Author Topic: preseason rank?  (Read 20752 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: preseason rank?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 01:34:45 PM »
Finished top 10 and returning the white qb everyone likes to see bleed.  If we are below 15, we have every right to hate ESPN and AP faces off.

We also got extremely lucky and should have been closer to 7-5 and got destroyed in the Cotton Bowl so we should be grateful just being ranked preseason.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »
Finished top 10 and returning the white qb everyone likes to see bleed.  If we are below 15, we have every right to hate ESPN and AP faces off.

We also got extremely lucky and should have been closer to 7-5 and got destroyed in the Cotton Bowl so we should be grateful just being ranked preseason.

Poor broken bastard

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »

We didn't get destroyed in the Cotton Bowl, you liar.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »

was in attendance can confirm we did NOT get destroyed

Offline JKEYS

• Combo-Fan
  • Winner of the 2013 Ed's NCAA Challenge (RESPECT!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
14 in coaches
12 in AP

Mark it down

12 in coaches
14 in AP

*Coaches love OB, Assoc. Press still has some learning to do.
Kansas City SEO consulting.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »

was in attendance can confirm we did NOT get destroyed
Can confirm as well. However, it did feel like a slow dying death.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
We got destroyed. Physically destroyed. We lost to every team we were supposed to and won every tossup game. We won't be ranked at the end of next season and we probably shouldn't be ranked at the beginning.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
the white qb that the media loves is a big key for us, though.  will probably bump us up 3-4 spots compared to our team with a thug kid that white people are afraid of.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
the white qb that the media loves is a big key for us, though.  will probably bump us up 3-4 spots compared to our team with a thug kid that white people are afraid of.

That is why I took the time to post it.

I mean, every racist tuck has said that they would want their racist daughter to marry him.  Also, he bleeds a lot but continues to play....they seem to really love that crap too.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 04:10:08 PM »

That is why I took the time to post it.

I mean, every racist tuck has said that they would want their racist daughter to marry him.  Also, he bleeds a lot but continues to play....they seem to really love that crap too.

yeah

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »
We got destroyed. Physically destroyed. We lost to every team we were supposed to and won every tossup game. We won't be ranked at the end of next season and we probably shouldn't be ranked at the beginning.
Slice it however you want.  We won 10 games last season and return virtually everybody.

Liven up a little bit.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
Winnebago

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
TOP 20, bank on it.  :crossfingers:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
Slice it however you want.  We won 10 games last season and return virtually everybody.

Liven up a little bit.

NO!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
you wanna know something funny about last year? we were outgained in total yardage on the season. outgained and it wasn't even close. 5130 to 4381.

you wanna know something else that i think is kind of funny? that high powered collin klein led offense from last year that we all know and love. it managed 600 yards less on the season than the carson coffman lead offense the year before.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
you wanna know something funny about last year? we were outgained in total yardage on the season. outgained and it wasn't even close. 5130 to 4381.

you wanna know something else that i think is kind of funny? that high powered collin klein led offense from last year that we all know and love. it managed 600 yards less on the season than the carson coffman lead offense the year before.
How does points per game compare?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »

How much better was our TO margin than the year before?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »
POINTS PER GAME

2010 ksu-33.6 opp-29.1
2011 ksu-31.8 opp-27.9

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Daris: calling the 2010 offense the "Carson Coffman Offense" and not the "DT Offense" is a little off-base.  If you consider it, Klein did a great job of filling the gap left by one of the best RB's K-State has ever had.

On the other side of the ball, K-State's 2011 defense allowed about 700 fewer yards than the 2010 edition did.

Bottom line, K-State's 2010 offense was pretty good.  There was minimal fall off in 2011.  K-State's 2010 defense was abysmal, while it improved greatly last season.

We were a legitimately better team last year, despite losing Daniel Thomas.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Daris: calling the 2010 offense the "Carson Coffman Offense" and not the "DT Offense" is a little off-base.  If you consider it, Klein did a great job of filling the gap left by one of the best RB's K-State has ever had.

On the other side of the ball, K-State's 2011 defense allowed about 700 fewer yards than the 2010 edition did.

Bottom line, K-State's 2010 offense was pretty good.  There was minimal fall off in 2011.  K-State's 2010 defense was abysmal, while it improved greatly last season.

We were a legitimately better team last year, despite losing Daniel Thomas.

well idk about that. i mean statistics would say otherwise, but since when do things like stats matter? defense was better though, can't argue that. imagine if carson and the '10 team had the '11 defense.  :horrorsurprise:

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »
i think at least 8 teams we play next year are mumped

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »

If folks on GPC are 'tarded then you may be so, if only mildly.

