Author Topic: Serial killer thread  (Read 3594 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Serial killer thread
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2024, 09:55:33 AM »
Have we ever had a "could you get away with murder?" thread? Because while I don't believe I could go through with the act, if I did I think I could get away with it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2024, 09:56:15 AM »
I remember within the last year, authorities in KS and OK were working with BTK's daughter on some cold case murders/disappearances during the time he was active but also during the time he is not known to be active...

Never really heard any updates though.

John Douglass who helped develop the FBI profiling program in his book about BTK hypothesized that Rader found some other outlet when the murders stopped but others think he may have continued killing, just not in the wichita area.

What kind of other outlet? Because I can tell you, nothing beats the pure sexual thrill of murder.

douglas surmised that during the dead time he had a job as an city code enforcement officer where he basically got to drive around and give people citations for ridiculous things.

I'm pretty sure that people even called in to complain that he was a jerk/creepy.  Douglass thinks that he was likely casing people fantasizing etc.

Based on Douglass profile and his psychopathy, if there were murders, Douglass thinks that he would have been compelled to brag about them but who knows.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2024, 10:39:57 AM »
Have we ever had a "could you get away with murder?" thread? Because while I don't believe I could go through with the act, if I did I think I could get away with it.

my theory is not a chance. with all of the surveillance that is everywhere, the myriad of ways you can be tracked via a gps signal, and with the popularity of ancestry.com et al, there is absolutely no way you can pull it off w/o being caught on camera or pinging off a cell phone tower or whatever at some point during the commissioning of the crime. And then if you leave any dna whatsoever at the crime scene you are toast.

my tinfoil hat conspiracy is that since cops cant legally access your Ring footage without your permission, if <the person whose ring camera was pointed in the right direction> doesn't give cops permission then they still do it anyway to figure out who they like as a suspect, and then they just have to go about a different way of proving it was you that doesn't include the fact that you showed up on the Ring camera

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2024, 10:44:45 AM »
You think I'm murdering someone with my (known) phone on me? Yeah, you definitely couldn't get away with it.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2024, 10:48:58 AM »
You think I'm murdering someone with my (known) phone on me? Yeah, you definitely couldn't get away with it.

I think in the right environment, you could get away with it. I believe in you (but don't actually do it).

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2024, 11:32:26 AM »

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2024, 11:37:56 AM »
I took "The Mind of a Serial Killer" at Kansas State back around '06 and it was a, very dark, but delightful class. The homicide detective that got BTK spent an entire 8 hour day talking to our class about the case. He looked and sounded very similarly to Al Pacino which made it even more fun.
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2024, 11:45:15 AM »
I took "The Mind of a Serial Killer" at Kansas State back around '06 and it was a, very dark, but delightful class. The homicide detective that got BTK spent an entire 8 hour day talking to our class about the case. He looked and sounded very similarly to Al Pacino which made it even more fun.

I took a seminar course taught by Dick DeGuerin, who is probably the most famous criminal defense attorney I know of. He's the guy who got Robert Durst off for murdering and dismembering that guy somewhere around Houston.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2024, 12:08:22 PM »
John Douglas' books mindhunter (series is based off of) and BTK are great.

There's another called cases that haunt us that isn't as good.

Douglas profile of BTK led them to come up with the idea to put the lead detective front and center and make him look like a "super cop" that was assigned to catch a "super killer" IE BTK because JD hypothesized that this would be irresistible for BTK and that BTK would engage with this "super detective" because BTK thought he was so much smarter than everyone else.

And it worked like a charm.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2024, 12:35:51 PM »

Douglas profile of BTK led them to come up with the idea to put the lead detective front and center and make him look like a "super cop" that was assigned to catch a "super killer" IE BTK because JD hypothesized that this would be irresistible for BTK and that BTK would engage with this "super detective" because BTK thought he was so much smarter than everyone else.

One of my high school baseball coaches worked for the WPD and supported getting him. I remember very distinctly him with a very big (and well deserved) crap eating grin on his face when they aired the arraignment on the radio during our field day (when we literally were prepping the fields for the season all parents and players). It was something kinda cool to have witnessed.

And yeah, to hear the whole story of how they got him was crazy. The home depot he dropped stuff off at was literally a half mile from my house growing up and we went all the time. Was kinda surreal how close he was that whole time.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2024, 12:38:24 PM »

I took this as an intersession class in December 2008.  I think they called it Social Construct of a Serial Killer.  It was a 500 level sociology class.

By far the best class I ever took.  Lietenant Landwehr was the guy who spoke on BTK.  We also had FBI agents walk through scenes.  We watched a decent amount of Dexter.  We also had a girl talk with the class who survived being killed by a serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells (Krystal Surles).  Everything we saw was uncensored.  I remember signing a waiver to participate in the class.  Some of the photos from BTK crime scenes and an interview were never shown publicly. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2024, 12:49:14 PM »

I took this as an intersession class in December 2008.  I think they called it Social Construct of a Serial Killer.  It was a 500 level sociology class.

By far the best class I ever took.  Lietenant Landwehr was the guy who spoke on BTK.  We also had FBI agents walk through scenes.  We watched a decent amount of Dexter.  We also had a girl talk with the class who survived being killed by a serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells (Krystal Surles).  Everything we saw was uncensored.  I remember signing a waiver to participate in the class.  Some of the photos from BTK crime scenes and an interview were never shown publicly.

Yes! That's the same one!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2024, 01:53:49 PM »

i didn't want to expound too much in that last post, but the cell phone thing is kind of a double edged sword for those looking to do a murder. Like if you have your phone with you then yeah, you are going to be in all the wrong places and will have some explaining to do. But if you leave it at home, the cops are gunna be like, huh, so for the window of time where this crime took place you (and your phone) were at home, using no data...didn't make a call or send a text or read gE or play candycrush or nothin for that entire time. And i mean yeah sure you can say you were taking a nap but the point is your sus lack of phone activity during the critical timeframe aint gunna get you off the suspect list.

I did see a dateline where the guy had his sidepiece come over and stay at his apartment all day, play on his phone, watch netflix, send text messages, while he drove (her car) 8 hours to go kill his estranged wife...even went to the trouble of filling up a couple of gas cans so that he wouldn't have to stop for gas and show up on some gas station surveillance video. But obvs that only would work if you had an accomplice willing to participate.

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2024, 01:56:25 PM »
or just turn on Spotify or something like that.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2024, 01:56:58 PM »
I have at least 2-3 people who would do me that solid. The bigger issue is avoiding traffic cams and other cams. It's really not possible in a city.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2024, 02:04:17 PM »

One of my high school baseball coaches worked for the WPD and supported getting him. I remember very distinctly him with a very big (and well deserved) crap eating grin on his face when they aired the arraignment on the radio during our field day (when we literally were prepping the fields for the season all parents and players). It was something kinda cool to have witnessed.

And yeah, to hear the whole story of how they got him was crazy. The home depot he dropped stuff off at was literally a half mile from my house growing up and we went all the time. Was kinda surreal how close he was that whole time.
I was in Wichita for the state wrestling tournament the day they arrested him. As we were taking the van to the arena(coliseum?) we saw all these cop cars and streets blocked off just off the highway...turns out it was BTK getting arrested.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2024, 02:43:10 PM »

like i said, that kind of alibi is by no means exculpatory. If you were a person of interest before giving that alibi, you're still going to be a person of interest after.

and like spracs said re: traffic cams...I don't remember the exact number but the average person who leaves their home to go to work or otherwise go about their day shows up on surveillance cameras ~40 times a day. Like i said, i don't remember the exact number, the point being, its virtually impossible to fully cover your tracks.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2024, 03:06:46 PM »
If you go into this with the mindset that you're going to be a suspect, then yeah the murdering and getting away with it business is not for you

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2024, 03:08:41 PM »
If you go into this with the mindset that you're going to be a suspect, then yeah the murdering and getting away with it business is not for you

That's why I always say your best bet is to murder a drifter in Western Kansas.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2024, 03:58:36 PM »

like i said, that kind of alibi is by no means exculpatory. If you were a person of interest before giving that alibi, you're still going to be a person of interest after.

and like spracs said re: traffic cams...I don't remember the exact number but the average person who leaves their home to go to work or otherwise go about their day shows up on surveillance cameras ~40 times a day. Like i said, i don't remember the exact number, the point being, its virtually impossible to fully cover your tracks.
how often do you fantasize about murdering the pizza guest friends?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2024, 04:00:19 PM »
Put me in the camp of star seed 7 not being able to get away with murder.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2024, 04:53:09 PM »

how often do you fantasize about murdering the pizza guest friends?
too much heat right now to even fantasize. i'm sure they've told their friends and loved ones "if anything happens to us...look at BAC"