Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378938 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4550 on: February 03, 2022, 09:15:19 PM »
when I was a little kid there was a Sears across the street from this place in another 3 story similar building. A dang Sears, in Meade. Could buy a Washer and Dryer. Also the one I posted looked actually nice and fancy for a good part of my really little kid life. Almost certainly based on my knowledge of the world at that age but MAYBE because it hadn't gone completely off the cliff yet.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4551 on: February 03, 2022, 09:42:46 PM »
When I was a kid Moran had a movie theater.  A young IC saw the movie The Car there. Hid behind trees every time headlights started down the street on my walk home.

Not a very good photo. Building has now been torn down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: February 03, 2022, 09:48:19 PM »
When I was a kid Moran had a movie theater.  A young IC saw the movie The Car there. Hid behind trees every time headlights started down the street on my walk home.

Not a very good photo. Building has now been torn down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice try trynna pass off a 1970's photo of Times Square, pfffft.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #4553 on: February 04, 2022, 11:53:54 AM »
Glad to see Wellington is thriving these days. When I was there for 30th reunion in 2019, downtown was full of shops. Old movie theater was still kicking. Guess they're close enough to Wichita to keep the different industries rolling in addition to the Wichita commuters.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: February 04, 2022, 07:55:18 PM »
When I was there for 30th reunion in 2019,
:sdeek:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #4555 on: February 04, 2022, 08:37:37 PM »

When I was there for 30th reunion in 2019,
:sdeek:

Hello, classmate?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: February 06, 2022, 10:33:55 AM »
Bounced over to St Louis today for the Gateway Farm Toy Show.  SD, that pocket ledger from Meade, KS set you back $40.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: February 06, 2022, 11:31:05 AM »
wow!
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: February 06, 2022, 09:21:11 PM »
Amazing markup there by Tom, grabs a $10 ledger and tells SD it costs $40.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: February 07, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
Oh man, I think my folks still have the 4020 (4320?) like the one on the floor that I used to play with. I think I had that plow, too. One of my bud's dad would wire together stacks of Ralgro cartridges so you would have more than one round bale to use in the JD round baler.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: February 07, 2022, 09:57:04 AM »
Bounced over to St Louis today for the Gateway Farm Toy Show.  SD, that pocket ledger from Meade, KS set you back $40.

Tom

Oh man. This makes me sad. Mrs SF's grandpa that passed away last year had shelves full of old John Deere toys still in the original boxes. I had little interest in them, but it was sad seeing them get sold. They needed the cash and it helped out a lot, but it sucked seeing some of his favorite things get sold at auction to pay for rough ridin' dementia care.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: February 07, 2022, 10:14:43 AM »
Meade, KS is an international brand

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: February 07, 2022, 05:29:07 PM »
Meade, KS is an international brand

I mean you have Hartshorn Implement AND the old Meade Manufacturing that was turning out some top notch camper's back in the day.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: February 07, 2022, 07:56:53 PM »
This was my purchase at the show replicating my bro inlaw real life set up.

JD 8R 370 tractor
Brent 1196 grain cart

In 1/64 scale

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: February 07, 2022, 08:34:17 PM »
Who is ready for a cat ranch update? My parents have basically been YOLO'n all of January on cruises and then my dad went back to the cat ranch for a week so I haven't talked to him for a while until I went over for dinner tonight.

Long Story short despite record crop prices and fully paid off land the cat ranch didn't make any money this year because my dad is not very good at managing a farm. He made some money contracting out work on the partially irrigated circle to grow milo but the 260 ish acres he sharecropped out to some guy to break out and plant milo on took all that profit away since only about 20% of the milo headed out(elite farm term I learned). Of course my dad blames the tenant for selecting the wrong type of seed. Then the tenant decided to just leave it instead of baling it for feed or whatever.

Great for me since it was loaded for pheasant but anyways...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:46:42 PM by ben ji »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: February 07, 2022, 08:39:20 PM »
I say this with utmost respect: lmao

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: February 07, 2022, 08:43:39 PM »
So for the past couple of weeks my dad kept hinting about some "turnkey" solution where we don't have to worry about anything on the cat ranch and just make money. I asked my mom what he was talking about and she had no idea because she gives no F's about what goes on out there.

Over dinner tonight my dad explained this great plan he came up with where he just leases all of the land to the local land baron and doesn't have to worry about anything! This local land baron's HQ is like 3 miles away from the cat ranch, he farms the land across the road from us and we are distant cousins. He met with the local land baron last week and realized he would of made alot of money this year if he had just leased it to him so in the near future that is the plan.

I just sat there with my insides boiling saying "Wow, yeah that is a great idea" even though I have been telling him to do that since day one.  :dubious:

Also here is a great quote from ben ji's dad "I thought I knew alot about farming but apparently not enough to make any money. So whatever you think you know is probably less"  :lol:

I didn't mention that I have been conversing with some intelligent farm bro's on the internet for like 5 years trying to learn as much as I can about farming and immediately realized it was best just to lease that crap out and cash your subsidy checks while the land appreciates.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: February 07, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
Our distant cousin is the local land baron of thomas county and their home base of operations is like 2 miles away from our farm so I made my dad promise to try and contact him to see if he would be interested in leasing/custom working the circle and possibly breaking out the good part of the pasture and we left it at that.

:crossfingers: :pray: :crossfingers:

:dubious: You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: February 08, 2022, 03:49:24 AM »
Our distant cousin is the local land baron of thomas county and their home base of operations is like 2 miles away from our farm so I made my dad promise to try and contact him to see if he would be interested in leasing/custom working the circle and possibly breaking out the good part of the pasture and we left it at that.

Ah but you can if he is thirsty enough.  :fatty:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: February 08, 2022, 10:39:38 AM »

You could also try and get him to sell the absolute crap out of it and head on over to the investing and crypto threads.   :kstategrad:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: February 08, 2022, 10:42:05 AM »
Land is so dang expensive right now. He’d make a killing irl. That said, land only gets more expensive and in my entire life there he never been a time where farmers were not saying “land is so expensive right now! It’s outrageous” so maybe a good thing to just hold on for infinity.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: February 08, 2022, 02:30:07 PM »

You could also try and get him to sell the absolute crap out of it and head on over to the investing and crypto threads.   :kstategrad:
But then I would have to hunt pheasants on public land with all the peasants.

Also as SD mentioned land prices only go up.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: February 08, 2022, 02:46:17 PM »

yeah, I get this, but land can't buy you a bunch of fun crap, pay for kids college, buy your kid a house, retire early, etc. I'm dealing with the same thing, but with a lot less land. Its still worth quite a bit though, and there is zero chance of selling. It produces a decent amount of income, which is great, but if it were me, I'd sell the eff out of it. I'm able to take the emotion out of financial decisions though and I get that having land in the family for a long time is a big deal to people. Feelings don't pay bills worth a crap though.

Plus, I would miss all of the Cat Ranch updates if your dad sold it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: February 08, 2022, 02:46:26 PM »

Yea avoid this outcome at all costs,  no crypto gains are worth giving up prime pheasant hunting
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: February 08, 2022, 03:08:08 PM »

Yea avoid this outcome at all costs,  no crypto gains are worth giving up prime pheasant hunting

Also, the crypto thread will just be full of people saying they don't care how high bitcoin goes, "I'm never selling". Bitcoin=Farmland