Author Topic: Pools  (Read 6358 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Pools
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2021, 11:51:04 AM »
I'm either putting in a pool or buying a house with a pool. I've tried to put one in but every pool contractor is booked out for like 24 months. need to, like, out bid some jerk who got in ahead of me or something.

Don't say I didn't warn you. The juice is definitely not worth the squeeze. Pool chemistry is bullshit and maintenance of the pumps and lines is even worse. Another hidden pain in the ass of having pools is that there are a lot of really bad pool contractors out there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
up until just a couple of years ago thought that all water polo was played in intertubes

:lol:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2021, 11:56:12 AM »
Inground pool and both built in and portable hot tubs.   PITA's

Had'em all.

Best days with the last portable hot tub (a really nice one) was when the crane dropped it in, and when the new buyer and 6 other guys hauled it away.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2021, 11:57:24 AM »
I'm either putting in a pool or buying a house with a pool. I've tried to put one in but every pool contractor is booked out for like 24 months. need to, like, out bid some jerk who got in ahead of me or something.

hire AST, that’s what he does! and after each of his hard days of work you can have him cook your beautiful family a delicious meal
maybe he could stay in your basement during the project

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2021, 11:58:24 AM »
I make a pretty damn good living doing nothing but installing, maintaining, & repairing pool equipment.  Ask me any pool equipment related question.  I can answer general questions in regards to cleaning, chemistry, & structural issues but that is not my main focus.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »
One thing I would note here is that a guy that makes his living doing pools, did not think it was worth it to get an in ground pool for his own family.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »
I make a pretty damn good living doing nothing but installing, maintaining, & repairing pool equipment.  Ask me any pool equipment related question.  I can answer general questions in regards to cleaning, chemistry, & structural issues but that is not my main focus.

Does having a terra that is relatively sandy and having a terra that has deep frost lines make it difficult to install and maintain pool lines. Here in Iowa I hear a lot about moving lines, and heaven knows it happened to our pool a lot. Seems like these issues could be problematic in Nebraska too, no?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2021, 12:46:16 PM »
One thing I would note here is that a guy that makes his living doing pools, did not think it was worth it to get an in ground pool for his own family.
Just get the ast cow tank special.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
Country club membership is cheaper.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

yeah, my neighborhood already has a private pool we pay for. the problem with the 'hood and the cc are all the 'hood and cc chuds.

Have your buds come there for a week or 2 and get superpak’d and behave at your preferred pool in whatever way would disgust the chuds away more so than the chuds disgust you away.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2021, 01:14:19 PM »

Does having a terra that is relatively sandy and having a terra that has deep frost lines make it difficult to install and maintain pool lines. Here in Iowa I hear a lot about moving lines, and heaven knows it happened to our pool a lot. Seems like these issues could be problematic in Nebraska too, no?

That would be a great “structural” question of an engineer or a reputable builder in your area, who may or may not have an engineer on retainer for his builds.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2021, 01:47:12 PM »

Don't say I didn't warn you. The juice is definitely not worth the squeeze. Pool chemistry is bullshit and maintenance of the pumps and lines is even worse. Another hidden pain in the ass of having pools is that there are a lot of really bad pool contractors out there.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2021, 01:48:45 PM »
- Salt or chlorine
- Concrete or fiberglass
- Best whatever else things you’d suggest for an Omaha like climate that is actually Omaha irl. Also the pool owner will contract out all maintenance in case that factors into the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »
Also having a high water table may be something I’m dealing with at current casa so opine on that if able

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2021, 01:51:58 PM »

i'm with MIR here. I know about 5-6 people with pools and I hear them bitch a million times more about what a PIA the pool is than how much they like having a pool. The best pool is your neighbor's pool.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2021, 01:53:21 PM »
my parents love having a pool and i love them having a pool

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »

i'm with MIR here. I know about 5-6 people with pools and I hear them bitch a million times more about what a PIA the pool is than how much they like having a pool. The best pool is your neighbor's pool.

I bitch about it at times for sure, but it is worth it.  He's absolutely right about most pool contractors being the bottom of construction barrel. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
Ok last party poop and then I will stop, a pool is basically as dangerous as leaving around a loaded gun for your kids to play with.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2021, 02:32:03 PM »
Ok last party poop and then I will stop, a pool is basically as dangerous as leaving around a loaded gun for your kids to play with.

Need more good guys with pools. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »
The only way to stop a bad kid without a pool is a good guy with a pool.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2021, 02:58:02 PM »
Do you have statistics about this? Not trolling here, I would be interested to see how drowning rates compare for kids who live in a house with a pool vs no pool, etc.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2021, 02:59:50 PM »
Can't you just hire people to take care of the maintenance stuff? (Also considering acquiring a pool.)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »
Can't you just hire people to take care of the maintenance stuff? (Also considering acquiring a pool.)
That’s what I’m askin’ here!

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2021, 03:23:28 PM »
I think that's what a 'pool boy' is.  You should consult with your wife before hiring one though because she might want a certain look since she's going to have an affair with him.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2021, 03:25:52 PM »
I think that's what a 'pool boy' is.  You should consult with your wife before hiring one though because she might want a certain look since she's going to have an affair with him.
I’m the one who works from home. If anyone is having passions with this guy it’s me.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2021, 03:31:34 PM »