Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 444892 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #2200 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
yes have checked into the name situ. no conflict with names, since they're No. Coast. but they do have all the good facebook/website/twitter names taken so I'll have to do something like no coast ales or something like that. haven't put a TON of thought into that just yet.

looking at two possible locations: Crossroads by Grinders or West Bottoms. CR would be great b/c more foot traffic and more bars/restaurants. But more $$$. West bottoms is cheap (like $2/sf) and you can get HUGE spaces. but little foot traffic and low visibility. Possible upside with it being the next "cool" place to be. I'm looking at two spaces this week. one of them being the old FD headquarters in the bottoms. so that would be neat.

Food trucks is a great idea! haven't thought of that. will def look into it. thanks guys!

First batch will be in August. All beer brewed from August-December will have to be given away due to a lack of license to sell liquor at that point. so....there's that.

FYI in Kansas at least you cannot give away alcohol without a license either.   

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: December 15, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »
hey mikey, shut up.

free booze for everyone

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: December 15, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
yes have checked into the name situ. no conflict with names, since they're No. Coast. but they do have all the good facebook/website/twitter names taken so I'll have to do something like no coast ales or something like that. haven't put a TON of thought into that just yet.

looking at two possible locations: Crossroads by Grinders or West Bottoms. CR would be great b/c more foot traffic and more bars/restaurants. But more $$$. West bottoms is cheap (like $2/sf) and you can get HUGE spaces. but little foot traffic and low visibility. Possible upside with it being the next "cool" place to be. I'm looking at two spaces this week. one of them being the old FD headquarters in the bottoms. so that would be neat.

Food trucks is a great idea! haven't thought of that. will def look into it. thanks guys!

First batch will be in August. All beer brewed from August-December will have to be given away due to a lack of license to sell liquor at that point. so....there's that.

This seems like a fantastic idea, given your background.  That can be huge for branding.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: December 16, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
Before you open, you should have a private gE tasting party, let fellow gE'ers sample your brews and take donations for it.

This.  Some of us are pretty big shots.  Would be great word of mouth for you
guys, what if the beer sucks!? would be super awkward. :sdeek:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: December 16, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
Congrats KCFDcat  :thumbs:

Will you be doing a tasting room?  I look forward to being there on opening day.  I was also at Cinder Block for their opening day.  Great excuse to get out of the office at 2:00.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
I like the WB idea with the old FD building.  Would be grea to get in early and then have the place blow up into the next cool spot to be.  Obviously its only a few weeks a year, but everything surrounding the American Royal and all the stuff they have going on would bring plenty of traffic.  Aren't Saturdays pretty popular down there too? 

Selfishly I would like it to be in NKC because its an easy stop for me and would be cool to have three different spots down there for a little brewery pubcrawl. 

Cant wait for it to get up and going so I can come fill a growler(hopefully with a sweet logo of yours on it)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: December 16, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »

I'm aware of the laws. but there is no way for them to track if I dump it down the drain or give a few samples away. The guy that works for the state liquor board told me this, so I think we'll be ok.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
I like the WB idea with the old FD building.  Would be grea to get in early and then have the place blow up into the next cool spot to be.  Obviously its only a few weeks a year, but everything surrounding the American Royal and all the stuff they have going on would bring plenty of traffic.  Aren't Saturdays pretty popular down there too? 

Selfishly I would like it to be in NKC because its an easy stop for me and would be cool to have three different spots down there for a little brewery pubcrawl. 

Cant wait for it to get up and going so I can come fill a growler(hopefully with a sweet logo of yours on it)

yeah, won't be in NKC. sorry bro.

will have a taproom, and it will be similar to Bier Station in Waldo. will be able to drink it there or take it home. will serve pretzels or something like that.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: December 16, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
i think a shrewd business move might be to have 8mp and company "dispose" of samples

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: December 16, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »
Before you open, you should have a private gE tasting party, let fellow gE'ers sample your brews and take donations for it.

This.  Some of us are pretty big shots.  Would be great word of mouth for you
guys, what if the beer sucks!? would be super awkward. :sdeek:

man, that would be awkward.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: December 16, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »

I'm aware of the laws. but there is no way for them to track if I dump it down the drain or give a few samples away. The guy that works for the state liquor board told me this, so I think we'll be ok.

Yeah, just don't have "free tasting" parties.    There are some folks here that got in trouble over doing so, as well as ABC killing the free wine at the Art Walks.   Assholes.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: December 16, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
You are right, West Bottoms is the next "cool" place in KC. Already know a few artist-types that moved in down there. American Royal weekend might be big enough to pay your bills for the year. The dude that owns Genessee Royale sold Happy Gillis so he could focus on GR, so he must see a future in the area.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: December 16, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
i think a shrewd business move might be to have 8mp and company "dispose" of samples

WOULD TAKE!
:adios:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
someone recently told me that there was a brewer in Hays Kansas that was getting ready to distribute.

Anyone confirm or deny?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: December 18, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »
someone recently told me that there was a brewer in Hays Kansas that was getting ready to distribute.

Anyone confirm or deny?

Confirmed.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: December 18, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
name?

said person said that they repped well at the GABF in Denver last year.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: December 18, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
Defiance Brewing Co.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: December 18, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
KCFD... thoughts on donating beer to fattyfest? also do crossroads. first Fridays will pay your rent. perfect market...

also I pledge to drink 17 kegs a month of your beer.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: December 18, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
KCFD... thoughts on donating beer to fattyfest? also do crossroads. first Fridays will pay your rent. perfect market...

hadn't really thought about that, but would most likely be willing to. I'd need details and such. probably wouldn't be possible for '14, but '15 and beyond we can talk.

agree with first fridays. I think the american royal would be great for two weekends or so, but not much exposure outside of that. trying to find a space that fits my size, cost, and usability requirements in the crossroads is tough. some places rent for 24.00/sf  :horrorsurprise:

17 kegs? that's like, 1/4 my monthly production.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: December 18, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
Good luck!  I look forward to purchasing your booze and telling all of my friends about you.
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: December 18, 2013, 04:20:28 PM »

hadn't really thought about that, but would most likely be willing to. I'd need details and such. probably wouldn't be possible for '14, but '15 and beyond we can talk.

agree with first fridays. I think the american royal would be great for two weekends or so, but not much exposure outside of that. trying to find a space that fits my size, cost, and usability requirements in the crossroads is tough. some places rent for 24.00/sf  :horrorsurprise:

just hire SabiNation and myself to like make more beer and stuff :cheers:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: December 18, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »

just hire SabiNation and myself to like make more beer and stuff :cheers:

:stir the pot:
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 18, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
How cool would it be if gE's own brewmaster KCFDcat gave a shoutout to #fatty4ksu? Even a small little hashtag in the fine print and it's all we'd ever drink again.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 18, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
I'm thinking official sponsorship. free beer for everyone!  :runaway:

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile