Author Topic: Oh-Bama: playing with the numbers  (Read 12769 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Oh-Bama: playing with the numbers
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »
The new strategy is to move the unemployed onto disability after 99 weeks and simply pretend they don't exist.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »
when do baby boomers start being eligible for social security?

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »

Maybe this year?  :dunno:

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:30 PM »

Maybe this year?  :dunno:

Well using 1946 as a start date for that generation, I'd say some of them already have?   

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »
Double  :lol: at those who just ignore things like the labor participation numbers.

For Obamabots that statistical category is a game changer, because it keeps their guy from looking absolutely abysmal.

Do you like to compare apples to apples?  Or oranges?  This has been part of the unemployment rate calculation for decades.   If you want to change it for Obama, then change it for all the prior Presidents.  Or just find something else to complain about for Obama.

BTW, "participation rates" peaked in Clinton's second term.  They went down under Bush II.  But nobody cared because it doesn't really matter...
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
Only a moron (by definition includes all obama supporters) could look at this and not see a problem.

Derrrrrr, the denominator has no effect on the product, duurrrrrrr
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
Only a moron (by definition includes all obama supporters) could look at this and not see a problem.

It's hard to see a problem when the y-axis is not labeled.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2012, 05:07:12 PM »

It's hard to see a problem when the y-axis is not labeled.

Derrrrrrrrrrrr durrrrrrrrrrrrr you're a rough ridin' moron NK*

per FSD. <3 you NK because I think you are an OK dude.
:dance:

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »

So labor participation has dropped less than 4 percentage points as the largest demographic in the nation reached retirement age, we're in the midst of a technology revolution that has greatly increased productivity and population growth overall is slowing?

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2012, 11:55:45 PM »

So labor participation has dropped less than 4 percentage points as the largest demographic in the nation reached retirement age, we're in the midst of a technology revolution that has greatly increased productivity and population growth overall is slowing?

The baby boom demographic is overplayed. The population of the US has doubled in the last 65 years.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »
Baby Boomer demographic overplayed?  :lol:

1950 population growth with 145 million people = 2,972,000
2012 population growth with 314 million people = 2,822,860
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:46:34 AM by 06wildcat »

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »
If baby boomers represent about 25% of the population, they have a 19 year age spread, and the average life span is about 80 years, it would seem the country has pretty much outgrown the boomers. It would be completely irrelevant if social security didn't run like a ponzi scheme and governments didn't make ridiculous assumptions pertaining to population and economic growth. 

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
If baby boomers represent about 25% of the population, they have a 19 year age spread, and the average life span is about 80 years, it would seem the country has pretty much outgrown the boomers. It would be completely irrelevant if social security didn't run like a ponzi scheme and governments didn't make ridiculous assumptions pertaining to population and economic growth. 

It is hilarious how dumb you are. Thanks for posting a graph to back up my point.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »

It is hilarious how dumb you are. Thanks for posting a graph to back up my point.

I wasn't arguing your numbers, just a statement of the folly of social security and it's imminent demise. The government just isn't good at running our lives, yet more than half the population wants them more involved.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »
He isn't stupid, it just is nearly impossible to see what is happening to the U.S. demographically.  Follow the fat part.

http://populationpyramid.net/United+States+of+America/2000/

http://populationpyramid.net/United+States+of+America/2010/

http://populationpyramid.net/United+States+of+America/2030/

There is a big difference.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »

What a frivolous post.  A failed attempt to marginalize a horrific statistic.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
christ.  i hope we experience a pestilence, or some other horrific population decimating event before we get to 400 million.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »
... if social security didn't run like a ponzi scheme and governments didn't make ridiculous assumptions pertaining to population and economic growth. 

One of my biggest regrets about Bush being elected...   :cry:

MR. GORE: And here's what I would do, here's my plan. I will keep Social Security in a lockbox, and that pays down the national debt and the interest savings I would put right back into Social Security. That extends the life of Social Security for 55 years.
[...]
You know, Social Security is a trust fund that pays the checks this year with the money that's paid into Social Security this year. The governor wants to divert one out of every six dollars off into the stock market, which means that he would drain a trillion dollars out of the Social Security trust fund over the, in this generation, over the next 10 years, and Social Security under that approach would go bankrupt within this generation. His leading adviser on this plan actually said that would be O.K. because then the Social Security trust fund could start borrowing. It would borrow up to $3 trillion. Now, Social Security has never done that, and I don't think it should do that. I think it should stay in a lockbox, and I'll tell you this, I will veto anything that takes money out of Social Security for privatization or anything else, other than Social Security.
[...]

MR. BUSH:  No. There's enough money to pay seniors today and the current affairs of Social Security. The trillion comes from the surplus. Surplus is more -- is money, more money than needed.

Then Bush did what he said he would, and gave it all away in tax cuts...
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
... if social security didn't run like a ponzi scheme and governments didn't make ridiculous assumptions pertaining to population and economic growth. 

One of my biggest regrets about Bush being elected...   :cry:

MR. GORE: And here's what I would do, here's my plan. I will keep Social Security in a lockbox, and that pays down the national debt and the interest savings I would put right back into Social Security. That extends the life of Social Security for 55 years.
[...]
You know, Social Security is a trust fund that pays the checks this year with the money that's paid into Social Security this year. The governor wants to divert one out of every six dollars off into the stock market, which means that he would drain a trillion dollars out of the Social Security trust fund over the, in this generation, over the next 10 years, and Social Security under that approach would go bankrupt within this generation. His leading adviser on this plan actually said that would be O.K. because then the Social Security trust fund could start borrowing. It would borrow up to $3 trillion. Now, Social Security has never done that, and I don't think it should do that. I think it should stay in a lockbox, and I'll tell you this, I will veto anything that takes money out of Social Security for privatization or anything else, other than Social Security.
[...]

MR. BUSH:  No. There's enough money to pay seniors today and the current affairs of Social Security. The trillion comes from the surplus. Surplus is more -- is money, more money than needed.

Then Bush did what he said he would, and gave it all away in tax cuts...

One thing about Bush is he always did what he said he would, right or wrong. The only thing I miss about GWB.