Author Topic: Let's Get a Few Things Straight  (Read 14541 times)

Offline Kermit

• Fan
  • "Wanna Guess Where My Thumb Has Been"
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get a Few Things Straight
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »
I’d have to say that #LIFE is probably Kim Carnes most aggressive sock.

Other than his ridiculous outbursts, great thread guys.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2014, 10:35:31 AM »
One of the things lost on most when worrying about the RB situation is the fact that Baby Gronk is likely going to prove to be a very effective ball carrier in addition to being a blocker and receiver outta the backfield.

Granted, he won't have the "wiggle" that Hubert had to make people miss, but we have a ton of options in which to just hand him the ball.  RB should turn out to be very serviceable considering everything our offense presents to a defense.

bears are fast...

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm probably more bullish on the secondary than most.  I think Barnett is going to be either first or second team all-big 12.  I'm more confident in this group of CB's than I have been since, probably, 2003.  Somewhere between Evans, Jackson, McDaniel, Burns, Mack, and Moore, we'll find 2-3 good guys.  McDaniel and Evans are really prototypical nickel CB's that will allow us to run a very nice 4-2-5 base and have adequate size and strength in that formation.  The other guys are, at worst, a push with Daily and Roberts...throughout the two deep.

Concerns with Schelly are valid.  My hope is that Newlan or Green are able to step up and push him back down to back up status.

Linebacker doesn't really concern me that much because I don't think we'll be in a 4-3 base very much.  Otherwise, Truman and Davis will be sure tacklers, if not incredibly athletic in space, and if we need to boost the athleticism, you can switch out Davis for Derricott or Riddle.  If you want to go to a 4-3 and use the third linebacker as an extra pass rusher, Moore is a really intriguing weapon there.

I get an analysts view that, overall, we may not have NFL talent across the defense, therefore, we won't have a great one, but what we do have, in my opinion, is an outstanding pass rusher, an all-conference safety that can plug up holes and create turnover opportunities, and a slew of guys that fit specific, package based roles really well.

The question, IMO, is whether or not the coaches are able to get those guys into the right situations at the right times to maximize our success.  However, given how well Hayes has done the past few years, and how really well he hid deficiencies in a very average defense last year, it makes me feel like we can force the issue on defense more this year than in years past because we have Big 12 talent in the secondary, sure tackling linebackers, and pass rushers that can cause an offense problems.

I'm with Pete; if we beat Auburn... @OU takes on a whole new meaning because the offense is going to show up this year.  Snyder ALWAYS sees major offensive improvement under a second year starting QB.  And, to be honest, the most talented position group on the whole team, IMO, is wide receiver.

I think we're going to win at least ten games with an outside chance at 11.  If we get really, really lucky and stay injury free, I don't think a repeat of 2012 is out of the question.  To me, this team is built and assembled to the point where we could be in playoff contention sometime in November.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
One of the things lost on most when worrying about the RB situation is the fact that Baby Gronk is likely going to prove to be a very effective ball carrier in addition to being a blocker and receiver outta the backfield.

Granted, he won't have the "wiggle" that Hubert had to make people miss, but we have a ton of options in which to just hand him the ball.  RB should turn out to be very serviceable considering everything our offense presents to a defense.

I just want us to do something interesting with RB.  We have a lot of different options between designed runs for Waters, Gronk, Leverett, and Warmack. 

I just hope we don't get all boring and predictable with it.  Commit to mixing it up.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
CF3 I feel good about he WR, we got the JuCo Davis to add to the mix, and and maybe Judah can be good too (I think so), but yeah, definitely need Sexton, baby Klein and maybe even Baby Sexton to be effective receivers and provide relief for Lockett.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »

I just want us to do something interesting with RB.  We have a lot of different options between designed runs for Waters, Gronk, Leverett, and Warmack. 

I just hope we don't get all boring and predictable with it.  Commit to mixing it up.

I wonder how much Jones (judah and Charles) will play at the RB position as well.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »
Sexton and Lockett are going to be a great tandem. Waters and those guys have got it down. WR will be fine.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2014, 11:14:34 AM »
CF3 I feel good about he WR, we got the JuCo Davis to add to the mix, and and maybe Judah can be good too (I think so), but yeah, definitely need Sexton, baby Klein and maybe even Baby Sexton to be effective receivers and provide relief for Lockett.

That's the thing...

With Lockett on the outside causing problems, you have Burton, Jones, Davis, and Sexton to cause problems on the inside.  The fact that we return Trujillo and Gronk...well, that allows us to diversify the passing attack.

Waters is going to have viable options in all sections of the field.  It's on him to make sure that he's consistently hitting the short and intermediate passes to take pressure off of Lockett.

Tyler is going to get safety cover all of the time.  That's going to allow someone to get free underneath.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been Waters' strength thus far.  For a guy that's so good with the deep ball, he tends to skip or sail stuff underneath.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
For every question mark we have on this team I believe we have more potential answers then we had in the past couple of years. I also believe we haven't had this this much athletic potential for quite sometime.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
Good stuff Dlew. :thumbs:

The most important addition of DOD Pt. II:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:50:38 AM by Pett »

Offline dave

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
This guy rates K-State's QB situation as #30 in college football

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364816/article/ranking-every-fbs-qb-situation-nos-2130

FWIW KU is down past 100 somewhere

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
Really enjoyed this thread, Dlew. Thank you.

My LFBIQ Points

Defense

*The Clinks news is rough ridin' outstanding! He shoulb be able to come in and contribute immediately and probably has the potential to be really, really great. Imagine what Mueller will be able to do with Britz and Clinks potentially causing so many problems on the inside.

*I'm not worried at all about Linebacker. That photo of Dvonta is a little sad since he clearly looks a little out of shape and I had VERY high expectations for him. But I think Truman will be steady and the very athletic combination of Riddle, Dakorey, Moore and Dvonta should make this group possibly about as good as Tuggle and ABJ were.

*I'm excited about the potential of our CBs, especially after how frustrating they were last year (Eff you Dorian). I think McDaniel will be a fan favorite and will hit like a linebacker. I'm really hoping Burns can be a starter because we need his speed to compete with the elite teams. 

*Strong Safety is my biggest concern by far. We know we have a solid FS in Barnett and Evans as a NB will also be good, but we cannot have Schellenberg as a starter if we expect to do anything special this season, IMO. We need Newlan or Green to step up and carry on the torch for Zims.

Offense

*QB and WR will be fantastic this year. Anyone who doesn't think so is probably a KC sock.

*Defniitely some questions at OL. I have no idea what's going on there but hopefully they figure it out by Auburn.

*I'm probably not as worried about RB as I should be becuase I think Gronk will have a solid year and the receivers will take a lot of the pressure off whoever starts. I really want Warmack to carry the ball this year because he definitely appears to be the most talented, but I just think Snyder redshirts him we will have a "servicable" running back by committee with Judah and Gronk getting a handful of carries a game to complement Leverett and Jones.
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »
is there any reason to believe that waters and lockett will stay healthy the entire season? i don't think there is.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »
is there any reason to believe that waters and lockett will stay healthy the entire season? i don't think there is.
Does Jake of a history of being hurt or something? :confused:

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
let me guess, officer daris worked the crue concert in wichita last weekend and is still tired from lack of sleep :lol: 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »
let me guess, officer daris worked the crue concert in wichita last weekend and is still tired from lack of sleep :lol:
:jblein:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »

lockett does and i can't remember the last time a kstate qb who played the entire season, did it without injury.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »

lockett does and i can't remember the last time a kstate qb who played the entire season, did it without injury.
We don't go into Sketti-brained mode with Jake in the lineup.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »

We don't go into Sketti-brained mode with Jake in the lineup.

Jake might be forced into sketti-brain situations if our RBs don't produce.  :ohno:

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
I like the option of giving gronk the ball on hand offs 5ish times a game to take some pounding off waters.

Waters challenges throwing short vs excelling throwing it long a product of him not being tall enough?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
i say motion out Waters, direct snap to Gronk, and just let him gronk out all over the place.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
i say motion out Waters, direct snap to Gronk, and just let him gronk out all over the place.

Would that be called the WildGronk formation or is that just too redundant?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »
Beast formation

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »
This year's team will emulate the 2009 Super Bowl winning Saints. Waters/Lockett=Brees/Colston, serviceable O-line, RB by committee with a wildcard player who works into different schemes (Judah=Reggie Bush). A strong, but not highly ranked defense with a good pass rush, also creates turnovers and capitalizes on them. Lastly, a master schemer standing on the sidelines.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2014, 03:55:13 PM »

Chad May (Jake Waters comparo)?