I posted this earlier on the GPC board to those who go "meh, could have just as easily been 7-5...blah, blah luck blah"

Since people keep talking about "winning close" games as a worry from last year. I will reiterate once again...it isn't luck and the leadership ties into it.  The 2011 team has more leadership than any KSU team I can recall...we'll have it again in 2012.

Many of these games came down to the wire. Well, how does leadership play into that? It's simple.

1) Character
2) Decision-making
3) Resolve
4) Effort

People with strong character do NOT get rattled by exterior things such as the crowd or the opponent.  They remain on task in everything they do.  They do not let internal influences (exhaustion, doubt, etc) steer them from their duties or tasks. What is it people say about character when it comes to just about anything? Character is more defined by when things are NOT going your way.  Character reveals itself when you're tired (in basketball it is little things like attention to detail by not making silly turnovers) such as "grabbing grass" as a DL so you don't play too high.  The little things truly make the difference and character is a part of it.

Decision-Making speaks for itself. PREPARATION aids with the decision-making because LEADERS take it upon themselves to prepare. It doesn't matter if we're talking about being in the type of physical shape or approaching the game mentally (film study, knowledge of your offense or defense)...preparation is not something risked by LEADERS.

Resolve? Leaders and winners never given in. You're only as good as your last play. If you weren't that good on your last play do you give in or strive to do better?

Effort.  There are a lot of teams out there who do not play with the same passion or effort when the team they're tired or things are not going as well as they'd wished.  Teams with strong leadership play to the whistle and the final gun.

I honestly can't stand any of the "yeah, but we were lucky to win some of those games"....no, we were not. EVERYTHING we did in those crunch times or at important stretches of the game or specific situations was built from leadership. Remember, it takes 11 guys on your side to make plays successfully. Sure, some teams have better players but that doesn't mean all 11 on the other side are better on every play, or they're better prepared on every play, or make better decisions on every play.

We won for a reason and it wasn't "luck".

We will win close games again next year although I tend to think we'll have more blowout victories than a year ago.
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:50 PM »
This is the most excited I've been for a football season in my entire life. Even more so than '04.

Granted, in '04, I didn't have The Manhatter to get me so stoked.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »

If folks on GPC are 'tarded then you may be so, if only mildly.

I posted this earlier on the GPC board to those who go "meh, could have just as easily been 7-5...blah, blah luck blah"

Since people keep talking about "winning close" games as a worry from last year. I will reiterate once again...it isn't luck and the leadership ties into it.  The 2011 team has more leadership than any KSU team I can recall...we'll have it again in 2012.

Many of these games came down to the wire. Well, how does leadership play into that? It's simple.

1) Character
2) Decision-making
3) Resolve
4) Effort

People with strong character do NOT get rattled by exterior things such as the crowd or the opponent.  They remain on task in everything they do.  They do not let internal influences (exhaustion, doubt, etc) steer them from their duties or tasks. What is it people say about character when it comes to just about anything? Character is more defined by when things are NOT going your way.  Character reveals itself when you're tired (in basketball it is little things like attention to detail by not making silly turnovers) such as "grabbing grass" as a DL so you don't play too high.  The little things truly make the difference and character is a part of it.

Decision-Making speaks for itself. PREPARATION aids with the decision-making because LEADERS take it upon themselves to prepare. It doesn't matter if we're talking about being in the type of physical shape or approaching the game mentally (film study, knowledge of your offense or defense)...preparation is not something risked by LEADERS.

Resolve? Leaders and winners never given in. You're only as good as your last play. If you weren't that good on your last play do you give in or strive to do better?

Effort.  There are a lot of teams out there who do not play with the same passion or effort when the team they're tired or things are not going as well as they'd wished.  Teams with strong leadership play to the whistle and the final gun.

I honestly can't stand any of the "yeah, but we were lucky to win some of those games"....no, we were not. EVERYTHING we did in those crunch times or at important stretches of the game or specific situations was built from leadership. Remember, it takes 11 guys on your side to make plays successfully. Sure, some teams have better players but that doesn't mean all 11 on the other side are better on every play, or they're better prepared on every play, or make better decisions on every play.

We won for a reason and it wasn't "luck".

We will win close games again next year although I tend to think we'll have more blowout victories than a year ago.
Devil's Advocate:
The flip side is this though, will you blame this team as having a weak character, poor decision-making, bad resolve, and lack of effort if they lose close games next year? No you won't.  The intangables only matter when you want them to in order to fit a narrative.  If you really hold onto the "no luck" policy you should be consistent, but no one ever is.

I think our team was good and lucky.  It doesn't take anything away from last year to admit a lot of breaks went our way and we took advantage of them.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 10:56:06 PM »
Pretty much every team that wins ten games got lucky or pulled something amazing out of their ass during a few of those wins.  I'll fully admit that Miami and Baylor were both games we could have certainly lost but we made plays to win those games, we weren't lucky.