

You might be the worst poster that we have ever had on this site.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=24902.0

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23138 on: November 29, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »

why are you so mad about ku leaving?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #23139 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »

:thumbs: Confirmed.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23140 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:01 PM »

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=24902.0

I will give him some credit, not everyone has the ability to hijack and ruin like 7 threads at the same time. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23141 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:09 PM »
ku is gone.  the big 12 is mumped.

signed,

pete

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23142 on: November 29, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »
I don't know why people are laughing this off, of the rumored teams, ku is the one who is most likely to go (not that they were first choice but others will say no).

of all the teams that have left, ku is by far the least important to the success of this conference.  even less so than colorado.

Weird interpretation.  Of course you could leave with a GOR, no one ever contended that you couldn't.  You would also leave your money and ability to make any more TV money.  Look at what CU is going through, hemorrhaging cash but not making any.  Then imagine doing that for over a decade.  KU isn't leaving, the BOR isn't that dumb, I think.

KU has the donors to recover from a GOR loss.  The Board of Regents is the only thing that could keep them if Dana Anderson, Anschutz, Compton, Ward, Hall, etc., want them to go.
if they left, it would set a horrible precedent.  essentially, the GOR would mean nothing.  it would provide no assurance for anyone and you're left with an unstable conference.  we're just assuming we'll be able to add FSU...but again, given the precedent, FSU could just wipe its ass with the GOR and walk away when the SEC came around.

You're out of their goddamned mind, there isn't a group of donors in the country willing to pony up over $200 million.  Jesus Christ guy they couldn't build a stadium club, but you think they're going to find $200 mil in the couch cushions?  The eff outta here, this guy.

How could it be $200M?  How on earth did you come up with that?

Its actually more than that, a lot more.  Take the TV rights and multiply that by years left on the GOR.  Also lets say they do leave, do you really think the rest of the conference is going to settle, with KU?  LOfuckingL

If the Big 10 agrees to pay them X, and donors agree to up to Y, and the attorneys settle to reduce it by Z, then I think it can happen. 

Again, I think they'd at least break even on TV money alone within 10 years.  Nevermind the revenue from new donors and other areas such as football ticket sales.

So you think its a good thing for a school having money trouble to sign up for another 10 years of financial trouble.  Also you really don't mean that football attendance part do you?  People that don't care about football at their school won't start caring because they play new teams.  That's been proven multiple times.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23143 on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »

this is exactly how I see it. The Big 12 has gotten better by losing CU, NU, MU, and ATM. Why stop there?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23144 on: November 29, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
I don't know why people are laughing this off, of the rumored teams, ku is the one who is most likely to go (not that they were first choice but others will say no).

of all the teams that have left, ku is by far the least important to the success of this conference.  even less so than colorado.

Weird interpretation.  Of course you could leave with a GOR, no one ever contended that you couldn't.  You would also leave your money and ability to make any more TV money.  Look at what CU is going through, hemorrhaging cash but not making any.  Then imagine doing that for over a decade.  KU isn't leaving, the BOR isn't that dumb, I think.

KU has the donors to recover from a GOR loss.  The Board of Regents is the only thing that could keep them if Dana Anderson, Anschutz, Compton, Ward, Hall, etc., want them to go.
if they left, it would set a horrible precedent.  essentially, the GOR would mean nothing.  it would provide no assurance for anyone and you're left with an unstable conference.  we're just assuming we'll be able to add FSU...but again, given the precedent, FSU could just wipe its ass with the GOR and walk away when the SEC came around.

You're out of their goddamned mind, there isn't a group of donors in the country willing to pony up over $200 million.  Jesus Christ guy they couldn't build a stadium club, but you think they're going to find $200 mil in the couch cushions?  The eff outta here, this guy.

How could it be $200M?  How on earth did you come up with that?

Its actually more than that, a lot more.  Take the TV rights and multiply that by years left on the GOR.  Also lets say they do leave, do you really think the rest of the conference is going to settle, with KU?  LOfuckingL

If the Big 10 agrees to pay them X, and donors agree to up to Y, and the attorneys settle to reduce it by Z, then I think it can happen. 

Again, I think they'd at least break even on TV money alone within 10 years.  Nevermind the revenue from new donors and other areas such as football ticket sales.

So you think its a good thing for a school having money trouble to sign up for another 10 years of financial trouble.  Also you really don't mean that football attendance part do you?  People that don't care about football at their school won't start caring because they play new teams.  That's been proven multiple times.

Well, Nebraska fans would fill up their stadium once every other year....

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23145 on: November 29, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »
  Also you really don't mean that football attendance part do you?  People that don't care about football at their school won't start caring because they play new teams.  That's been proven multiple times.

No, it's been the opposite.  Teams heading into new conferences have sold loads more football tickets. Missouri set records this year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23146 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »

This says it's all media rights, which includes more than revenue, I'm guessing. Of course none of these sports reporter jackwagons really know what they're talking about:

The deal includes a "grant of rights" agreement, meaning if a Big 12 school leaves for another league in the next 13 years, that school's media rights, including revenue, would remain with the Big 12 and not its new conference.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8346345/big-12-announces-media-deal-abc-espn-fox

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23147 on: November 29, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

Haven't read the docs themselves -- are they public? -- but I've seen it described as a grant of all the school's media rights "including revenue" to the conference.  That language implies it's money PLUS.  That means the conference's damages couldn't be strictly monetized and the Big 12 should be able to get an injunction against any other conference broadcasting the school's (KU's) games.  Football, basketball, whathaveyou.

That's my dime legal advice at least.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23148 on: November 29, 2012, 10:49:48 PM »
  Also you really don't mean that football attendance part do you?  People that don't care about football at their school won't start caring because they play new teams.  That's been proven multiple times.

No, it's been the opposite.  Teams heading into new conferences have sold loads more football tickets. Missouri set records this year.

pete.  you are right.  they are gone. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23149 on: November 29, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »

why are you so mad about ku leaving?
because it would suck for k-state and ku to be in different conferences.  i would miss them. it's antithetical to what college sports are supposed to be about.

there are other reasons, but none are as important as the above one.  period.  end of story.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]