Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 186416 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #3000 on: April 12, 2024, 11:58:10 AM »
Precision is needed in professional environments like law or research and totally understandable. Everyday common speech though? Get over yourself imho.  ;)
I have a similar peeve for people who correct something grammar/usage wise despite knowing exactly what you meant, which is really the whole point of language if you think about it.

The best example of this are people who insist that you cannot end a sentence with a preposition (which often makes sentences more convoluted) while simultaneously refusing to use the Oxford comma.

fun news, the Grammar Police have recently issued a ruling that it's actually fine to end a sentence in a preposition. I guess the whole "no ending a sentence in a prepo" comes from latin-based languages, which english is not, so like, its actually fine. Wish they would have issued that ruling when i was in high school and having to write lots of papers.

Which means it was never a rule. That also doesn’t stop a lot of people going around trying to impose the made up crap they learned in 7th grade English class like they’re that Japanese soldier who kept fighting WWII for 30 years after it was over.
That's a hilarious metaphor.

It's a hilarious *simile  ;)

Big Oxford comma guy, here. Don't care about the difference between envy and jealousy. And I love starting sentences with a conjunction, although I was told it wasn't allowed in grade school. Also not afraid to end a sentence with a preposition. GTFOOMF with trying to force me to drop a "with which" on some poor soul.

When you've molded the clay of language for a while, you realize there really are no rules--only style.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: April 12, 2024, 12:04:25 PM »
Outback steakhouse, no rules--only style
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: April 14, 2024, 08:13:58 PM »
gelato.  is ice cream just not good enough for everyone

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.