Author Topic: Private schools vs Public schools  (Read 9748 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Private schools vs Public schools
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 12:22:01 PM »
Can we please steer this thread back to going yard at Cico Pluto?  That was BBS'n at its finest.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 12:22:35 PM »
Conversely, I don't understand people without kids that choose to live in suburbs because of the bad schools in the city.

I came to the realization the other day that I very well could live my entire life without living in a hip/urban environment  :frown:

you can get a place in tortuga's building when you move back to mhk.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:09:56 PM by rick daris »

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
Never understood why someone would live in a place shitty enough to not give a eff about their schools then pay a private school.  Just rough ridin' move people.  Priorities and stuff. 

KCMO is a fantastic example.  Lots of good options within commuting distance, yet people still live in KCMO.  If you aren't cripplingly poor, I don't understand. 

i'd rather shoot myself in the eyes with your wife's tit milk than live in JOCO.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
 :lol:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
Never understood why someone would live in a place shitty enough to not give a eff about their schools then pay a private school.  Just rough ridin' move people.  Priorities and stuff. 

KCMO is a fantastic example.  Lots of good options within commuting distance, yet people still live in KCMO.  If you aren't cripplingly poor, I don't understand. 

i'd rather shoot myself in the eyes with your wife's tit milk than live in JOCO.

I also agree with this, but could see why many would choose it over KCMO.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
Never understood why someone would live in a place shitty enough to not give a eff about their schools then pay a private school.  Just rough ridin' move people.  Priorities and stuff.  

KCMO is a fantastic example.  Lots of good options within commuting distance, yet people still live in KCMO.  If you aren't cripplingly poor, I don't understand.  

There's a lot of value to living in a city. Like, commuting generally sucks. I can understand how people don't understand the appeal, but if I returned to KC I would prefer to live in KCMO if I could afford the right neighborhood and private schools.

Conversely, I don't understand people without kids that choose to live in suburbs because of the bad schools in the city.

I get that people like convenience of living in a higher pop density.  Just don't get people barely scraping by so that they can pay the tuition bill when they could move 5 miles west and be much more financially secure. Financial security is a much more basic need than having a cool indie movie theater within walking distance of your house.  So is a quality public school dist.

I don't think most people that live in Brookside or wherever with kids are "barely scraping by". And it isn't like property values will be identical 5 miles west of Brookside.

I came to the realization the other day that I very well could live my entire life without living in a hip/urban environment  :frown:

It's all what you make of it, no matter where you live.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
Never understood why someone would live in a place shitty enough to not give a eff about their schools then pay a private school.  Just rough ridin' move people.  Priorities and stuff.  

KCMO is a fantastic example.  Lots of good options within commuting distance, yet people still live in KCMO.  If you aren't cripplingly poor, I don't understand.  

There's a lot of value to living in a city. Like, commuting generally sucks. I can understand how people don't understand the appeal, but if I returned to KC I would prefer to live in KCMO if I could afford the right neighborhood and private schools.

I get that people like convenience of living in a higher pop density.  Just don't get people barely scraping by so that they can pay the tuition bill when they could move 5 miles west and be much more financially secure. Financial security is a much more basic need than having a cool indie movie theater within walking distance of your house.  So is a quality public school dist.

I don't think most people that live in Brookside or wherever with kids are "barely scraping by". And it isn't like property values will be identical 5 miles west of Brookside.

I came to the realization the other day that I very well could live my entire life without living in a hip/urban environment  :frown:

It's all what you make of it, no matter where you live.

Nope, but some of the surrounding areas are full of shitty little houses that cost as much as a nice house 5 miles west.  I am not talking about that can easily afford to make the public school decision.  Those people would prob have their kid in private school no matter where they lived.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »
Nope, but some of the surrounding areas are full of shitty little houses that cost as much as a nice house 5 miles west.  I am not talking about that can easily afford to make the public school decision.  Those people would prob have their kid in private school no matter where they lived.

I'm calling bullshit on shitty little houses in KCMO costing the same as a nice house 5 miles west.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
my fairly extensive experience with people who have kids in private school is that they seem to have plenty of money to burn.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »

I'm calling bullshit on shitty little houses in KCMO costing the same as a nice house 5 miles west.

i was going to, but then i thought about it.  5 miles west of brookside puts you in the lamar ave/metcalf area.  the houses in brookside are probably nicer and worth more.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »
Truth be told, in JOCO, the only differences are:

Money
Uniforms
Religion being taught

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »

i was going to, but then i thought about it.  5 miles west of brookside puts you in the lamar ave/metcalf area.  the houses in brookside are probably nicer and worth more.

he said outside of brookside. Really not sure what he's talking about. Maybe Waldo?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »

he said outside of brookside. Really not sure what he's talking about. Maybe Waldo?

Yeah, the 5 miles is a slight exaggeration.  My point is that you could live in mission or roeland park, still be a v short commute and not have to have your kids in KCMO dist.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »

Yeah, the 5 miles is a slight exaggeration.  My point is that you could live in mission or roeland park, still be a v short commute and not have to have your kids in KCMO dist.

I still call bullshit on someone living in a shitty house east of Troost in KCMO being able to afford any house in Roeland Park or Mission.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Well this all just got v. boring.   :flush:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »

I still call bullshit on someone living in a shitty house east of Troost in KCMO being able to afford any house in Roeland Park or Mission.

"Troost" just appeared out of thin air.  Bringing in Troost to the discussion means you need to start back at the beginning where I mentioned something about being poor...

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »
"Troost" just appeared out of thin air.  Bringing in Troost to the discussion means you need to start back at the beginning where I mentioned something about being poor...

so where in KCMO are these people who live in shitty little houses and send their kids to private school? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry for boring you sb. :jerk:

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
Please ignore sb and go on. I find this conversation intriguing.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
Alright, so I know where this is going.  I will put in time to find the locations on a map so that I can put approx addresses to them, then spend time some how finding property value information and comparing it to KS side, then you will tell me that they aren't comparable for some reason, then I will tell you they are for some other reason, then ultimately it will come down to a discussion about aesthetics and how that a house is nice due to it's craftsman style and era of construction, and I will tell you that it has rot and the cost renovation of these older homes, then we will discuss what else makes a house "nice", etc.

I don't know.  I just don't see how this does anything for me at this point. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
Alright, so I know where this is going.  I will put in time to find the locations on a map so that I can put approx addresses to them, then spend time some how finding property value information and comparing it to KS side, then you will tell me that they aren't comparable for some reason, then I will tell you they are for some other reason, then ultimately it will come down to a discussion about aesthetics and how that a house is nice due to it's craftsman style and era of construction, and I will tell you that it has rot and the cost renovation of these older homes, then we will discuss what else makes a house "nice", etc.

seems like you're doing a lot of typing when you need to be looking up houses and property values.  :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »

seems like you're doing a lot of typing when you need to be looking up houses and property values.  :dunno:

Pretty dece at typing  - that took me like only a few seconds.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »
Just give me a neighborhood in KC that you're referring to. Seems pretty easy to me. :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »
Just give me a neighborhood in KC that you're referring to. Seems pretty easy to me. :dunno:
  It's not an entire neighborhood. It's pockets of houses in several neighborhoods.  Also, I am not real strong on where the defining lines of the neighborhoods on the mo side are.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
I have met dozens of Rockhurst grads and have yet to meet one that isn't completely mumped in the head.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »
I have met dozens of Rockhurst grads and have yet to meet one that isn't completely mumped in the head.
RHS is the only private worth the $ and that is due to the "mafia"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:41:58 PM by Skipper44 »