Author Topic: The DACA masterpiece  (Read 37987 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: The DACA masterpiece
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »
Drugs will continue is to pour in. Trump is doing fine enough job of scaring everybody away from America....the wall isn't needed.

Because submarines, guys.

Seriously though, just like this will increase the price of human trafficking, it will likewise increase the price of drugs. Which is a good thing.

But never forget, #environmentaldisaster.

no it won't.  Drug guys aren't running drugs across 50 lbs. at a time. 

We get it...Trump is your guy and you can't go against him but this is dumb unless you are the concrete guy who gets this bid.

It stands to reason that a wall would further limit the ability to drive drugs across the border, allowing border security to provide greater focus at checkpoints. A border wall will not stop all drug and human trafficking, but it should make both harder. Harder = more expensive. Look, if you want to argue that the wall is still a waste of money, that's ok. You could be right, and we won't really know until it happens. But to argue that it will no effect on drug or human trafficking is a little over the top.
Want money to secure borders with technology and manpower? I can get down with that even though I think we have bigger problems to spend our money on...it's the physical wall structure that this dolt ran on in his campaign that he thinks he has to deliver.

It's an easy fix ...."after studying a wall we have found more effective methods to secure our border with technology". You satisfy campaign promise, you use my money intelligently to the biggest extent possible, and you show ability to bargin and pivot on ideas....but no.

Insane.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2018, 09:33:04 AM »
Kdub seems to be very ignorant of our current border security
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2018, 11:56:30 AM »
Drugs will continue is to pour in. Trump is doing fine enough job of scaring everybody away from America....the wall isn't needed.

Because submarines, guys.

Seriously though, just like this will increase the price of human trafficking, it will likewise increase the price of drugs. Which is a good thing.

But never forget, #environmentaldisaster.

it seems to me that higher priced drugs would actually lead to more suppliers seeking to enter the market and higher stakes / more violence in terms of maintaining markets and distribution networks. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 30, 2018, 01:43:29 AM »
I also agree that wall will reduce illegal immigration.   
1.  Makes it physically more difficult to cross by foot.
2.  A higher % of current illegals will either return or begin legal process to live in the country.
3.  Coyotes will charge more, so fewer immigrants will be able to  afford.
4.  Mexico will resume enforcing their southern border because they don't want Honduran,  Nicaraguan, etc. refugees settling in Mexico.

For 10 goddamned percent of the border, 10 percent! How are you and your cuck brother okay with that? Do you want actual border protection or not? If you actually want the wall and think money is no object you should be furious over the half-assed nature of this thing.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »
I don’t really believe the wall will ever be built. The government hasn’t even started the process of buying land yet.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
I mean, I totally get Republicans’ thought here. It’s like, if my boss won’t give me a big enough bonus to afford the boat I want, I might as well still buy 10% of it, right? At least it would make it harder for me to sink in the water, which is an improvement from my complete lack of buoyancy without a boat.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
I read an article making a case for illegals costing the US 500 billion a year, that would be worth putting a stop to.
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Yea, make them legal and tax their earnings.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
For 10 goddamned percent of the border, 10 percent! How are you and your cuck brother okay with that? Do you want actual border protection or not? If you actually want the wall and think money is no object you should be furious over the half-assed nature of this thing.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
^lol, this guy doesn't even know the difference between income and payroll taxes

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:53:11 PM by bucket »

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
I thought I read that trump was having one as a guest too :dunno:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
I thought I read that trump was having one as a guest too :dunno:

I was hoping Trump would invite one. But I think it would fine to just address the illegal immigrants that the Dems invite. "(Buhleeve me) I have proposed an immigration bill that will grant you a pathway to citizenship in exchange for stronger border enforcement and other much needed reforms. I hope the Democrats will join us in allowing you to finally come out of the shadows." #owningthelibs
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
it is very nice of Trump to take away something that everyone likes, and only agree to give it back if the democrats agree to build a wall

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
 :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »
The Wall - A Nation Divided https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-wall-cbsn-originals/

The area known as the Mariposa Wash is a hilly region in Arizona straddling the U.S.-Mexico border. It's cut in two, in some areas, by a sturdy, rusted metal fence with heavy gates. When the area floods during monsoon season, debris left behind by would-be border crossers is washed up against the fence in drifts of refuse. Water bottles, clothing, all the detritus of desperation is left clinging to the barrier.

Law enforcement officers patrol the area as far as the road allows. But where the road runs out, so too does the metal fence. Stretching off into the distance goes a ramshackle, stick-and-wire barrier of sorts, easily breached with a wire cutters or a simple leap. Beyond the road, it's this flimsy frontier, backed up by a sprinkling of technology, that maintains border security. It's areas like this that President Trump would like to see walled up.

