Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 114558 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #1325 on: October 12, 2023, 05:20:51 PM »
well, the single game interception record is 7 held by Lynn Dickey:

https://www.huskermax.com/game/1970-kansas-state-football/

I doubt Will has a combined 8 turnovers against Texas Tech Saturday.

That sent me down quite the rabbit hole.  He got drafted in the 3rd round after a senior campaign that saw him throw 7 TD's and 26 INT's!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 12, 2023, 05:23:12 PM »
You gotta imagine at some point during that season they started calling him Lynnterception

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 12, 2023, 05:54:32 PM »

That sent me down quite the rabbit hole.  He got drafted in the 3rd round after a senior campaign that saw him throw 7 TD's and 26 INT's!
i was friends with his daughters when we were all at ksu cats u together, and met lynn many times.  nice dude.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 12, 2023, 06:08:02 PM »

And he had a 15 year NFL career!

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 12, 2023, 06:29:15 PM »
The best example of how shitty K-State football used to be is that our most decorated football player pre-Snyder was a QB that threw for 7 TDs and 26 INTS in his senior season.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 12, 2023, 06:30:45 PM »
Was 1970 before the advent of pass interference?  Dickey might have been playing NFL Blitz out there.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 12, 2023, 07:08:34 PM »
Was 1970 before the advent of pass interference?  Dickey might have been playing NFL Blitz out there.
Well there was an incident in Dickey's 7 interception game where one of his receivers was kicked out for knocking a ref's hat off when he thought there should have been a pass interference call

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 13, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
Jonathan Beasley was benched for Adam Helm in the second half at Iowa State in 1999.  Beas wasn’t giving up his starting spot, but a change was needed in that particular game.  This was the situation last week at OSU.  Howard was struggling.  Bench him and try to save the game.  You can still go back to him the next week.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 13, 2023, 12:05:20 PM »
Jonathan Beasley was benched for Adam Helm in the second half at Iowa State in 1999.  Beas wasn’t giving up his starting spot, but a change was needed in that particular game.  This was the situation last week at OSU.  Howard was struggling.  Bench him and try to save the game.  You can still go back to him the next week.

At this point, if Howard can't find a rhythm in the pass game, we ought to go back to that 1999-00 Beasley offense where 75% of the plays are runs and most of the passes are aimless hail mary's down the field to soften up the defense.

I was at this ISU game and that comeback was incredible - especially the ISU fan reaction. Priceless.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 13, 2023, 01:13:11 PM »

At this point, if Howard can't find a rhythm in the pass game, we ought to go back to that 1999-00 Beasley offense where 75% of the plays are runs and most of the passes are aimless hail mary's down the field to soften up the defense.

He had one bad game. It's really his first bad game since 2021*.

*you could count Bama as a bad game but that's a bit different than all the other opponents

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: October 13, 2023, 01:23:57 PM »
What is your threshold for a bad game?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 13, 2023, 01:41:32 PM »
What is your threshold for a bad game?

I didn't have a specific criteria in mind but when I when I looked back at the game log the only real stinkers since 2021 were @OSU, Bama, and @OSU. So it looks like a sub-100 QBR might work?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 13, 2023, 01:56:41 PM »
The UCF game seemed like a stinker to me but maybe it wasn't that bad

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 13, 2023, 02:10:26 PM »

You can call it bad but he had 250 yards passing, 64% completion, and we scored 44 points.

Plus, it was the most yards of total offense we've had against a conference opponent since at least 2011. (I stopped looking at 2011)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 13, 2023, 02:22:50 PM »

You can call it bad but he had 250 yards passing, 64% completion, and we scored 44 points.

Plus, it was the most yards of total offense we've had against a conference opponent since at least 2011. (I stopped looking at 2011)

OK, I kept looking and the 536 yards of offense were the most against a conference opponent since 2008 when we had 550 yards in a 58-35 loss to OU. (the score was 55-28 at halftime lol)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2008-10-25-kansas-state.html

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 13, 2023, 03:25:43 PM »

OK, I kept looking and the 536 yards of offense were the most against a conference opponent since 2008 when we had 550 yards in a 58-35 loss to OU. (the score was 55-28 at halftime lol)

That's fine, but the UCF defense is atrocious (43.7 ppg in Big 12 games). It's bad enough that it almost needs an asterisk next to it.

This year, Will's passer rating is 20 points below his rating last year. He's 26 attempts shy of his total volume of throws from last year, but he had 6 more passing TDs last year and three fewer INTs. His avg. per attempt is down from 8.2 to 7.1. Even with his 80-yard run last week, his avg. yards per carry is down a full yard this year (from 5.8 ypc last year to 4.7 ypc this year). His QBR this year is 69.5 - 38th in the country.

Did we feel like Will was the 38th best QB in the country during the second half of the season last year?

By all measures, Will is playing worse this year than last year. I think that's the concern - especially given that he made an enormous leap from 2020-21 to his play last year. Expecting the same level of play - or, even better play - is/was certainly not unreasonable.

And all of that doesn't even take into account the golden child now sitting on the bench. Factor that it too and it's easy to see why people are antsy.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 13, 2023, 03:55:47 PM »

It was 28-28 at one point in the first half!

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 13, 2023, 04:06:28 PM »

The game seemed a lot different back then lol. Even DOD1 surprising that our stud QBs were throwing around 50%.

Back to record watch, I think we will see Avery long before Will has a chance to hit 7 ints in a game

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 13, 2023, 04:43:50 PM »

That's fine, but the UCF defense is atrocious (43.7 ppg in Big 12 games). It's bad enough that it almost needs an asterisk next to it.

This year, Will's passer rating is 20 points below his rating last year. He's 26 attempts shy of his total volume of throws from last year, but he had 6 more passing TDs last year and three fewer INTs. His avg. per attempt is down from 8.2 to 7.1. Even with his 80-yard run last week, his avg. yards per carry is down a full yard this year (from 5.8 ypc last year to 4.7 ypc this year). His QBR this year is 69.5 - 38th in the country.

Did we feel like Will was the 38th best QB in the country during the second half of the season last year?

By all measures, Will is playing worse this year than last year. I think that's the concern - especially given that he made an enormous leap from 2020-21 to his play last year. Expecting the same level of play - or, even better play - is/was certainly not unreasonable.

And all of that doesn't even take into account the golden child now sitting on the bench. Factor that it too and it's easy to see why people are antsy.

you're totally right that he's worse statistically, but I don't think he's in "can't find his rhythm" mode because of one bad game as we mentioned. I wonder how much Deuce boosted his numbers last year, not just in raw numbers but as a threat to be accounted for.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 13, 2023, 04:44:42 PM »
so many people here trying to tell our quarterback whisperer how to whisper, hilarious

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 13, 2023, 04:52:56 PM »

Well we are using QBR in this comparison and it was 110 against UCF which is pretty bad.  It's on par with how he ended 2021.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 13, 2023, 05:07:19 PM »

Well we are using QBR in this comparison and it was 110 against UCF which is pretty bad.  It's on par with how he ended 2021.
Ok

Online Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: October 13, 2023, 05:41:03 PM »

It was 28-28 at one point in the first half!
We'll always have 28-28
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 14, 2023, 07:42:39 AM »
i think tonight will tell us all a lot about “manhattan mahomes”

hopefully he bounces back and shows lubbock what a real mahomes looks like

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 14, 2023, 01:14:43 PM »
I hope you're right, clams.  The CKs are still on his side and so am I.  :Woot:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.