Border and customs agents play cat-and-mouse with people trying to cross into America. They watch each other's movements, each trying to gain an advantage.

Border Patrol Agent Daniel Hernandez is part of a team that patrols a line in the sand from the Yuma county line all the way to the New Mexico state line, close to 400 miles of frontier. He points out a swath of land in the middle the size of Connecticut. It's the Tohon O'odham Nation reservation, through which a large portion of Arizona's smuggling traffic passes.

In many areas on the reservation the border is little more than a flimsy, ill-maintained fence.

"It's very sparsely populated. There are 11 or 12 villages and they're very small and spread apart, so the criminal element always tries to exploit the people here," he says.

President Trump's proposed border wall would run right through it. But this 30,000-strong nation, recognized as sovereign by the federal government, has other ideas. Their identities are tightly bound to the land. "Tohono O'odham" means desert people, and they see themselves as custodians of the land they inhabit. "Every stick and stone is sacred," says Verlon Jose, the vice chairman of the Tohon O'odham tribal council.

He's firmly opposed to the wall.

"If I were to go into your home and say, 'You know what? Today I think I'm gonna build a wall right smack in the middle of your apartment or your home. And if you wanna  get to the kitchen or to your restroom, you gotta ask me. And I have to give you permission to cross' -- how would you like that? That's what it means to our people."

Their nation is effectively split in two by the international boundary but its people go back and forth across it regularly to visit family and conduct tribal affairs, showing a tribal ID card at any official crossings they use. Large stretches of border, however, remain unfenced, meaning they can come and go as they please. A solid border wall would certainly curtail the abuse of their sacred lands by smugglers and illegal immigrants, but it would also threaten a way of life that is older than the United States.

This sets up an uneasy tension between federal law enforcement officials trying to enforce the law of the land, and the Tohono O'odham people, who believe they have ancestral rights to move freely across the modern border. Although there are plenty of places where illicit crossings can be made, official border crossings require all the trappings of officialdom every time: records, stamps, presentation of ID.

Ofela, a Tohono O'odham woman caught up at a border crossing, told us, "Where I live I drive 136 miles on the U.S. side to go get groceries. My father's community is only 15 miles on the south side of the border, and my mother's community is just a quarter of a mile and we have to go through this process every time. We want to be able to go visit our families on both sides of this border. What is the difficulty in that?"

What makes the tension trickier is that for the Tohono O'odham, it's not simply a matter of innocent grassroots culture. Some tribespeople are often found to be in cahoots with drug smugglers and cartels to stash or traffic drugs. The trade is simply too lucrative for some to ignore, which complicates matters.

For federal officials, the struggle is to balance respect for the nation's traditions with the need to secure a border against illegal activity.

"They want security and safety and we want the same thing. We have to tailor make our infrastructure and our technology to meet those demands, that is security and safety, while at the same time respecting their privacy, their sovereign land that is the reservation," Hernandez said.

In some areas, a wall is not necessarily the best solution. In a remote area, a technology tower may serve as well as a wall or a fence. In areas that are more heavily populated, a physical barrier becomes important. What actually gets built, and torn down at the same time, remains to be seen.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
it is very nice of Trump to take away something that everyone likes, and only agree to give it back if the democrats agree to build a wall

To be fair, it would be a big win for for dreamers (and dems) if a bill gets passed that includes a clear path to citizenship for dreamers.  A presidentially-enforced DACA could not do that.  I honestly have no problem with Trump's move to force action from congress on it.  I do have a problem with dems giving up totally unnecessary ground to try to pass something the vast majority of folks in the U.S. want to see passed.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
Even if the wall gets funded, it is pretty unlikely construction would begin before 2020. The next president will probably just decide not to build it.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »
I hope they at least get the wall built at the SD - TJ border. The one they have now works but it's ugly AF. A beautiful new concrete one would be nice.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 31, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
trump wants to give amnesty to 1.8 million illegals

WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE??

source: state of the union address

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 31, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
Its ok because Hillary.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 31, 2018, 10:55:51 PM »
Unlike democrats, republicans are actually willing to compromise. 1.8 million democrat voters for a border wall and immigration reform. That was always a non-starter for obama. without the wall, we go through this all again after another 30 years of declining wages for the poor. Democrats love the poor, and want to keep them that way.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2018, 06:52:56 AM »
But Trump said the economy and unemployment were better than ever, and we still don’t have a giant wall? :dunno:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:13 AM »
Well said birther dougie

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
Who does the bar with the $2000 tab represent in this scenario?